BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Train Station For Ewood And South Blackburn

cruz

"Train" station is an Americanism.

So unless you are American please give it its correct name of railway station.

My grandad is half yank, does that count? :P And it's just a word. I see it's a pet peeve of yours, but I'll call it what I want ta. People still know what I mean, and that's all that matters, eh? ;)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My grandad is half yank, does that count? :P And it's just a word. I see it's a pet peeve of yours, but I'll call it what I want ta. People still know what I mean, and that's all that matters, eh? ;)

I have to be honest and say that I've never called it a 'railway' station. It's always been a train station.

As for whether there should be one at Ewood, why not? I won't use it because it's much easier and quicker to drive from Preston and do the Livesey Branch road...

Jesus H Christ you can tell the schools are off :lol:

The proposed railway station isn't just for Ewood and it's hoards of fans but to make the railways more accessible for the people of Ewood, Lower Darwen, Higher Croft etc etc.

Rather than having to get a bus or heaven forbid a taxi into town they can hop on a train and then connect to anywhere in the country. Improved railway link help regenerate local economies.

If you want to walk then walk, if you want a taxi get a taxi, and get off a Mill Hill if you want but I am sure there are plenty of others who would love a station in the ewood, lower darwen area.

And as for more car parks rememeber that the pleasure of the motor car is a luxury few will enjoy 20 years from now thansks to excessive taxation. Plus the council will not allow more car parking. I work at BAe and they wouldn't allow any more parking there and that's out in the country

It would encourage football fans from the Ribble Valley & Manchester areas (& beyond) to leave the car at home & jump on the train to the match.

Since I moved to Bamber Bridge I have used the train for Rovers. Hate night games as I have to drive from work.

I'll call it what I want ta. People still know what I mean, and that's all that matters, eh? wink.gif

People who don't like declining standards would say talking and writing correctly is all that matters.

I have to be honest and say that I've never called it a 'railway' station. It's always been a train station.

Then you have always been wrong.

And as for more car parks rememeber that the pleasure of the motor car is a luxury few will enjoy 20 years from now thansks to excessive

Au contraire, cars are significantly undertaxed and it is cheaper to drive a car now in real terms than it was 25 years ago.

It's a long time since driving a car was a pleasure because the roads are so crowded.

I work for network rail at the blackburn depot and all corners of the NW can be reached via crossovers at each end of Blackburn stationand in most cases without changing trains. Mill hill station is as close to ewood as your likely to get as the BUrnley to bromley line past ewood is about 30 feet below ground level and has no road access and then goes over the bridge on branch rd near uncle jacks pub which is about 80 foot high.

People who don't like declining standards would say talking and writing correctly is all that matters.

Then you have always been wrong.

Au contraire, cars are significantly undertaxed and it is cheaper to drive a car now in real terms than it was 25 years ago.

It's a long time since driving a car was a pleasure because the roads are so crowded.

Hence the need for an alternative to the Tarmacadam routes

<_<

I hope the BBE car park isn't used for parking by other companies or anything! Where would all the learners go with their dad's to practice parking, reversing corners, 3-pt turns and above all U-TURNS?!?!?

Whitebirk Industrial Estate like the rest of us did when there were houses on the BBE car park....

I hope the BBE car park isn't used for parking by other companies or anything! Where would all the learners go with their dad's to practice parking, reversing corners, 3-pt turns and above all U-TURNS?!?!?

:D A few years ago, I took my daughter on the Bburn End car park for her first ever 'lesson.' Told her to put it in first gear, very slowly let out the clutch and then just nice and slowly tootle round, staying in first gear. She let out the clutch but was pressing too far down on the accelerator. The car shot forward at speed, she panicked, kept the accelerator where it was and we hurtled towards the fence by the river. Must say I also panicked and twice bellowed 'BRAKE'which had no effect at all. The fence was coming towards us at the speed of light but somehow at the last minute she did brake and performed an emergency stop just before we went swimming in the River Darwen!

:D A few years ago, I took my daughter on the Bburn End car park for her first ever 'lesson.' Told her to put it in first gear, very slowly let out the clutch and then just nice and slowly tootle round, staying in first gear. She let out the clutch but was pressing too far down on the accelerator. The car shot forward at speed, she panicked, kept the accelerator where it was and we hurtled towards the fence by the river. Must say I also panicked and twice bellowed 'BRAKE'which had no effect at all. The fence was coming towards us at the speed of light but somehow at the last minute she did brake and performed an emergency stop just before we went swimming in the River Darwen!

So you taught her a tricky bit of the test before she got into 2nd (or killed you)??? I applaud you my man! :tu:

Re car parks and possible match day park and rides, Blackburn council are currently doing a survey of public transport in the borough and are keen to get the views of fans coming to Ewood. Someone from the council will be coming to the next but one Fans Forum in April to talk about this and I intend to raise the subject of park and ride there. Any ideas welcome before then.

I'd be happy to use Park and Ride if it provided a better alternative. As we are generally slow out of the ground and back to the car Livesey Branch Road is usually jammed by the time we get there, it takes around an hour to leave the ground, back to the car and drive five miles home! P&R should work well but only if the coaches are given some form of priority - I don't want to pay to spend an hour getting home but would pay to get back quicker.

I feel the major problem with P&R is the local road network can't provide a faster route for P&R while it's clogged with cars and I doubt P&R would attract enough people to significantly reduce the traffic flow.

