BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Digest And Links (Summer 2010)

Guest Wen Y Hu

update 3 of 4

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 2, 4pm - Aug 2, 5:15pm Note that nicko was active answering questions on the transfer thread during this period.

Any comments should be confined to the relevant threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

-------

Alan Nixon, Please say that Utaka isnt the one we are looking to sign!

UTAKA...mentioned him a couple of weeks back...he is available...I would not dismiss that out of hand.

But the more I hear the more I am convinced that Rovers are chasing after two different strikers and are nowhere near landing either of them.

--------------

?????

Remember you heard it here first. I'll give you just a little clue then you can all spend now till Wed AM wetting yourselves.

Begins with N.....ends with t and is something of a nugget.

Just thought you'd all like that......tee hee heee!!

-------------

Cue Utaka outrage...

Utaka??????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USHHQRodF88

I'd rather have Beattie.

Cryer tweeting it's not Utaka.

I dont think Cryer knows f' all about it, but in this case I'm praying hes right :lol:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

update 4 of 4

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 2, 5:15pm - Aug 2, 7:40pm Note that nicko was active answering questions on the transfer thread during this period.

Any comments should be confined to the relevant threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

---------------

Nicko leaves us a teaser.....

I think I know who one of the two - and don't laugh but possibly THREE - strikers is being chased.

This one is new, really odd, never been mentioned to my knowledge, and will surprise.

Trying to put some more meat on the bone for 11 o'clock.

Going dark in meantime - no PMs please.

But could know more in a hurry.

Cue responses...

Am i being overly negative by assuming really odd is bad news?

Odd as in surprising...

[quote name=nicko' date='02 August 2010 - 13:31 PM' timestamp='1280770318'

post='932238]

Obviously you won't want to give anything away but which bracket will it fall under?

1) Majority if not all pleased, some excitement. EG Bellamy/Crouch

2) Majority if not all agree it's okay and worth doing. EG Jo

3) Split of people crying doom and some looking at the positives. EG Heskey

4) Majority if not all think it's a pointless/poor signing. EG Jason Scotland

5) Mass suicide. EG Fowler

Or...

6] Never thought of that one, can see the good side, can see the bad side...jury out...

Is this going to be one of those Cilla Black suprise suprise moments?

Yes.

-------

A lot of rumours on LET website that it's Ricky Lambert and we will loan Nick Blackman and Grant Hanley to them for the next 12 months

update 1 of 2

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 2, 7:40pm - Aug 4 8;20am Note that nicko was active answering questions on the transfer thread during this period but this post concentrates on the interesting breaking news on the club sold thread.

RevidgeBlue, on 03 August 2010 - 14:02 PM, said:

I'm not sure what Sam was on about but I'm quite sure no party has ever reached the stage of arrying out due dilligence.

Nicko replied: It was a slip of the tongue...about two weeks ago...possibly born from frustration...no wonder.

Premier League are contacting potential purchasers of Prem clubs to alert the to new rules on ownership

RoversNCarolina broke this amazing piece of news: Could this be true?

300M takeover

Kamy posted: Not heard of this new guy, will try and check him out with some people in India. Rovers are still talking to Saurin Shah group.

Then Craigman posted Mre information in the Daily Telegraph

Simonsays added: Article written by Paul Kelso. Highly respected journo. Known to have his finger on the pulse.

update 2 of 2

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 2, 7:40pm - Aug 4 8;20am Note that nicko was active answering questions on the transfer thread during this period and we ran up 23 pages of posts.

Posted 02 August 2010 - 17:13 PM

Cryer tweeting it's not Utaka.

Nicko: I think I know who one of the two - and don't laugh but possibly THREE - strikers is being chased.

This one is new, really odd, never been mentioned to my knowledge, and will surprise.

Trying to put some more meat on the bone for 11 o'clock.

Going dark in meantime - no PMs please.

But could know more in a hurry.

Odd as in surprising...

Presty On Tour, on 02 August 2010 - 18:30 PM, said:

Is this going to be one of those Cilla Black suprise suprise moments?

Nicko- Yes.

Anti-Dingle-Brigade, on 02 August 2010 - 18:24 PM, said:

Obviously you won't want to give anything away but which bracket will it fall under?

1) Majority if not all pleased, some excitement. EG Bellamy/Crouch

2) Majority if not all agree it's okay and worth doing. EG Jo

3) Split of people crying doom and some looking at the positives. EG Heskey

4) Majority if not all think it's a pointless/poor signing. EG Jason Scotland

5) Mass suicide. EG Fowler

nicko- Or...

6] Never thought of that one, can see the good side, can see the bad side...jury out...

nicko- Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:47 PM

Today's name is James Vaughan at Everton.

Stumbled on it by accident this afternoon when another interested club [Championship-level] told me they had fancied him but that Blackburn Rovers were in.

Managed to check tonight and the lad knows about the potential move...and it is in some way tied in with Jason Roberts [no idea about what that means either].

It is actually a reasonable thought. The fella has had a lot of trouble with injuries but has talent and could come again with proper care and attention.

Vaughan is too brave for his own good, basically.

Everton want rid - after loaning him out last season. The fee would not be silly.

The one snag in the short-term is that the clubs face each other in the opening game.

I am not saying this will definitely go through because I have never known Rovers thrown so many names in the air as they have done recently.

But it's a live one and we shall see what happens in the next few days.

Got to say I think it is possible that three strikers will arrive by the end of the window - if Roberts goes obviously.

nicko- VAUGHAN - not surprised by mixed reaction...a bit shocked when I heard his name...but then again he has been on the radar before...one of those that could pay off spectacularly or be a waste of [some] money...I have always liked the guy because he is such a trier...fitness obviously a problem.

FATY - supposed to be in tomorrow...don't think the local paper has done much on that one...wonder why?

ASSULIN - has arrived for his Man City trial...watching that with interest.

OTHER TARGETS - as it stands there are many...this really is a fluid picture right now...but, after all, August has just started.

Liverpool Echo article on Vaughan

Kamy- Posted Yesterday, 06:23 AM

The Lancashire Telegraph reports that Rovers are closing in on their first signing, before anyone gets to excited it is Iranian Midfeilder Teymourian. He has passed the medical and Rovers are seeing if they can obtain a work permit before concluding the deal.

Norwegian link to Abdoulaie in Norwegians

Sky link us to Diouff who is not related

SKy link us to Yebda

Majiball, on 03 August 2010 - 14:13 PM, said:

I liked the look of him last year, seems to know exactly where the goal is.

Trouble is didn't Nicko say he was on silly money 60K or such a week???

Nicko- Klasnic is on nothing a week now...contract cancelled.

Hughesy, on 03 August 2010 - 14:51 PM, said:

Is he heading for Bolton?

nicko- Looks like it. Unfortunately. Not the best in my view.

den, on 03 August 2010 - 15:49 PM, said:

Andy Cryer:

"Vaughan has been 'talked about' but certainly not their main target at mo. Perhaps an option if Jason leaves."

nicko- And the main target is...

Oh, still not named the mystery chap.

How strange.

pancini, on 03 August 2010 - 16:15 PM, said:

To be fair though Nicko Andy Cryer works for a little local newspaper. You are working for a large national newspaper must have more contacts than he does and you dont know either

nicko- It's a Premier League club...far from 'little.'

I can only tell you who I know Rovers are chasing - probably miss plenty of targets myself. I think I have named most of the ones that have been chased - Lewandowski, Dindane, Piquionne - and the ones who have come up lately in Heskey, Jo and now Vaughan.

But just taking the party line from the club is tedious.

There is a lot happening right now and all I read about from the local paper is denials and 'mystery targets.'

pancini, on 03 August 2010 - 16:21 PM, said:

Yeah and with his broader knowledge should have more information coming to him from the other clubs Andy Cryer will only hear what is coming out of Rovers whereas Nicko should be hearing what is coming out of lots of other clubs

nicko- Yeah...and nobody is admitting to be the 'mystery seller' I should add...

Hughesy, on 03 August 2010 - 16:55 PM, said:

Nothing further on Grella - Unleaded & Nicko said it was happening, but nothing yet?! Has Fatboy turned up?

nicko- Grella's camp claim the deal is done...why would anyone be surprised if that was going to be the case...Gala tried for him earlier in the summer and narrowly failed to do it...ffs!

Faty was supposed to be in today. No idea if he is.

Been concentrating on several other clubs who are actually doing business.

Got to say, why bring in another midfielder unless one is shipping out.

Still no idea why Teymourian is coming.

But never apply logic to football.

nicko- Posted Yesterday, 06:21 PM

I understand the kid Gai Assulin was excellent at training with Man City today...watch that space...

Sky link on Faty's trial

LT link- no Utaka interest quote from Utaka's own people

nicko- Posted Yesterday, 10:47 PM

The pathetic apology for an 11 o'clocker that will still somehow be denied or clarified by the local paper/twitter/blog/whatever.

Only news is that Rovers are trying extra-hard to ship out Roberts.

That tells me [a] they do not have a buyer for him already, things must be really bad between him and Sam and [c] there must be two strikers coming in or it's 4-6-0 against Everton.

Loads going on elsewhere.

Business at usual at Ewood.

Zurab not going to Turkey

QOTSA posted- JR will be leaving on a free most likely. That's what's being talked about at the moment. There's no rift between the player and the manager though. If anything they're in full agreement about the future!

Kamy- Posted Today, 06:31 AM

Lancashire Telegraph have a interview with Grella, he says that he is prepared to call time on his International career so that be can do well for Rovers.

More Diouff

Metro link very strong on Jo

The club has confirmed the Syed bid:

Kamy Posted 12 minutes ago

BRFCS can confirm that a new bid has been made to purchase Blackburn Rovers. It has been widely reported in the media that business tycoon Mr Ahsan Ali has made a bid to buy Rovers.

Mr Ali's media consultant Julia Thiem has talked exclusively to this website. She has confirmed that they have made "a formal bid to purchase Blackburn Rovers, has been submitted and is being considered by Rothchild's and the Trustees of Blackburn Rovers", she added "we are extremely interested in buying the club and hope to conclude the deal as soon as possible".

More on this breaking story soon.

update 1 of 2

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 4 8;20am - Aug 5 7;45am Note that but this post concentrates on the interesting breaking news on the club sold thread- all 18 pages of it!

Bit of background on WGA in Australia

Kamy Posted Yesterday, 08:29 AM

I have e-mailed Ahsan Ali's media consultant Julia Thiem and asked if she is able to comment on this morning's reports regarding Mr Ali purchasing Rovers. Lets see what she comes back with or even if she replies.

Kamy Posted Yesterday, 09:24 AM

All very encouraging. In my conversation with Ms Theim she came across as very professional, she has agreed to keep me updated on the progress of the bid as long as I don't break any confidences, she was happy for me to quote her on the comments on the front page but other stuff she said was off the record. All I will say is that it was extremely positive.

Don't know much about Mr Ali, on the face of it he does seem to have the right credentials, hopefully Philip or someone can get some background information on his financial history.

Background on WGA acquisition of McCabe

Kamy Posted Yesterday, 09:44 AM

People also need to read the article published in the Daily Telegraph, the information for that article came from Mr Ali's company.

Kamy Posted Yesterday, 09:47 AM

I think that there are two genuine bidders for the club. Mr Shah's group are still talking to the club, however these guys seem to be well organised and are moving a lot faster than Mr Shah's group, this is possibly because they have the finance in place both in the short and long term whereas Mr Shah's group may not have.

Nicko Posted Yesterday, 10:02 AM

I'm all in favour of that...although the Daily Telegraph should get the gold star for breaking it. Kamy on the case before most - as usual.

