BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Free Firewall And Av Options

Hi:

I have a Dell netbook that was bundled with McAfee, which is already annoying me with its pop-ups.

I only intend to access the web with it using Windows when I am away from home doing work (using wifi or O2 payg dongle), the rest of teh time I will have Ubuntu on a flash drive.

If I was working away from home, I'd just need to use the citrix server connection, and Thunderbird. Would windows firewall and AVG be a good option? I'd like to get shot of the McAfee, it's blinking annoying.

Thanks

Hi:

I have a Dell netbook that was bundled with McAfee, which is already annoying me with its pop-ups.

I only intend to access the web with it using Windows when I am away from home doing work (using wifi or O2 payg dongle), the rest of teh time I will have Ubuntu on a flash drive.

If I was working away from home, I'd just need to use the citrix server connection, and Thunderbird. Would windows firewall and AVG be a good option? I'd like to get shot of the McAfee, it's blinking annoying.

Thanks

i would say so, but imo antivir works better than AVG (though you do get 1 pop us when it updates advertising the full internet security package they do) again thats just in my opinion

I used AVG free version very happily for 2-3 years on 3 laptops. I've recently upgraded to the paid for version and have been very happy with both, obviously you do get more for your money with the paid version! Pop ups rarely occur, my only whinge being the machines do slow down during a full system scan but that is easily overcome by scheduling for when you are sleeping.

AVG constantly rates poorly in tests, I had a problem with a virus once when I used it as well.

I changed to Avira Antivir and it's much more impressive, it scores as high as the paid for ones as well. There are plenty of 30 seconds guides to disabling the popup advert depending on what operating system you use. AVAST! is probably the next best after that.

COMODO is a good shout for the firewall though, especially if you use a home network.

AVG constantly rates poorly in tests, I had a problem with a virus once when I used it as well.

I changed to Avira Antivir and it's much more impressive, it scores as high as the paid for ones as well. There are plenty of 30 seconds guides to disabling the popup advert depending on what operating system you use. AVAST! is probably the next best after that.

COMODO is a good shout for the firewall though, especially if you use a home network.

I have used AVAST anti-virus for the last 6 years or so and never had a problem with it,very highly recommended especially as it is free too! :tu:

Archived