Narrow boat would work! smile.gif

The reason for the Station at Ewood is more than 24 games per season. With a reasonable bridge from the Rovers Car parks the ground could then become a train'park and Ride' hub into the Town centre. It would then mean that less cars were on the last mile into the Centre and parked there all day(a bit like Walton-le-dale for Preston). A train station would be ideal (and if we can land a man on the moon,not impossible to engineer) but until then electric buses into 'success city' would be the answer(working in reverse for matches)

The benefits for Rovers would be:

- more investment in Car Parking

- more people visiting the zone(Club Shop,Blues bar etc)

-more connection with the Council(this always needs topping up)

and - further opportunities for the future of Ewood generally.

It just needs progressive thinking and some political push. Part of the Marketing for the new 'City mall'

opening this year really. A 'win-win' situation - until the miserablistas start knocking it!

I'd be happy to use Park and Ride if it provided a better alternative. As we are generally slow out of the ground and back to the car Livesey Branch Road is usually jammed by the time we get there, it takes around an hour to leave the ground, back to the car and drive five miles home! P&R should work well but only if the coaches are given some form of priority - I don't want to pay to spend an hour getting home but would pay to get back quicker.

I feel the major problem with P&R is the local road network can't provide a faster route for P&R while it's clogged with cars and I doubt P&R would attract enough people to significantly reduce the traffic flow.

Could always join us in the Blues for an hour - in the meantime all the traffic has gone and it'll take ten minutes to get home :)

Hi folks, this is my first post to the forum, so I would like to say a big hello! I grew up on Nuttall St. and when I was about 16, a gentleman called Jack Walker kindly bought our ramshackle old house to expand the Rovers empire! I've been catching the train between Blackburn and Manchester for about 12 years.

I set up the Rovers and Bburn South station website to help me found out about the the logistics and history of having a station in this area. The site and Facebook group have been up a week or so, and it's been a very interesting experience so far - I've spoken to all kinds of people who know about the ins, outs and history of this. Here's some of the things I've gathered so far:

- There are 3 stations in Blackburn West and none in Bburn South

- The train line in question is the Clitheroe - Manchester which stops at (among others) Blackburn, Darwen, Bromley Cross, Bolton, Salford and Manchester Victoria - connecting Manchester to Ewood and vice versa.

- A station here would allow the people of Highercroft, Fishmoor, Livesey and Lower Darwen easier access to the train network (and potential commute to Bolton / Salford / Manchester)

- Train travel and this line is extremely popular, with lack of carriages and overcrowding currently being a problem

- A campaign to get a station in this area was started 20 years ago and apparently failed because nobody consulted the public about the potential site

that was chosen

- There are at least three potential locations for a station to serve the people of the areas above and travel to and from Ewood Park including the old lower Darwen station.

- The cost of a station in this area would be at least £2m for single track and at least £4m if the line is redoubled

- There are a significant amount of logistical issues creating a station in the area

- It should be railway station rather than train station (technically :)

- Councillor for Ewood and BRFC have always supported a train station on this line (Mill Hill station isn't much help for people travelling on this line, hence the support from those guys)

- There are tremendous parking problems still in the area and these will get worse as they are losing a large number of current parking facilities in the area

- A station here would be a part of the jigsaw to helping to improve public transport in the area.

This is quite a long and complex debate, but on the positive side - I would think that anything that played a part in helping people get to the ground or made public transport better would be a good thing. If you agree, then i would LOVE it if you could show your support by joining the Facebook group (on the website) and perhaps inviting fellow Rovers fans and others who you think would support the idea. It may just help the authorities think about this situation.

I work for network rail at the blackburn depot and all corners of the NW can be reached via crossovers at each end of Blackburn stationand in most cases without changing trains. Mill hill station is as close to ewood as your likely to get as the BUrnley to bromley line past ewood is about 30 feet below ground level and has no road access and then goes over the bridge on branch rd near uncle jacks pub which is about 80 foot high.

That 80 ft bridge is roughly where the old station used to be.

Perhaps I should lay on a regular service Paul!

P&R is also an excellent idea - I'm trying to find out a bit more about that.

One or both of these ideas might help the situation.

A train station would help those people who are on the train line but who don't or can't get to the game by car.

The train station also would help people on non-match days. Judging by how popular the other stations are on this line on non-match days, I think it would be worth it, but of course a full and up to date feasibility study would be needed - hopefully this will happen at some stage.

pissing myself laughing

If you want to walk then walk, if you want a taxi get a taxi, and get off a Mill Hill if you want but I am sure there are plenty of others who would love a station in the ewood, lower darwen area.

It wouldn't be much good to me now, but it used to be great having a station in Lower Darwen.

It wouldn't be much good to me now, but it used to be great having a station in Lower Darwen.

And it could be again! My brother in law lives in Lower Darwen and he's quite into the idea of re-opening the station there so he can get to Manchester on the train. He reckons it might make his house more desirable when he comes to sell it also as it could then be on the commute line.

How sad am i? :huh: I actually checked google earth to see if the line from Blackburn to Darwen was a single line :unsure: .....it is, barring the passing loop at Darwen station.

So did I and finished up tracking the old line over the massive bridge in Feniscowles; found out it ran through Abbey Village, Brinscall and on into Chorley. :closedeyes:

So did I and finished up tracking the old line over the massive bridge in Feniscowles; found out it ran through Abbey Village, Brinscall and on into Chorley. closedeyes.gif

Ain't that the old Blackburn - Wigan line, used to branch off at Cherry Tree ?

Archived