Kamy Posted Yesterday, 10:04 AM

Majiball, on 04 August 2010 - 10:00 AM, said:

Kamy, You said to read the telegraph article, can one assume that the details in there represent this bidders concept for the club should they buy it?

- I would say so, it has come directly from the people associated with the bid so it outlines what they hope to achieve with Rovers.

1864roverite Posted Yesterday, 10:05 AM

1864roverite, on 01 August 2010 - 22:00 PM, said:

To make things even more mystical, I have been out this evening and shared a drink in Leyland with a member of a very local clubs backroom staff and according to them the rumours floating around are that the takeover by the so called Indian consortium has come to a stand still and that is a second group that has gone further down the negotiation line. The person in question is very close to Ewood staff having previously worked with BRFC so I have no doubt about their word.

Wouldnt go as far as saying who the second group may be but indicated that there was an English connection which made me think back to the guy who was linked to us and then Sheff Wed however I couldnt get any more details or information. The sad thing is, is that this person makes it clear that Rovers are a very attractive option for anyone wanting to own a Premiership club because of the business footing the club finds itself on.

Could be an interesting week.

POSTED SUNDAY !!!!

LT link- note this got updated several times during the day.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:26 AM

RevidgeBlue, on 04 August 2010 - 11:23 AM, said:

Why crticise people for being unduly negative about the Shah bid but then raise exactly the sort of concerns about the new interest?

If I may make so bold you always seem to be wholly supportive of bidders you first break the news about and generally dismissive of bidders that you aren't first to the presses with!

-I am not being critical. I am trying to find more out about the guy. Is there something wrong with that?

The big question here surely is WHY?

And, by the way, when did I 'support' Williams, Ronnie, the Altrincham mate of Brad's, Shah or the Thais...not to mention the Middle East people?

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:48 AM

Iceman, on 04 August 2010 - 11:43 AM, said:

BTW Alan, you did previously mention that there were more than one interested party, so why are you surprised that this has come up? Did you not know about Syed's interest?

-There was an American group hanging around who were - supposedly - still in the frame while Shah was trying to get his act together.

I had never heard of Syed until this morning.

Just puzzled about some things around this. Like, why. And how did it come out...in exactly the form it was used in the Daily Telegraph and elsewhere?

Arabian Business News link

I wonder what Shah and his pals make of this. If HE has money behind him they won;t want to be beaten to the purchase.

Genuinely interesting times.

WGA's annual report

Balwer Key points

Syed has 90% shareholding in the company, the other 10% is to a company which I imagine represents the rest of the management team.

The gearing level is high (91%) however all the loans are in the form of related party, so this is effectively equity, therefore in reality there is no gearing.

The 1bn in related party loans are given under the name of Ahsan Ali Syed, so it has either come from him and his family or been provided to him outside the business.

The majority of the revenue was generated from advisory fees. This is standard practice for asset management firms and normally represents 1-2% of the total funds managed on an annual basis. There is also however a 10m franchise fee, I am unsure of the details of this however.

There is not £8bn available, there is $850m available to invest, $500m of which has apparently been allocated in two separate, interest-bearing loans, the $350m is 'dry powder'. There are no details of where these loans are invested.

To summarise, a very-rich or very well-financed man has started his own asset management firm, focusing on debt-financing. He has invested $850m into the company. All his revenue appears to have been generated as fees from his own capital, while $500m appears to have been loaned out to two separate businesses. There does not seem to be a clearly stated focus or vision for the business, and nobody at my office here in London has heard of them.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 12:09 PM

Balwer, on 04 August 2010 - 12:03 PM, said:

Thanks Nicko, it's not that hard when you do it for a job though, just have to know what to look for. Like I said the guy appears to have serious asset backing but it's where that capital is deployed that I am concerned about, as the details are vague, and there is no indication that these guys have a proven record in asset management. As you mention, the timing is very suspicious. Hopefully we will learn more in due course.

-The guy could be genuine. He seems a player in the world of business...with the Irish and Aussie things happening right now too.

However I don't see any football background in him or his team or allies [yet] and wonder what his motivation is.

Many Premier League clubs have been bought for strange reasons recently. This fella may be legit. But who knows?

Profile of Syed's approach to business

philipl Posted Yesterday, 01:08 PM

Just skimmed the WGA accounts which make interesting reading.

It is essentially, Ahsan Ali Syed's personal investment vehicle- he has loaned it a cool $1bn in cash equivalents to manage on his behalf and it yielded $92m profit in 2009- a middling level of return depending on when the cash went in.

Interestingly it is forecast to become a $3bn operation this year; it is not clear where the extra $2bn is coming from.

In terms of red flags, this is a tiny operation- salaries of $600k (Yaya Toure earns that in two weeks) and fixed assets of $100k of which $7,000 is computer equipment. A tribute to the power of modern IT that you can run a $1bn investment fund on the equivalent of a couple of fancy laptops.

The reality is that WGA is just the most public face of Ahsan Ali Syed.

BBC link

nicko Posted Yesterday, 01:21 PM

Ok, a slither of news on this.

Sounds like the guy has a football advisor on board. A football agent, from what I gather. No harm there. It explains the leak and where it came out.

So perhaps a 'plan' has been formulated to make the thing pay...

Interesting that people - quite rightly - hail Udinese for what they have done. The only snag Rovers would face is the work permit problem. Many of their South American prospects in recent years would not have been allowed into this country. But I digress.

Exiled in Toronto Posted Yesterday, 01:36 PM

Exciting news, dampened only by the predictable negativity.

There are plenty of valid reasons for someone to want to buy a Premier League club:

Hobby - Al Fayed has been a great owner for Fulham

Can never spend it all anyway - Abramovich - he's spent more on yachts than he has Chelsea

Branding vehicle with almost unlimited tv exposure - I know Emirates don't own Arsenal, but their very long term deal is only one step away from permanent ownership

Capital growth - Plenty of people have got rich by selling clubs for more than they paid for them, usually on the back of...

Projected future increases in profitabilty - EPL football is still ridiculously cheap to watch overseas, I get every game in full for ten quid a month. There is a PoV that overseas rights are still in their infancy

nicko Posted Yesterday, 01:48 PM

Earlydoors, on 04 August 2010 - 13:44 PM, said:

What I definitely don't accept is that investors can make money from developing players.

- I would have to disagree on that one...

If this guy is real he should go out and buy the entire Spain under-19 midfield and possibly defence.

It would cost maybe £30-40 million.

And in the next decade you would sell one a season or so and get your dough back.

Do I get a commission for that idea?

nicko Posted Yesterday, 02:18 PM

Majiball, on 04 August 2010 - 13:56 PM, said:

Please tell me its not that twitter Nathenial.

- His name is not the one I heard...he could hardly work for two teams...could he?...well, maybe...but not the name I got.

broken picture frame Posted Yesterday, 03:01 PM

The Rover of Finland, on 04 August 2010 - 14:58 PM, said:

The sound of this Indian is much better. The press conference rumour bothers me a lot. But Nicko should know if there was a press conference. Shouldn´t you be there Nicko?

- There is no press conference, why would it worry you?

Apologies if this has been posted already:

CV - Ahsan Ali Syed

Founder and President Based in Bahrain, Ahsan Ali Syed is the founder and President of Western Gulf Advisory (WGA). He founded WGA in 2008, following in the footsteps of his family who have over 150 years of history in private sector lending across Asia. Mr. Ali has been self-employed since the age of 16 and closed his first significant deal worth $1.5 million at the age of 18.Mr. Ali now plays a role in the management and the boards of over 133 companies worldwide. Mr. Ali considers himself and his company to be experts in turnaround stories by converting non-performing assets into performing assets. Between 2003 and 2004 he bought a Canadian company for C$ 565.000 and transformed it into a valuable vehicle worth C$ 8 million within only 16 months. Mr.Ali’s expertise and professionalism is highly recognised in the financial world, which is why he acts as a financial adviser to sovereign wealth, royalty, as well as many high net worth individuals. Mr. Ali understands entrepreneurial needs and prides himself on being a reliable partner for all his clients. One of the main reasons he started his own asset management company was because he believed in his own ability and qualifications to manage and invest his own wealth carefully. Mr.Ali strongly believes that investments are not just about profit-making and capital preservation but also about selflessness and creating social welfare. Mr. Ali holds a bachelor degree in law as well as a master degree in finance from universities in India as well as abroad."

nicko Posted Yesterday, 03:01 PM

There's no press conference. At the best there might be the signal for the start of due diligence. That could take four to six weeks.

I'm not hanging around outside Ewood for that long, thanks all the same.

Timmyjimmy Posted Yesterday, 03:37 PM

philipl, on 04 August 2010 - 13:08 PM, said:

The reality is that WGA is just the most public face of Ahsan Ali Syed.

- That's hit the nail on the head Philip, the guy has solid personal wealth and he's not going to be trading on his own account with unlimited liability.

The rest of this doen't apply to your post Philip.

There are days when I just despair after reading some of the other stuff on this board. All this "I don't understand...", "Why...", "How would he propose to...", "He would rip us as a source of cashflow", "Stay well clear...", "High gearing ratio is a worry because...", "He has other interests...", "He's not a football person". FFS what's wrong with you people?

There are NO legitimate/sensible questions you can come up with - you're all on the OUTSIDE, you know diddly-squat, so what have you got to be worried about except for fear itself?

From what you have heard from publically available sources he has a personal fortune, he has made an interest free personal loan to his company just like the Trustees have a 20m interest free loan in our club, gearing/leverage applies as much to this as it does to Abramovic i.e. it doesn't! How much better do you want it to be?

I repeat what I have said before, Rothschild will confirm the finances and the fitness of the bidder, the Trustees will confirm the business plan/direction of the bidder and it's congruence to the aspirations of the Walker family and Jack's legacy/wishes. The Premier League will do the fit and proper tests. So if it goes ahead then HE'S A WORTHY OWNER. His and every other business plan is built on brand and TV presence, other developments, be they hotels, houses or whatever will be spin-off side shows, extra credit.

The business community seem to recognise that we are a good club and that we tick all the boxes for investment and growth hence the interest, just because others on here don't get it just goes to show why they aren't billionaire business men. All this pathetic hand wringing and gossip mongering is driving me insane.

Let the process take it's course and stop passing opinions about things you can know nothing about.

link saying the bid was made last month which actually means last Friday.

kamy Posted Yesterday, 07:29 PM

Good that the LT are covering this tomorrow, despite what people say about Cryer and the LT, they do have extremely good links with the club so hopefully they can deliver some good coverage tomorrow.

kamy Posted Yesterday, 07:44 PM

No problems, pleasure to be able to provide some news on all of this.

I have been told quite a lot about this new bid but unfortunately I can't divulge any of it on here, they have asked that the information is kept off the record for the time being, going to respect that, which will mean that they will let me know of developments as they happen and hopefully means more news for this site.

Personally, I think that this group are moving fast but that Saurin Shah's group are also sill talking to the club, they seem to believe that they made good progress last week. In addition to this I get the inkling that there is third interested party, don't know who they are at the moment, other than there has been a US consortium sniffing around the club for the last 8 months or so.

The thing about this new group is that there is a lot of information out there about Mr Ali and their PR team is very slick, it doesn't mean that they are better than the other bidders but it does create a good impression, also one thing that I can say about Mr Ali is that he has access to considerable financial resources, hopefully can say more about this soon. Whereas with Saurin Shah's group there is not much information out there and therefore it is hard to evaluate who they are and what they have to offer, it could be that they do have some seriously wealthy backers, but judging by the amount of time it has taken to get any sort of agreement I would say that they have not convinced the Trust that they have the finance in the long term, also the latest activity makes it likely that Mr Shah's group will be told to put up or shut up.

