BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Train Station For Ewood And South Blackburn

cruz

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have often wondered, and when I say often I really mean a couple of times, how much does it cost to buy a train? EG One of them new posh Virgin jobs, Inter City. Million quid?

If it's too much for us just now we might be able to afford some nice second hand ones from Africa or India.

I have often wondered, and when I say often I really mean a couple of times, how much does it cost to buy a train? EG One of them new posh Virgin jobs, Inter City. Million quid?

They (new posh Virgin Pendolinos) were ordered in 1997... 53 trains cost (at the time) 1.2 billion quid, or ~22.5 million quid per train.

Per carriage (they are 9 carriages long) that's about 2.5 million. These costs included full maintenance (I think for 10 years, maybe longer).

The UK government has recently ordered a further 106 Pendolino carriages - 4 new 11 coach trains and the remainder to lengthen 31 of the existing trains to 11 coaches.

That order for 106 coaches is costing £1.5 billion ... meaning these 4 new trains are costing a worrying 156 million quid each (~14 mill per vehicle) - maintained until 2022.

Archived