One thing that I will say is that if the club is not sold this time round then it is likely that it will not be sold in the near future.

kamy Posted Today, 06:28 AM

Nothing really new in the Lancashire Telegraph. Pretty much confirm what I posted last night, the bid from Mr Ali, they have a quote from Saurin Shah who confirms that he us still talking to the club and that there could be other groups interested (American and one with links to Dubai). Back page interview with Colin Hendry who says that Rovers need investment. Telegraph also have some background on Mr Ali which most of which is already known.

No interview with John Williams, not surprised as he is most likely under NDA.

Daily Telegraph link- Liverpool or Rovers?

update 2 of 2

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 4 8;20am - Aug 5 8;20am

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:21 AM

Sounds like Jelavic has grown fed up with Rovers for taking so long to decide on an offer that he is genuinely keen to join Rangers.

And I thought they were skint...

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:33 AM

sparkysrovers, on 04 August 2010 - 11:32 AM, said:

So with this extra interest in the club from WGA, will the signing of one or two strikers still go ahead?

I can't see any takeover going through by the end of the month...so who knows where that leaves things now. Carry on with the current plans I would imagine.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 12:05 PM

Quote from Vince Grella in the Australian press yesterday, interview given a couple of days before, picked up by local paper.

"I want to be a regular first-team player with my club, whether that is in England or elsewhere."

Jelavic backgrounder

nicko on Jelavic Posted Yesterday, 01:18 PM

This one is clearly on the boil...

The fee sounds reasonable, he has been well scouted by Rovers.

It's now or never on this by the looks.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 02:29 PM

KLASNIC...signing for Bolton shortly...

JELAVIC...sounds like Rapid are scared he leaves on a free...now or never, as I say.

CLEVERLEY...wants to go to Bolton, Sir Alex seems to agree...handy player.

nicko posted Yesterday, 03:04 PM

Sparky Marky, on 04 August 2010 - 15:01 PM, said:

if sam is such a big pal of fergie as he seems to keep alluding to, then why don't we get a sniff of the loanees...?

I don't think any attempt has been made by Rovers to sign Cleverley...maybe not the manager's type...I don't know.

Anyway, Teymourian is in the pipeline.

I believe Faty is here...although there is other interest in him apparently.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 03:58 PM

Hughesy, on 04 August 2010 - 15:47 PM, said:

Nicko - the other day we had French versions of done deal etc for Grella...what's happening there? Is he going or not?

-The last time I checked Grella's camp thought the deal was 'done' and would be completed. I am not calling them again as that must have been the fourth time I rang on the subject.

The people involved in his team have been straight with me before. I have no reason to doubt them.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 04:33 PM

philipl, on 04 August 2010 - 16:23 PM, said:

Wasn't the issue which Grella would not accept at Galatasaray a clause that put him on pay as you play if he was available for less than 70% of games?

I doubt the Turks would bend on such a key point and Grella would be mad to trade in his deal at Rovers for a clause like that.

I would have to say I didn't know that was one of the stumbling blocks before. It's an odd one because they took on Cana who is also something of a sicknote.

All I can tell you is that his people think it will happen...and they are closer to it than anyone else.

I would iamgine that Rovers are hoping that is the case because [a] they tried to shunt him earlier in the window and the manager keeps bringing in midfielders.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 04:40 PM

VAUGHAN...in Everton squad tonight...wonder if he will be watched...likely to be on bench.

ASSULIN...really taking the eye at Man City.

ROBERTS...no sign of any taker just yet...

nicko posted Yesterday, 10:23 PM

JACOBSEN - some interest from Lecce in Italy.

JO - started for Man City....was that to hike up his value?

STRIKERS - hear there are some being watched at weekend in Europe...tells me there is nothing THAT close anywhere else.

TAKEOVER - hope it moves as fast as the guy Syed appeared...not holding breath.

VAUGHAN - came on for 30 minutes and did well I believe...

nicko Posted Yesterday, 10:30 PM

roversam, on 04 August 2010 - 22:26 PM, said:

any snippets from elsewhere nicko

-Stoke pushing really hard for Remy...Celtic in for Bellamy as well as Spurs now...Forest trying to sign Pratley, Whittingham and Bertrand...

update 1 of 2

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 5 7;45am - Aug 6 7;00am. Note that but this post concentrates on the interesting breaking news on the club sold thread- all 18 pages of it!

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:12 AM

Did The Guardian have the Syed story at the same time as The Daily Telegraph?

May sound like a small point...but if someone from the Syed group leaked to TWO posh papers there is definitely a publicity plan going on here.

Ah well, back to looking for strikers in the meantime.

(It appears both stories carried the story but the Telegraph got the main inside on it)

nicko Posted Yesterday, 12:10 PM

Just to defend the local paper, by the way...

The Syed leak definitely came from his PR people to a couple of national papers.

I think that took the club by surprise - and may explain why they were not briefed ahead of the story coming out.

Got to say the 'off the record' word I am getting from some is that this one has a long way to go before it happens.

There is understandable scepticism in high places although this Syed fella does seem to have finances behind him.

However the time it would take to get this through, sort out issues like who would run the club and pass Fit and Proper tests make it a long-drawn-out one at best.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 01:04 PM

Somerset Rover!, on 05 August 2010 - 12:55 PM, said:

Nicko..you seem so much more skeptical about this takeover bid than any of the others previously?..

- Not at all. Just wanting to find out answers in a hurry. There are a lot of issues to be resolved here...and the timing is cocking up the start of the season and the window.

A football person would have made their move earlier to give everyone a chance.

Better to ask questions now than later...if you know what I mean.

Majiball, on 05 August 2010 - 12:56 PM, said:

By those comments are you eluding that JW may be out the door if these people purchase our club??? Or are you referring to managers???

Don't suppose you can name your suspicions over who this chaps football advisor is?? PM??

- Nobody knows what Syed has in mind in terms of his 'team.' It would be a colossal change if he did pull this off...and as there are no clues of his football interests it is hard to say if he recognises quality when he sees it.

Forgive me for being cautious rather than sceptical.

Sam interview rules out cash injection for this window

philipl Answering the two posts above, this is the Daily Telegraph article in full from yesterday (it is no longer accessible from their web site) which is in effect Syed's PR firm saying what the current intent is. The bold bits are selected by me:

Ahasan Ali Syed, head of Bahrain-Swiss based investment firm Western Gulf Advisory, has made a formal approach to the club's advisers, Rothschild, with a view to buying the club, paying off their outstanding debt and investing heavily in the playing staff, academy and other infrastructure.

WGA is thought to have £8 billion in assets under its control and recently took a 50 per cent stake in Irish builders McCabe in a strategic investment deal understood to be worth £300 million.

Syed, 36, is originally from Hyderabad and is the sole heir to the family business which traces its wealth to the East India Company. Educated at the London School of Economics, he is a qualified lawyer and maintains a string of racehorses in Bahrain. He divides his time between Bahrain and Switzerland.

He proposes to use personal family funds channelled through the firm to complete the takeover at Ewood Park, having singled Blackburn out because of their potential for growth.

Tellingly, Syed considered seeking a deal for more celebrated clubs and has looked at Liverpool, but considers Blackburn a closer fit with WGA's investment model, which focuses on turning around well-run businesses by acting as an investment partner.

It is understood that Rothschilds, the investment bank, has alerted the club and the trustees of the late Jack Walker's estate to Syed's interest and they are understood to be interested in his approach.

Syed would like to conclude a deal in principle this month and complete the sale in September.

The club have effectively been for sale for two years after the Walker estate made clear that it was no longer in a position to underwrite the club indefinitely. Steel magnate Walker bankrolled the club to the 1995 Premier League title and – under the terms of a 1987 settlement – his family trust undertook to continue investing in the club.That money has now dried up and chairman John Williams has been leading the search for new investment.

Earlier this summer another Indian, Saurin Shah, signalled his intention to table a £25 million bid, promising to tap into Blackburn's large Asian community to help fill Ewood Park.

Shah was hoping to tie up a deal by mid-July but sources have indicated that the deal has "gone quiet", opening the door for the Syed bid.

It is understood that Syed is proposing to use WGA funds to complete a swift takeover, clearing the club's debts of around £20 million and offering an unspecified payment to the Walker Trust for their equity in the club. The balance of the £300 million would then be committed to the club over the long term.

The offer of £300 million of fresh investment could transform Blackburn's prospects but it is understood Syed is not proposing a Manchester City-style splurge that would bring Galacticos to Lancashire. Money will be made available for new players, as Syed accepts the current first-team squad is short of the quality required to prosper in the Premier League, but he is thought to favour a measured approach.

The club declined to comment on any potential takeover, saying the matter was in the hands of Rothschilds.

The promise of such a wealthy new owner would transform Blackburn's prospects and lift them from the annual struggle to remain in the upper half of the Premier League and to balance the books.

Last season the club made a loss of £6.5 million on turnover of £50.9 million, largely because of a wage bill that accounted for 90 per cent of revenue. Despite this, Williams predicted Blackburn would return to being a "trading" club rather than a "net seller". If Syed succeeds in his bid that will be assured.

Nobody posted the LT articles but here they are anyway:

Hendry interview

Game on in bid to buy Rovers Confirmation from Shah he remains interested.

Profile of Ahsan Ali Syed In fairness, the most comprehensive one I have seen.

update 2 of 2

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 5 8;20am - Aug 6 7;15am

Iceman with translations Posted Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Several Premier League clubs will have Moa

Dagbladet): Mohammed Abdellaoue (25) is the domestic league hottest selling item for Monday's three goals against Start.

Asked Tuesday VIF striker at the Norway Cup, and explained that he did not know anything about the speculation. At the same time revealed the ex-coach Uwe Rösler that he personally recommended the tip of the German clubs.

The interest is even greater from England.

Blackburn and West Ham

After that experience Dagbladet Blackburn has now thrown into the battle for VIF-tip.

Previously, West Ham have been mentioned, while Ole Gunnar Solskjaer yesterday dismissed the possibility of Manchester United.

Moa-agent Stig Lillejord do not want to go out with the names of the English clubs who sniffs at tippeligatoppscoreren.

- We know that there is any specific interest from clubs in the Premier League, in addition to those from Germany.

Rovers launch 1.4mill bid for Moa

Blackburn launch £1.4m bid for Norway star

Blackburn have made a £1.4m bid for Valerenga striker Mohammed Abdellaoue.

Sam Allardyce is looking to improve his strike-force after his side scored just 41 goals in 38 Premier League games last season.

And the Ewood Park boss lodged the bid for the Norwegian international after scouts saw him score a hat-trick in Valerenga's 8-1 victory over Start on Monday night.

West Ham, Stoke and Sunderland have all made enquiries for the 24-year-oldover the summer, but Blackburn are the first Premier League side to make a concrete offer.

And although German side Hoffenheim have had a bid accepted, Abdellaoue is holding out for a dream move to England.

nicko posted There is someone trying to sign Jason...it could be the Baggies...but Rovers need to be sure they have someone coming in first...or ideally two.

nicko posted Blackpool's current top earner is on £8,000-a-week. Beattie is on £38,000-a-week.

I would say their chances of signing him are slimmer than...

Slimmer than Beattie anyway.

Sky link on Roberts being available

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:19 PM

Sparky Marky, on 05 August 2010 - 23:04 PM, said:

Has Nicko got something up his sleeve tonight??

11 o'clock passes as I watch Like a Hurricane live for the umpteenth time since I taped it on this wonderful Sky Plus thing.

Done 12 stories today - and hardly a sniff of a Blackburn Rovers tale.

The transfer world seems to be moving everywhere apart from round here.

For our Hull fan - Simpson is also wanted by Leeds and Crystal Palace. But that Premier League 'embargo' thing is a major issue.

The game is knackered. Championship clubs are trying to sign players all over the place and some of them are still in admin or can't pay the bills.

I have a feeling the same kind of horrors will come round for some Premier League clubs before long.

Totally mental.

Quick round-up of elsewhere...Remy thing is stalling with Stoke...Middlesbrough want £3m for a dud goalie that Liverpool want...Sheff U have signed Stephen Jordan after he walke dout of Pompey...

And Rovers can't find a buyer at the right price for poor old Jason Roberts.

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 6 7;15am - Aug 7 7;45am

nicko Posted Yesterday, 09:20 AM

Love the 'irons in the fire but not very hot' line from Sam...class if a little 'off message' shall we say.

Only news is that two strikers I know about will be watched in Europe this weekend. No names until Sunday. There are a lot of leagues swinging into serious action now.

That tells me there is not much 'hot' on the transfer front until they are checked and compared with Mister X, Y and Z back here.

Lee0r Posted Yesterday, 10:34 AM

From the LET...

BLACKBURN Rovers are understood to be favourites to sign Mame Biram Diouf after Manchester United revealed they will allow the striker to go out on loan this season.

1864roverite Posted Yesterday, 10:46 AM

DIOF signs for Rovers on a loan from manure

1864 roverite Posted Yesterday, 10:48 AM

Just been announced directly live from Old Trafford. wellbeck also to join Sunderland, sky sports news on the yellow ticker

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:00 AM

Diouf from Man U on loan seems very likely.

No relation.

SamtheLeedsRover Posted Yesterday, 11:05 AM

Sky are reporting that he is at Brockhall meeting new team mates - doesn't really leave much for confusion does it?

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:15 AM

Broken_Picture_Frame, on 06 August 2010 - 11:01 AM, said:

So it's not confirmed? This is awfully confusing.

- Diouf should happen...but nobody seems to have pointed out he needs to do something with his work permit...I think there are new rules on that...he may have to re-apply.

Anyway, it will happen.

You have a striker now to take on Everton.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:20 AM

This is the dirt cheap option...I think Man U sometimes pay the wages of players they loan out as long as they are playing...see if that is confirmed...

There are still two potential strikers to come...and Roberts to go.

But at least the fun has started.

Bazrakats, on 06 August 2010 - 11:18 AM, said:

Shouldnt a new one be a formality. They only gave him one six months ago.

- It can take time sometimes...remember the messing with Benni?...so that would have to be pushed through to get him clear for next Saturday.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Somerset Rover!, on 06 August 2010 - 11:21 AM, said:

I know I'm being picky (I am a Rovers fan after all) but I would have preferred Wellbeck over Diouf.

- Welbeck was ordinary at Preston. Skill but lightweight.

Diouf is a big, clumsy character...but dangerous. Should fit your style much more.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:30 AM

RibbleValleyRover, on 06 August 2010 - 11:26 AM, said:

A fear i do have is that we may be forced to play him even if he isn't performing that well and therefore not helping Kalinic's development. Loan option is probably the best option to us really with our finances.

- Doesn't work like that.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:44 AM

Torgeir, on 06 August 2010 - 11:38 AM, said:

Is it a loan with a view to buy, Nicko? I expect it's a pure loan deal as ManU probably see a future in him. He's quick, strong and athletic...looking forward to seeing him in a Rovers shirt.

- Just a loan for now...but who knows what the next year brings...

unleaded Diouf`s X coach at Molde:

Mame has an incredible leap, does spectacular things and scores from all possible angles. He is the most perfect athlete I've ever seen. He was good in all ball sports."

Fergi on Diouf: 'He has adapted very well to our training regime and has looked very impressive,' Ferguson told Inside United.

He is quick, very good in the air and a good striker of the ball. Overall, he is a really good centre-forward

Daily Mail link on Diouf at Man U where he had Tevez' old shirt number

nicko Posted Yesterday, 12:34 PM

LeChuck, on 06 August 2010 - 12:29 PM, said:

I can't see Jo coming in now, I reckon it was either Jo or Diouf in as the loan striker.

- Interesting point. One Prem loan used up, one to go.

Mind you, Jo could always be 'freed' by Man City before the window if he is not in their 25 for the Premier League.

Definitely still on the look-out for more strikers, by the way.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 12:40 PM

1864roverite, on 06 August 2010 - 12:36 PM, said:

Mr Nixon

just had an interesting txt regarding Reo Coker at Villa. It will be interesting to see if he plays in Villa game tonight (on tv) or whether he is elsewhere at this present time !

I dont suppose that you have heard anything similar regarding a potential move for him ?

- I can check that right now.

ManU official link

New deal for Jacobson?

nicko Posted Yesterday, 06:01 PM

Before anyone asks - if they can be bothered any more - there will be an 11 o'clocker.

Brief but worth avoiding too much strong beverage in the meantime for...

nicko on the purchase of Rovers Posted Yesterday, 07:06 PM

Hi Mack, on 06 August 2010 - 19:00 PM, said:

Oh dear it's totally been made up hasnt it?

- I don't think it's totally made up, but a few things don't stack up. Yet.

Got to say that the current transfer activity suggests the club don't see it happening soon as they are doing their best to juggle sand and bring in players.

However, it would be for the best if the interest was real.

Rovers official confirmation of Diouf loan

nicko The can't be bothered waiting until 11 o'clocker...

REO-COKER...thanks to a very early tip from the 1864Rover chappie...Rovers have been in for Reo-Coker...basically he can come if he wants too...the fee may be as low as £1 million...he played for Aston Villa tonight but that makes no difference...I hear his agent is up for it and the player may well come for talks...he had a chance of going to Lazio recently but that fell through...his contract is up next summer, so Villa will take a low fee...no doubt the Leprauchaun will dispute the fee...but there we go...

MIDFIELD...so somebody surely has to be leaving ifr this happens...I presume Reo-coker would have to join before that happens...but with his wages I would guess there has to be an exit to go with it. Grella? Maybe...but the Turks are the Turks, so you never know for sure...

STRIKERS...Diouf coming...but he can't be the senior striker surely...a couple being watched this weekend...could be two more coming if Jason Roberts leaves.

ROBERTS...heard the QPR link...but his wages are a bit rich for them...they are not as minted as some would have you believe.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 10:17 PM

ffan, on 06 August 2010 - 22:16 PM, said:

I thought you were struggling to find funds for a striker? So where is this one million for Reo Coker coming from? Why not just add it to the striker fund and get that Jelavic fella. Your midfield can be sorted next summer.

- Someone has to be going from that department...otherwise there would be no need to look for a new midfielder of that type.

Mail linking us to Tuncay

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:17 PM

ffan, on 06 August 2010 - 22:35 PM, said:

Stoke City boss Tony Pulis is ready to sell striker Tuncay to Blackburn to fund his club-record £10million swoop for Nice striker Loic Remy.

- Remy deal to Stoke is off...they are about a week behind that one.

Tuncay can leave...find it very hard to believe Rovers would pay that money and his wages.

Nicko's Mirror Reo-Coker link

The Rovers might have been sold thread debated Leicester, Liverpool and Bollywood.

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 7 7;45am - Aug 8 7;20am

bob fleming Posted Yesterday, 10:35 AM

mickbrown, on 07 August 2010 - 10:23 AM, said:

Reo Coker is a real bad egg, he split the west ham dressing and was the leader of the "bling bling" gang under Pardew and was running riot.

He is a decent player and if he has grown up he would be a fantastic addition to your team he has a fantastic engine and is very strong in the tackle, but by being frozen out at Villa doesn't seem to me that he has changed his ways yet...

- That was my take on him as well Mick.

Still, Rovers is kind of like a Betty Ford clinic for some footballers. "Come to Blackburn to play football - leave the bright lights, fast girls and beautiful cars behind you and concentrate on what you're good at with minimal disruption. Shut yourself away in the leafy Ribble Valley, enjoy the magnificent views and train in breath taking surroundings, all for £30K per week. Remember, it's a short career. If you do well you may even force your way into the England squad. At this point try not to feck it all up and move to Tottenham."

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Just checked.

TUNCAY - not on...fee huge...got a couple of German clubs.

REO-COKER - agent is Tony Finnegan [ex Rover] who is telling him to go...however Reo-Coker may stay at Villa for other reasons that I can't go into here [or anywhere for that matter]...not financial...that may take time to pull off.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:36 AM

Broken_Picture_Frame, on 07 August 2010 - 11:32 AM, said:

Crazy times at the moment. It seems as though all your recent '11 o clockers' have been none existent twelve hours later.

- Reo-Coker is still alive...very much so...but there is a factor involved here that has to be addressed.

Kamy100, on 07 August 2010 - 11:32 AM, said:

To be honest if he has issues in his private life then don't want him at Rovers, he will not be focused and that will just lead to poor performances.

- No, no, no...nothing like that.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Reo-Coker has not turned you down. It as alive as of an hour ago. Keep it real, ffs.

Faty has been training, but will be hoping to get a run-out to really impress.

unleaded Posted Yesterday, 12:54 PM

Villa fans Take ON Rio After last nights game V Valencia.......................

**NRC should be captain

**Ok the fact it was a friendly aside, very impressed with him tonight. IF he can show it more often, cant see why he wont stay in the team.

**He certainly has a fantastic attitude.

**Ok the fact it was a friendly aside, very impressed with him tonight. IF he can show it more often, cant see why he wont stay in the team

**Put in a good shift tonight ... deserving of second chance, hopefully MON sees it that way

**Look, I tried to prove with stats from the Guardian or the Independent (can't remember) a couple of seasons ago that NRC was a better passer of the ball than what he was being given credit for. He was well up in the 80's. Didn't work as people had already made their minds up.

**I've said it before and I'll say it again, if our Nige can learn to lay it off to the nearest man once he's won the ball for us instead of going for the difficult option (which shouldn't really be his job anyway) he will be a very effective defensive midfielder for us, and work splendidly in a 4-2-3-1 alongside Petrov, like he did tonight.

**NRC should be in our midfield (central) most weeks.

**Let's hope we see more of him this season - he's someone that will always give 100% and I'd much rather see him in there than Sidwell!

**So one half decent game against Valencias youth team and all of a sudden he is an amazing player. Get real people, he's blindingly average and shouldnt be anywhere near our first team if we want to progress.

**It wasn't Valencia's youth team at all and you know it wasn't just one decent game. Every game NRC plays he plays well IMO. Valencia game was just a typical NRC performance

ricky Posted Yesterday, 03:04 PM

Andy cryer has just said the following about reo-Coker

15:03

Andy Cryer (LT): No sign of Reo-Coker and the club were surprised to hear the links today. I have been told there is nothing happening there

philipl Posted Yesterday, 03:09 PM

Andy Cryer (LT): Tuncay is certainly not the target. All I can say on the subject is you will all know either way - hopefully next week

nicko Posted Yesterday, 10:26 PM

Dear me, it's obviously been a dull day...

Reo-Coker has been approached by Rovers. Sadly some people have only one source of info and can't be assed checking.

The bottom line is the player is not sure he wants to leave Villa at this moment. However the move is there if he wants to go.

There are some things going on at Villa that make him think it would be better for him to hold on for a little while longer.

Rovers were in Europe, watching a striker. I hope he played. For many reasons.

In the meantime, back to the bickering...and, nephew Iceman, get to bed.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 10:33 PM

Iceman, on 07 August 2010 - 22:31 PM, said:

Nicko, is NRC holding out hope of playing more at Villa, if or when the Milner deal goes through? Im guessing this is the hold up.

- You could say he hopes his chances will improve soon ... but his agent wants him to make the break

There was nothing of note on the Rovers might have been sold thread.

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 8 7;20am - Aug 9 12;30pm

People link on Pentecote chase

Pentecote playing for Bastia

nicko Posted Yesterday, 09:40 AM

REO-COKER...what can I say?...there are some people who know something or work things out rather quickly...impressed...but it is still a goer...the agent wants him to move...but the player - to be fair to him - wants to assess the situation.

PENTECOTE...just a little change from the norm...wanted to see if anyone actually read the paper without being prompted...pleased with that response too...decent player...Rovers have been after him for a couple of months - I never mentioned that because it was complicated and still is...however the main scout was at the game...not sure if being stuck on the bench is good news or bad news for Rovers...or the deal...if the player wants to move it could happen...but Toulouse are tough to deal with.

ROBINSON...good to see Fabio and his staff are taking the job seriously... ...how can he justify being England boss on £6 million-a-year when he keeps making mistakes like this...get rid.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 10:00 AM

Majiball, on 08 August 2010 - 09:43 AM, said:

Why is it complicated????

- Rovers wanted him to come for a 'test' a couple of months ago but both Toulouse and the player said 'no.' Totally understandable.

Pentecote scored goals in the warm-up games but he is unlikely to play with Gignac ahead of him.

Rovers would like to see him have a serious game or two to decide whether to bid - but that is difficult because of those circumstances.

So it's a hard one.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:08 AM

PENTECOTE...I can only presume Rovers will go back to watch his next game...otherwise it is a bit of a gamble...Toulouse will want a decent fee and you can't really do that 'blind' in the current circumstances.

JO...definitely available...City using him to put him in shop window and probably raise his price...better for Rovers's chances if he had been left out of the team.

FATY...no idea of his whereabouts...I don't think he pulled up too many trees in training.

It's not an easy business signing players at the moment.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 12:03 PM

bonerdude, on 08 August 2010 - 11:56 AM, said:

Nicko if cty manage to procure milners services from villa will that kick off a transfer flurry as suggested in some of the national press this morning(cant remember which paper it was sorry), are any off our deals dependant on them????

Mancini will tell the Man City board who he wants in his 25 this week. I think a few cards were marked yesterday.

Ireland can go but is expensive and slightly loopy. Bellamy wants to go on loan and fancies Spurs. Jo is a cash cow for an agent. Caicedo is interesting and could be a bargain. Onuoha is over-priced and ordinary. Roque is a loan move at best because of his knee problems [How did you ever get that money for him? People have been arrested for less.]

People like Bridge, Lescott, Wright-Phillips will become bench-warmers and probably settle for it until January.

I hope they let them know fast because that will speed things up in the market.

But as all of those players are on big money THEY will decide where they want to go and not Man City.

This 25-man rule will hurt them. But frankly they deserve it for collecting so many players in the past two or three years.

driftpeasant Posted Yesterday, 01:21 PM

For what it's worth:

Phil Rawlins, one of the owners of Stoke, is also the owner of my local side, Austin Aztex. I was talking to him last night at our match, and he mentioned that's he's almost positive that Beattie will end up at Rovers. He was a little more coy on the idea of Tuncay being sold.

So I imagine that if Rovers still want him, we'll get Beattie.

He also said we're one of his picks for the drop, which was disconcerting.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 01:29 PM

Beattie to Rovers has been an option for weeks if not months, but the clubs can't agree a fee. Maybe he is the 'mystery striker' that some chunter on about. If so, farcical.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 04:02 PM

neophox, on 08 August 2010 - 15:59 PM, said:

Nicko: with Roberts and Grella both absent for the weekend games in Scotland there must be a move for them in the near future?

- I did notice that too. However I have heard nothing fresh on either of those two today.

But it is pretty clear both are not wanted and it's a matter of tying up sales.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 05:10 PM

roversfan99, on 08 August 2010 - 16:04 PM, said:

Is Xavier just one of many irons in the fire at the moment Nicko?

Rovers have more irons than your average golf bag at the moment...

MikeB, on 08 August 2010 - 16:36 PM, said:

My neighbour (a Championship club scout) has just told me that Rovers hope to tie-up a deal for M'boro's O'Neill (ex Pompey) within the next 72 hours.

Nicko - have you heard anything on this one ?

Checked that and was told it's 'just an agent getting busy'...would be a surprise as you don't have money to throw around right now.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 05:19 PM

The Rover of Finland, on 08 August 2010 - 17:17 PM, said:

Nicko, any ideas where will Scharner end up? Does he have huge wage demands because nobody hasn´t sign him? Not the worst option for us.

- The nut house...

nicko Posted Yesterday, 06:33 PM

Iceman, on 08 August 2010 - 17:48 PM, said:

Nicko, you seem to have gone quiet on the Grella move. If i remember correctly, it was Unleaded, who mentioned that it was a done deal. Im guessing the non appearance is either (a) he is moving based on his non appearance today or ( he is again injured

I was told last weekend that it was a 'done deal.' I have to tell you if I risk asking the source in his camp again he will think I am [a] stupid and not accepting his word.

Frankly, if it happens great and if it doesn't then I am past caring but I will be asking why down the line.

It IS important because Rovers need money from selling him to free up space in the team and squad. But it is a tragic comment on this window and the club's finances that this would appear to be at the centre of the present universe.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 06:39 PM

Jamesw1982, on 08 August 2010 - 18:35 PM, said:

Nicko again ive been told faty has signed for larissa in greece. Thats why he didnt play a part in our midfield this weekend.

Its also been said that we might be resurecting a deal to bring benjani here.

Do you know anythign about that?

Benjani has a possible move to the Middle East...where hopefully medicals are less stringent.

I have just looked at the 'Faty for Larissa' story and it may well be correct. A bit of a come-down for him, mind you.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 08:07 PM

roversfan99, on 08 August 2010 - 18:42 PM, said:

Nicko, has Benjani actually failed a medical with us or have we just heard that he has failed medicals at other clubs?

Benjani has failed a medical at one club at least...not yourselves...but the word is out that his fitness is a problem.

Pete1981, on 08 August 2010 - 18:46 PM, said:

Sam more than happy with work out. Hoping for new faces but denied any interest in Nigel Reo Coker.

Reo-Coker knows of the Rovers move.

Reo-Coker's agent knows of the Rovers move.

1864roverite got word too.

Perhaps they are all hearing voices.

alexanders, on 08 August 2010 - 19:45 PM, said:

another goal by Jelavic today.

Have we dropped our interest in the player Nicko?

Rangers have been making a genuine attempt to sign him.

I don't know what word I would apply to the Rovers effort on that front.

TCO, on 08 August 2010 - 18:50 PM, said:

Definitely odd that last week Temourian had a medical then today neither him faty nor Grella play any part.

Teymourian's absence could be down to work permit issues.

Grella and Roberts being absent would suggest something else.

nicko posted Yesterday, 08:17 PM

roversfan99, on 08 August 2010 - 20:14 PM, said:

Cryer seems to have a habit of denying as many players linked to the club as possible. Are we after Caicedo, Jo or Bance?

I have only heard of Jo as a possible. Caicedo arguably should be. Bance was being pushed by an agent.

It does seem to be a club tradition to deny things.

I seem to recall 'Keith Andrews wasn't coming,' 'Brad wouldn't be allowed to leave,' 'why would we want Paul Robinson?' and 'Robbie Fowler - it's just a trial.'

Gets rather wearing though.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 08:36 PM

Cookiemonster, on 08 August 2010 - 20:30 PM, said:

All by Paul Ince...

At the time of Paul Ince, but not all from him...some from club officials...all appearing in the local paper.

Anyway.

Just checked on Reo-Coker.

Rovers were quoted a new and quite ridiculous fee on Friday...the understanding beforehand was that £1 million would do it...I won't say what the 'real' valuation is now but it's too stupid to be taken seriously.

What a messed-up market.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 08:41 PM

rovers1995, on 08 August 2010 - 20:38 PM, said:

Nicko, anything new on James Vaughan

I asked about that today and Vaughan has not heard any more.

Significantly, he wants to hear...a player who would actually like to join you.

Is it not about time somebody made up their mind about who to bid for rather than the dancing round the handbag routine.

roversfan99, on 08 August 2010 - 20:39 PM, said:

Great, another deal off

I would be blaming Villa for that because of the latest development.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 08:43 PM

Eddie, on 08 August 2010 - 20:42 PM, said:

This club is a bit of a joke at the moment.

There are many in a similar state. The disappointment is that Rovers were safe months before many and have lost that advantage because of dithering and the takeover 'issue.'

nicko Posted Yesterday, 08:49 PM

greggyk, on 08 August 2010 - 20:45 PM, said:

Sam also said in his presser that he is "excited" by a couple of targets that have emerged in the last couple of days but we are way off any permanent signings.....

I would hope that means Pentecote had a blinder in the 15 minutes he was on for Toulouse...

What happened to that mystery striker that was being bid for, by the way?

John, on 08 August 2010 - 20:47 PM, said:

Just hope we don't panic as reckon some decent deals could emerge later on in the month (including loan deals).

Only one more Premier League deal loan is possible.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 10:51 PM

Hi Mack, on 08 August 2010 - 22:31 PM, said:

A little Dickie Bird told me Villa are now asking for 5M for Reo-Coker? WTF?

Close.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:05 PM

unclejack28, on 08 August 2010 - 22:53 PM, said:

Hey Nicko, Earlier in the week you told us that we were scouting 2 strikers from Europe, one was Pentecote I presume you told us on Sunday you would tell us who they both are?

The other was watched today. I don't think he did so well and doubt that it will lead to anything. I am not going to name him as I am fed up doing other people's jobs...so pass on that one.

Mail link to Guiza

Kamy Posted Today, 06:25 AM

Sam has told the LT that there are one or two irons in the fire, these have emerged over the last few days and he is excited by them.

nicko Posted Today, 08:51 AM

GUIZA...don't dismiss that for two reasons...first, the manager said a new name had come up and he is certainly that...second, one of the agents pushing him round is close to the manager.

It will never happen at £5 million, but a cheap deal or even a loan would make it a contender.

There are clearly new people being considered all of the time in the past few weeks. That would be why so many come up and disappear just now.

Mental.

nicko Posted Today, 09:41 AM

The big Manchester City clearance starts today...SWP among them too, by the sounds of it.

nicko Posted 34 minutes ago

Torgeir, on 09 August 2010 - 12:05 PM, said:

Nicko, any update on Gai Assulin?

Plays for Man City at Southport tomorrow night. Seems likely to sign, done well so far.

I am sure there will be some scouts there.

chaddyrovers, on 09 August 2010 - 10:09 AM, said:

interest that the LT is saying that Rovers have denied reports that Allardyce was scouting Toulouse striker Xavier Pentecote on Saturday.

Wonder Where he went?

The manager didn't watch Pentecote on Saturday night.

The chief European scout did.

Perhaps this is all too much for some people to keep up with...

On the take over thread, nicko Posted Yesterday, 08:38 PM

People on the football side are still working under the premise that a takeover could happen.

That is why money is still quite tight and the books are being carefully watched to make the club more attractive for a sale.

That is from within the camp at the Celtic game today.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 10:49 PM

philipl, on 08 August 2010 - 22:12 PM, said:

Is it really too much to take in?

You seem very pro Syed and anti Shah.

I can't see the difference from this range. They both seem to be good at promoting themselves but not so great at doing deals that matter.

But I am sure there is some reason behind your backing...and the coded messages.

philipl Posted Today, 08:28 AM

From what can be seen from looking at the accounts, one is 100 times richer than the other.

Doesn't mean that one doesn't have rich committed friends and family nor that the other has any intention of spending on a football club beyond a line in a press comment.

Critically, we don't know how or if either intend to recoup their outlays.

Just to be clear I am not ruling Shah out- the last report we had is they are still bidding.

Just that on paper, he is outgunned 100/1 by Syed.

And of course there maybe others who have said nothing and at the end of the day no bidders might be in a position to meet the Trust's terms.

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 9 12;30pm - Aug 10 7;30am

unleaded Posted Yesterday, 02:06 PM

Rovers latest target Xavier Pentecost has left Big Sam excited and no wonder..the guy is a natural finisher and would be ideal for Rovers IMHO..........The Former Under 21 French international striker is confortable with both feet and would be a BIG coupe for Rovers..............Spent last season on loan to Bastia..........The fans really liked the player and made him a hero...........

and included the video link in the post preceding this one.

unleaded Posted Yesterday, 02:22 PM

Toulouse His parent club want to sell but they also have high hopes for him but it depends on there current star Gignac (who is no where better then this guy)If he stays They will sell...............Pentcoat has come back this pre season and carried on with his goal scoring............5 goals in preseson including a winner V Marseille..............wonderful chipped goal...the longer Rovers leave it the more he gets out of range........Go on MR Williams Real him in............

nicko Posted Yesterday, 04:02 PM

A little update on Pentecote.

There is every chance he will start for Toulouse on Saturday. The senior striker Gignac, who plays on his own in their line-up, is injured and will be missing.

So Rovers can see him in a full match if they want...and he will still be available once Gignac is fit.

In a very frustrating window that may be a chink of light.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 04:42 PM

REO-COKER...not getting much luck with targets just now...it all kicked off at Villa over weekend...players knew...and many are gklad to see the back of the manager...think you can scrub that one off completely...not sure what the knock-on effects are...but Teymourian had better be good...

PENTECOTE...understandable that you would want a good look at him...he was on loan last season and has done well in pre-season friendlies...but they count for nowt...no shame in being sent on loan from Toulouse...they play with one up front, so he went out for games...good for him.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 05:30 PM after the Martin O'Neill resignation was announced

REO-COKER...he saw this coming and chose to wait...so I think that one is scrubbed...unless Curbishley got the job at Villa obviously

GUIZA...it won't happen at £5 million...it might at half...or even on loan.

VAUGHAN...been a daft approach by Blackpool for him today...can't see that one happening.

SAM AND VILLA...now there is an intriguing thought...but they don't have any money either...

nicko Posted Yesterday, 05:47 PM

rovers1995, on 09 August 2010 - 17:35 PM, said:

Do you see this happening Nicko, I don't?

If Villa moved for Sam at the moment I would be 90 per cent sure he would say 'yes.' Could anyone blame him?

However as this Villa regime have [a] no idea about what talent is out there, been surprised that O'Neill walked as quickly and [c] have not appointed a manager before...nobody will have a clue what to do.

Sparky would have been a cert if he had waited. He had a leading backer within the club. But he chose Fulham. Patience can sometimes be a virtue.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 05:49 PM

roversfan99, on 09 August 2010 - 17:35 PM, said:

Nicko, do you know if weve actually contacted Guizas people? And why can we not offer more than £2.5m for Guiza, i thought you said our budget could be stretched to £4m, and we could be selling Grella and Roberts?

Guiza's agents will be behind this...I have my doubts about the club paying over the top for him...

And for all of the efforts to offload players Rovers have not shifted anyone important as we speak.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 07:22 PM

Interesting news from the Northcote Manor...down to agent Hughesy now...

El Tombro, on 09 August 2010 - 18:46 PM, said:

Maybe nicko knows better than any of us but to me it sounds like the Villa owner has cold feet and is not prepared to spend big any more (and wants his "investment" returned by big player sales).

I do know that Lerner feels he has spent a fortune and wants to balance the books. O'Neill has known that for months too.

Reality just kicked in a bit today.

But there are other issues here, like recent player-manager relationships...

Probably best that they split but the timing is shocking.

MikeB, on 09 August 2010 - 18:19 PM, said:

Was in Northcote Manor circa half an hour ago and there was talk between a small group (not a clue who they were) of Rovers revealing a new signing tomorrow. For those who don't know, this place is just around the corner from Brockhall and Rovers do use for 'special' entertaining (a la carte is c£60/head and this was one of Woy Hodgson's favourite haunts). Type of people who use this place tend to be influential and 'in the know' - that excludes me!

Balwer Posted Yesterday, 09:43 PM

There will be a Guiza update in the next LT according to Paul Plunkett on Twitter.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 10:36 PM

GUIZA - definitely an option...agent doing pushing is Mike Morris, who is chums with the manager...it has a chance...the only thing that puzzles me is why the agent leaked it to the Daily Mail today...agents normally do that when deals need a bit of help...or are struggling...

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:29 PM

MikeB, on 09 August 2010 - 23:25 PM, said:

Guys, seems that there's a lot kicking-off generally that is probably pre-occupying Nicko; aren't we really just small fry in the scheme of things (as much as we all love Rovers). For what it's worth, my dingle neighbour reckons it's Kitson from Stoke based upon what Cort (ex Stoke) at Burnley has told him. UNDERWHELMED by this.

The 11 o'clocker was at 10.30-ish. More pre-occupied with trying to catch up with Identity without getting constant phone calls and texts to be honest.

There does seem to be something in the wind.

But - as has happened so often lately - I won't be sure until it's done.

Plenty of effort going on, a hard market to work in...but a definite need to sign a striker or two.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:34 PM

Sometimes you get a [rare] moment of clarity...

Perhaps the Guiza agent decided to leak the story because he heard another agent was getting close with Pentecote?

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:38 PM

mogster, on 09 August 2010 - 23:36 PM, said:

I can see that rushing the other agent but would it pressure the club? i.e. what's the point?

Ok, you are an agent who is putting a player into a club. That club is dithering [sound familiar?] and you hear they have watched another similar striker. You know the club has only limited funds and may take one or the other [sound even more familiar?].

So you make your guy's possible move public and this puts the club on their toes...and possibly alerts other potential takers in case it falls down.

Kamy Posted Today, 06:24 AM

Lancashire Telegraph running a article which has an interview with Morten, right at the end of the article they say that Rovers have denied that they are about to sign Guiza, there was interest a few weeks ago but the player is now out of the club's price bracket.

On the takeover thread, nicko Posted 08 August 2010 - 20:38 PM

People on the football side are still working under the premise that a takeover could happen.

That is why money is still quite tight and the books are being carefully watched to make the club more attractive for a sale.

That is from within the camp at the Celtic game today.

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 10 7;30am - Aug 11 7;30am. The thread went into 20 pages of Benjani meltdown.

Guiza signed for Schalke.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 08:56 AM

GUIZA - I will say again, don't dismiss that one...he is available...he has not gone anywhere...his price will DROP as it gets closer to the window because the Turks will sell...and Sam's agent mare is on the case...although he has probably leaked it to breathe some life into it...

BIG SAM - I find it quite astonishing that he is not on the Betfair list of 55 candidates for the Aston Villa job...that's all I will say on the subject...

nicko osted Yesterday, 09:11 AM

Iceman, on 10 August 2010 - 09:05 AM, said:

now who do we believe, you Nicko? or Cryer and Plunkett? the way i see it, is that they are a tag team, so going 2 against 1.

It would be very easy for me to pee on the Guiza story because it was in the Daily Mail first. But - in an attempt to throw some light on things - I did a bit of sniffing and found some details to make me realise it had legs.

Like just about every other target Rovers have had this summer it is a tough nut to crack.

However a couple of nuts HAVE to be cracked or you are going to be at a disadvantage.

No more word on the 'mystery striker bid' by the way?

Balwer Posted Yesterday, 09:13 AM

Well there seems to be a few people tweeting, in Turkish, about Blackburn Rovers and Danny Guiza. Perhaps one of them is Turkish Nicko as a few people have retweeted it this morning:

Fenerbahceden Guiza'nın alinmasini isteyen Blackburn Rovers Teknik Direktörü Sam Allardyce, sağlık kontrolünden gecirildi..@zaytungsondakika

Any Turkish people here that can translate? Google translate just not cutting it (something about Sam wanting him in for health checks....) Turkish link

nicko Posted Yesterday, 09:21 AM

JAL, on 10 August 2010 - 09:13 AM, said:

Do you really think Villa fans would want big Sam as their manager

I don't see a world of difference between Sam's style and O'Neill's style. Both like to play physically strong football, use big men up front and have a defence full of big strong lads...

Both have been around the block and know the game.

O'Neill has been expensive to run, Villa probably want someone who can do it cheaper.

Villa still have many good players they could wheel and deal...and it is a club with top-six pretensions. Very appealing for a manager who even found Dubai football attractive.

RevidgeBlue, on 10 August 2010 - 09:17 AM, said:

The latest revelation a few days back was that it was "believed" the reason for the delay was that the selling club were not sure if the player in question was available or not!

So it was Wayne Rooney after all...

unleaded Posted Yesterday, 09:23 AM

Have to fully agree with Nicko, the lack of information from the club and feeding us tit-bits regarding this so called Mystry striker is just taking the mickey out of the fans.Its like the adults when they send the children in the other room when they want to discuss something.................. Its been nearly 3 weeks now with this farce.............Hope you are pleased with your self JW...........Maybe the Takeover will bring something new other then just cash.....I have Never known anything like this for a very long time...total lack of respect......

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:40 AM

Broken_Picture_Frame, on 10 August 2010 - 11:36 AM, said:

No they haven't...

What would you call the 'mystery striker' bid? Speculation?

And are we forgetting Kris Boyd, Giovani dos Santos and some other Mexican? How did they work out?

Diouf was a story broken by the Man U manager and had rpeviously been in the Norwegian press.

I would like to salute them on the Teymourian triumph though...

Jelavic link to Prem

nicko Posted Yesterday, 12:22 PM

alexanders, on 10 August 2010 - 12:15 PM, said:

Nicko,

Concerning NRC. Did the fact that MON quitted as Manager at AV reduce our chances for him to becoming a Rovers player?

Reo-Coker was 50-50 at best about it last Friday, stalling because he thought O'Neill would possibly go because of events behind the scenes in the previous day or so.

But the deal really had little chance when Villa's money men started looking for £4 million.

I'll say it again...it's not easy doing deals anywhere right now.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 01:29 PM

El Tombro, on 10 August 2010 - 13:16 PM, said:

Nicko, is there any indication of how much West Brom are willing to pay for Roberts, or how far along the deal is (if there is one to be had)? I know Sam left him out of the weekend friendlies so as not to risk injury so I'm assuming he'll be gone by the end of the transfer window.

At first guess I think Roberts is valued at £1.5m - £2m.

Jason Roberts has been available for weeks. It is a hard sale because Rovers want a fee [the exact sum will be flexible] but the real problem is who is going to match his wages...especially a club like West Brom that could go down and ask their players to take a cut if they do...

It's a hard market.

Vince Grella has been available for weeks. Same problem. The Turks are now talking about taking some guy from Germany. So clearly that is not the done deal they thought and I was told.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 04:53 PM

leeb1980, on 10 August 2010 - 16:33 PM, said:

is it true what is being said on blackburn mad forum that benjani is training with the rovers teams this week hoping to impress and get a contract ?

There is someone fitting his description around...unable to confirm as there are more pressing matters elsewhere right now...

nicko Posted Yesterday, 05:14 PM

Not ID'd him yet, but have found out Benjani pulled out of going to a club in Riyadh at the start of the week.

He is interested in finding a club in England for the rest of the eyar as he qualifies for a UK passport in January if he stays that long.

No idea how he would pass a medical or get a work permit.

If it is him then this really needs some explaining.

rovers1995 Posted Yesterday, 06:50 PM

100% Benjani was at Brockhall today just heard it off one of the academy players. Not fair to name which one

nicko Posted Yesterday, 07:22 PM

Broken_Picture_Frame, on 10 August 2010 - 18:55 PM, said:

Potentially.

However the past few weeks have proved that it is pointless listening and then debating anything that hasn't been confirmed by the club.

You're just doing your job Nicko and you are clearly very good at it, I have no problem with you. I just can't believe that people argue and fight over every player that you link like Sam himself had just personally presented him to the public.

I've just heard that too.

Howling with that...you don't like info, you don't believe anything until you hear it from the club...and then you take an interest in Benjani being spotted.

Not sure how that adds up.

The point is that Rovers have been chasing players since February or March. So far Teymourian might be coming if his paperwork is good and the big boy Diouf has been gifted by Sir Alex.

If you honestly think that there have been no other players chased or sounded out in the interim that is entirely up to.

If that is your view I don't know why feel to comment about fans having an opinion on potential business.

And, while you're at it, check out the Daily Mirror on May 22 of this year and see who was linked that day as the 'domesday scenario' signing.

There is clearly nothing in all of this speculation..

roversfan osted Yesterday, 10:07 PM

PaulPlunkett on that LancashireTelegraph Twitter page link says that Benjani isnt the main striker, just 'a free' but dosent say if we are interested

Daily Mail link on Benjani free agent trial at Ewood

Jacobsen to be replaced by Canella?

kamy Posted Today, 06:27 AM

The Lancashire telegraph report that Benjani arrived at Brockhall yesterday, he will train with Rovers for the next few days in order to try and secure a contract. The mystery striker also makes a reappearance, he is described at a 'strong target', however Rovers are not hopeful that a further improved offer will be successful so have started to look elsewhere.

There is also an interview with Roberts he explains why he is going to leave Rovers.

On the Rovers might have been sold thread,

kamy Posted Yesterday, 08:23 AM

Quick update

I have talked to Julia Thiem (Mr Ali's Spokeswoman) this morning and she has told me on the record that there is unfortunately no update as to whether the bid to buy the club has been accepted by the Trustees or not (bid is still being evaluated by the Trustees and Rothchilds), she is however expecting that this situation will change very soon.

I suspect the Trustees are rightly taking their time over this, possibly because there are a number of interested parties, they want to throughly evaluate each and every proposal before deciding if any of them are right for the club.

Hopefully I can say more soon.

iamarover Posted Yesterday, 09:51 AM

No news. Is very good news. A salutary reminder to 47er and all those praying for a takeover, that you must be very careful for what you wish for, is in this morning's Currant Bun. The lead sports story on Aston Villa shows what even the most benevolent of buyers will eventually do. They will take their money back.

http://www.thesun.co...&ATTR=sportindx

The most recent accounts I could find for Villa don't make great reading once the foreign owner tires of his latest Christmas plaything. Currently Villa are paying £4m for the privilege of having Lerner's £45m transfer loans. Which achieved? Precisely nothing. That £45m is due in full in 6 years time. Lerner will have looked at the Premier League and realised there is no profit at all in football whilst voracious players and agents hoover up surplus cash, and fans' demands for the short term cash fix get ever shriller. The lexicon of transfers - injection, fix - are not dissimilar to that of drug users, not coincidentally.

http://www.independe...we-1912244.html

To pay that £45m off, Villa will now have to pay around £8m in interest/capital fees a year, and that money has to come from transfers or wage reductions. Commercial revenue will not rise, as Lerner hoped, unless Villa hit the Champions League - and that is looking increasingly unlikely. So they now need a trading manager, Allardyce-esque, to do that and give Lerner his cash back. Just about manageable for a big city club like Villa, but not easy, hence O'Neill's departure.

For the Rovers that sort of deal would be terminal. Look at the net outgoings demanded by the Trust.....it is a pleasureble nothing.

A takeover only makes sense if commercial revenues rise significantly as a result of it. £45m only buys the Rovers and its debt. Add in around £25m for the transfer funds postes here want and The Rovers Lerner would need a plan to get £70m out. Following the Villa model (the softest takeover yet in the Premier League so far) this would load Rovers with a debt payment of around £6m a year. Plus salaries, bonuses etc as they see fit. Philip thinks they would need still more to satisfy the Trust, which is all the more worrying.

Where will this £6m come from? Not, clearly, the Champions League. Not really either from improved League positions. Not at £750k a place anyway. Shah thinks this can be generated from a few thousand Asians in Lancashire and converting millions of cricket lovers 5,000 miles away to football, and then, unimaginably, to the Rovers. That is dreamland. Syed has no plans for us to see.

It's boring, but in the Black Jack world of the Premier League, Rovers are on 15. And like any pro player with that hand, the only option is not to Twist and hope for a Foreign Five or a Syed Six, but to hold on and watch the rest go bust.

The Trust has run its course and will not be putting money in. But, thankfully, they are not taking money out. That is why Liverpool will be bought this week and Rovers wont be. The Yanks dont care who they sell to, and the Trust does. And that is the best story you can read in a newspaper this morning. Thank the Lord this morning you are not a Villain.

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 11 7;30am - Aug 12 7;55am. It transpired that Guiza had not signed for Schalke. Another 21 pages of gunk on the thread.

kamy Posted Yesterday, 07:58 AM

duffbear, on 11 August 2010 - 07:52 AM, said:

What did Roberts say Kamy?

Basically that he had Sam have mutually agreed that he should move on and that he has had a "blast" playing for Rovers.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 09:19 AM

Majiball, on 11 August 2010 - 08:57 AM, said:

Mr Nixon do you know his name????

I think you know my view on that one...

Interesting line on Benjani. He was offering his services to a Championship club and asking for £13,000-a-week plus £5,000 an appearance as late as Monday night...

He is obviously desperate for a club. He should not be hard to deal with.

But, really, after losing McCarthy, Di Santo and probably Roberts it is a pitiful replacement.

I liked Benjani two or three years ago. He ran his stones off. However since then the injuries have caught up with him.

I cannot see him passing a medical, signing or playing any part.

I do not see any point in this exercise.

LT link on forwards and Benjani

nicko Posted Yesterday, 09:44 AM

Bobby G, on 11 August 2010 - 09:41 AM, said:

Did Radio 5 really say that?

I think Bellers will rather go to Fulham, unless he is settled in the area.

Bellamy is on around £90,000-a-week...

He wants to play for Spurs in the Champions League.

He wants to go somewhere on loan and then come back as a long lost son [not for the first time].

Not happening with Rovers.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:03 AM

Gambit217, on 11 August 2010 - 11:00 AM, said:

I don't think City will sell him to any club capable of challenging them for 4th spot, and they don't need the money really either, so with that said, I think he's nailed on to sign for Fulham on loan til at least January. I'm sure Fulham will pay 50-60% of his wages and City the rest ?

Bellamy will decide where Bellamy wants to go.

Once Man City leave him out of the 25 he has no value and they have little option - keep him there, mumping and moaning and possibly going to FIFA to ask for a free - or let him go somewhere.

This 25-man rule is going to give some power to the players who are not included.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 01:15 PM

alexanders, on 11 August 2010 - 12:33 PM, said:

But Alan - You have said numerous times this summer that this years transfer window have been horrible to do deals in.

I guess its not only Rovers who are messing about.

I had quite a bit of sympathy because of the difficult nature of the market.

But the stagnation that existed during this 'potential takeover' period was a mistake.

And now you are in a position where the season is about to start and have only brought in a midfielder who has never proved himself in the top flight, a striker who has no experience and another striker who nobody else at this level wants and is currently training with you...

Most clubs have had below average windows. But that is downright poor.

You were in a position to strike early. The manager wanted a striker signed BEFORE the World Cup. There was Lewandowski who was held up by an ash cloud, Dindane who came and went and came and went again, Piquionne and then blah blah from there.

There is going to be a huge onus put on some of your talented kids, who could be big assets in time. But you need more to continue progress.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 01:35 PM

CAICEDO...odd one...West Ham tried for Yakubu yesterday, offering LESS than they did last time...it gets turned down...they go for Caicedo allegedly.

Both Yakubu and Caicedo have Pini Zahavi as their agent.

Either someone is playing a game here and trying to wind up Everton into a sale...which won't work...or there is a benefit gig going on.

Funny feeling if you sit back on Caicedo you could nick him before the window shuts.

nicko Posted (in answer to chaddy asking in triplicate!!!) Yesterday, 03:45 PM

Made a few checks...there is no chance of Bellamy...if the story has come out it could be Man City playing games...after Bellamy's strange comments yesterday.

Tiresome.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 04:35 PM

brfc_jonesy, on 11 August 2010 - 16:29 PM, said:

Nicko, any truth in the rumour that my dinner is nearly ready?

Yeah...did you not hear the microwave ping.

There are other things going on in the transfer market, but one I heard just made me think...

Eidur Gudjohnsen is available on loan for the season from Monaco. The wage deal is not silly.

He has to be better than some of the dross you have been considering.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 05:58 PM

aXept, on 11 August 2010 - 17:38 PM, said:

Nicko, Do you know if Blackburn are in Norway today and watching Moa in tonights game against France ?

A lot of clubs there tonight...I have someone in their midst...so I will find out who is there and who has impressed.

Sky link Rovers to Vainqueur

nicko Posted Yesterday, 07:01 PM

davulsukur, on 11 August 2010 - 18:56 PM, said:

Any chance that either Beattie or Tuncay will be heading to Rovers now Stoke have signed big Kenwyne Jones?

Tuncay is on too much money and too expensive.

Beattie still has that Last Dance at the Disco look about him.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 07:13 PM

roversfan99, on 11 August 2010 - 19:11 PM, said:

Anymore on Pentecote or Guiza?(Also i didnt see Jo in the 23 man squad for Citys Europa qualifiers...)

Pentecote has a big weekend ahead of him. If he plays it is a good chance for people to see him.

Guiza is as expensive as he was yesterday...and the day before.

Jo is clearly available. His handlers are working overtime on that just now. Still on a pretty long list of potential candidates I would suggest.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 07:15 PM

67splitscreen, on 11 August 2010 - 19:11 PM, said:

Leading to more confusion another holding MF player. Penny for his thoughts, Sam that is.

Rovers are on the look-out for a midfielder of that type. Ignore the denials about Reo-Coker. That was live on Friday and Saturday last week.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 07:18 PM

roversfan99, on 11 August 2010 - 19:15 PM, said:

Its getting ridiculous how we pass through targets daily. I hope Guizas fee goes down as the window starts to close but i doubt it. At least we have Cryers Mr X....

To be fair, that's what happens. There will be a lengthy list of options. Some fall for you, others don't.

Look at Stoke. Remy one minute, Cole the next and then they get Jones.

The big difference is that Stoke have miney to spend, Rovers don't. So you have to go through your own lesser list.

And I thought Mister X was now off because Rovers had moved on...

nicko Posted Yesterday, 07:44 PM

Bit of news...there is someone in for James Vaughan today...not sure if it is Rovers...that may have drifted in the betting since Diouf arrived...you could hardly have THREE young strikers in your squad...but checking frantically.

And, by the way, I said 'Wanderers' earlier because Roberts may well have been in Bolton, but not signing for them. Hope that makes sense.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 07:46 PM

Jason Roberts WAS at Bolton...but his 'foundation' team were playing a local side.

That's cleared it up hopefully.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 08:52 PM

Mr. E, on 11 August 2010 - 20:48 PM, said:

If Stoke can spend 8 million on a striker that's not even that great, while we can't buy anyone, then now is the time to start losing our heads. Either John Williams explains to us exactly where the money is disappearing, and publishes the wages for each player, or it becomes clear as day that we are being robbed blind. It is beyond any realm of possibility that Stoke, a lifelong Championship team, are so much richer than us. C'mon now the great defedners of the trustees, come back here to explain how all this money is going to the wages and we should just shut up with the questions. Go on, it'd be nice to hear that again. And just keep in mind - Jones to Stoke City for 8 million.

Stoke are backed by the Coates family who are fabulously wealthy.

Rovers do not have that kind of pull any more.

Sometimes these things just go in cycles.

The good news for Stoke is that the younger members of Coates's family are committed to this too and genuine fans.

Unfortunately Jack Walker's 'legacy' is in the hands of Trustees who do not have that level of interest.

Rangers link to Beattie

On the takeover thread

only2garners Posted Yesterday, 05:11 PM

This is the minute from last night's Fans Forum on the takeover: -

4. Possible Takeover

Asked for an update on the current situation given recent press speculation, TF stated that there was little new to report. There were a number of interested parties talking to the club, which may or may not develop into formal offers. No bidder was yet at the due diligence stage.

No real news therefore except a confirmation that no one has got to the due diligence stage yet, which means that we are a long way form any takeover completion.

Telegraph link reporting Liverpool have received no credible offers

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 11 7;30am - Aug 12 8;20am. Another roller coaster day generated 18 pages and no transfers.

Moa to Hannover?

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:42 AM

So many questions, so little time.

ASSULIN - has a bad knee...broke down in training...that explains a lot.

BEATTIE - Rangers will struggle to pay his tax...cheap attempt to get Rivers to make a bigger bid?

JELAVIC - why would he go to Rangers now when he can show all the Premier League teams how good he is against Aston Villa this week?

NORWAY GAME - good spot by our Norwegian activists...no Rovers senior presence at game...bosses galore...fair point on 12-club rule...but there were about five or six players in the shop window...from what I hear nobody did that well on either side.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 12:49 PM

Hughesy, on 12 August 2010 - 12:25 PM, said:

Nicko - ANYTHING new on Rovers? In's or outs? Grella, Jacobsen, Zurab, Roberts.....?

You can't get rid of players you want rid of...so that is not helping.

I don't think there was ever anything in the Eaves story, although on a very funny note I understand that some muppet is winding up the Clarets Mad set and pretending to be me on that subject...

Get. A. Life.

Beattie and Rangers seems to have a chance. But how will they pay those wages?

nicko Posted Yesterday, 01:18 PM

Ray-Von, on 12 August 2010 - 13:08 PM, said:

Peterplop. Classic!

Is it you? Own up ...

LeChuck, on 12 August 2010 - 12:56 PM, said:

"Rangers have tabled a transfer package of close to £4million for the 24-year-old, with a £16,000 a week wage offer"

Beattie is on £38,000-a-week at Stoke. Why would he go to Rangers for less than half.

Nice countryside and all that, but come on...

nicko Posted Yesterday, 01:26 PM

alexanders, on 12 August 2010 - 13:23 PM, said:

Nicko is Dani Guiza injured and out for a month?

No idea...

There IS something stirring at Rovers with a player.

I don't want to go all 'LT' on you here and talk about mystery targets, but let's see how it plays out.

No pestering PMs either please.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 02:01 PM

Iceman, on 12 August 2010 - 13:53 PM, said:

so you know who the player is? and you didnt say we couldnt pester you on here though, so i wont pm you, but ask you to name the player, Mr Cryer in disguise

This one will be resolved one way or another today. I don't intend to build up hopes or give any clues. This isn't a club line to placate the masses. This is something that has come up, has a chance and could be sorted out quickly.

You have waited all summer for something good to happen. So just do breathing exercises in the meantime.

One catch - I will only name him later if it is going to happen. I am tired of making calls on players who you chase and fail to sign and then get slaughtered for it.

Meanwhile have a look at Clarets Mad and see some joker taking the rise right out of the locals. I will say again, it's not me.

Tribal link Rovers bid for Guizi Yes we're that desperate for news I will even post a Tribal link on here!

nicko Posted Yesterday, 03:39 PM

Beattie is on £38,000-a-week at Stoke.

Rangers will only be able to get to half of that [their top earner's rate now].

Eagles went there a few weeks back and they barely offered him more than he is on at Burnley [which is about £9,000-a-week].

So either Beattie is being paid a wad by Stoke to leave or he is going through the motions to get Rovers at it.

No player at is age is going to give up guaranteed money.

Fact.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 04:18 PM

Hughesy, on 12 August 2010 - 16:14 PM, said:

Nicko assure us.....The player you said something IS happening on at Ewood ISNT Beattie!??

The player I am working on at the moment is NOT Beattie.

But you know and I know that Beattie will be an option until he goes somewhere else.

That may sound like basic common sense, but it is also a fact because of a long-term interest in the player.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 04:22 PM

roverspogges, on 12 August 2010 - 16:20 PM, said:

And to think we were linked with Guti and Raul a month or so ago. I'm sure if you went back through the old posts you will see people including Guti and Raul in their possible first team line up for this season. Whoops.

The manager fancied one at least, possibly both.

Not his fault that didn't work out.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 04:48 PM

Rovers chief scout was at the Norway v France game last night...he was NOT on the guest list but has been eye-balled.

However I hear the Norwegian lad was bang average.

This suggests to me Rovers really have very little idea of who to actually sign as we speak.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 05:05 PM

Brownie, on 12 August 2010 - 16:57 PM, said:

Nicko, is this the player you referred to earlier as being a possible later today ?

The Norwegian player is NOT the one I heard about. Still trying to find out how far it has gone.

The market is pretty lively now. You are trying to get involved. But it's still proving difficult.

The Kalinic thing from last year is an interesting comparison. But you were after him at least a week before he actually joined which I recall vividly as being August 3.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 05:28 PM

ewoodpo, on 12 August 2010 - 17:20 PM, said:

Where do you think Bellamy is going to end up Nicko? shame we camt afford the wages.

Big question. Man City are trying to push him one way, he wants to go another...and has been known to change his mind.

Nothing would surprise me.

Celtic? Can't see them offering enough money towards his wages.

Spurs can but City don't want him to go there.

I would seriously not rule out Cardiff doing this AFTER the window shuts and when there is nowhere else for him to go. Glad I got 33-1 a couple of months ago.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 08:18 PM

otto man, on 12 August 2010 - 18:33 PM, said:

Eh? I thought there were "stirrings" over a player?

There are quite a few stirrings just now...

11 o'clocker could be lively.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 10:13 PM

Where to begin?

BEATTIE - Rovers are still very much in this one...the Rangers talks today broke up without agreement yet...however three things have moved in Blackburn's favour on this today...the price is around £1 million...Stoke are obviously 'helping' him to leave financially...and the theatre of today now makes Rovers moving for him sound like some sort of triumph...

ROBERTS - bizarre twist...found out that Rangers fancy him if they don't get Beattie...and Rovers want rid badly...

BENJANI - would obviously go off the radar if Beattie signs...

JELAVIC - don't know where he is left in the equation with Rangers and Beattie and Tommy Smithh...probably still available next week.

MY MYSTERY GUY - would have been good...but prefers to play in London...money can always change that opinion, but so far there is not enough to make it happen...not naming the guy.

Mail link to Huseklepp

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:13 PM

The reaction was not as hysterical as it might have been...which is something of a relief.

BEATTIE - bear in mind Rovers have been after him for a long time...wanted to take him for nothing...by the sounds of it the 'fee' will be next to nothing...I can see the logic because you have two inexperienced strikers in Kalinic and Diouf...so the next one HAS to be experienced really.

One word of caution [if that is the right word]. Beattie may just fancy Rangers, a bit of glamour and the easier defences...this is not a tap-in for Rovers at all...however the chairman wants it, the manager wants it and the manager's mate agent is in the middle of it.

ROBERTS - thanks for the PMs on that one...checking it...certainly fits.

Mirror link to Beattie

Mail link Stoke block Rovers bid- Beattie going to Rangers

Blackman on loan to Motherwell?

kamy Posted Today, 06:32 AM

The Lancashire Telegraph report that initially we were after bringing a young striker in, however after the arrival of Diouf and imminent departure of Roberts. Rovers now want to bring in a experienced physically strong striker. That to me suggests Beattie or Benjani. The paper report that Benjani continues to train with Rovers and could provide a short term solution.

They also report that Teymourian deal is almost dead due to work permit problems. The addition of another midfielder is being looked at but is a secondary priority.

Basically we are skint, and cannot compete in the transfer Market in any meaningful way, so we are going down the cheap and cheerful route. I would suspect that Sam will jump ship at the earliest available opportunity if we are not taken over.

No news on the Takeover.

update 1 of 2

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 12 8;20am - Aug 12 10;45pm

Note that this post concentrates on the interesting breaking news on the club sold thread- I am busy this weekend so doing a compendium now.

tonygreenbank gets the credit for being first to Post Today, 11:15 AM

According to the Times this morning Ali Syed has stepped up his efforts to buy Rovers by enlisting the help of Jean-Claude Darmon who is a leading football marketing pioneer.Darmon will advise Syed`s team which hopes to conclude a deal with the Trustees by the end of the month and clear the club`s £20 million debt.

Darmon would then step in and develop the required marketing strategy.Apparently he has done this with 18 0f France`s top clubs.

Syed`s potential investment is the £300m mentioned on here.The negative is that the takeover would not be completed before the end of the transfer window.

Syed`s main interest it is said is in expanding the academy to develop English talent.

He also wants to retain the current management team which may not please some on here!

I know most of this as been mentioned previously but the Frenchman`s name is an interesting development.

rovers 1995 Posted Today, 11:31 AM

PaulPlunkett on Twitter has said big takeover news coming up. Bet its just what was in the papers today ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Andy Cryer reports Syed has 4 week of exclusivity.

An old profile of Jean Claud Darmon.

Dailyrover adds more detail.

philipl Posted Today, 11:57 AM

den, on 13 August 2010 - 11:48 AM, said:

So it's quite simple is it Philip? If the money is in place as Syed says, the deals done? This is due diligence is it?

Rothschilds and Syed's people will have thrashed out a conditional deal which the Trust will have said is acceptable to them subject to....

On that basis the Trust is sufficiently confident to risk losing other possible bids by giving Syed an exclusive period of four weeks. In that time he will do his due diligence and no doubt the Trust, Rothschilds and Rovers will be very busy assisting in that process, doing their own checks and research (although Syed will have been thoroughly checked out and shown them the moneys already) and getting ready to manage the transition.

If the due diligence throws up some nasties, the deal isn't off but could be re-negotiated but if that happens it raises huge questions about trust and goodwill.

The four week period points to Rothschilds, the Trust and the club being thoroughly prepared as WGA says on their website that their standard due diligence process is between five and six weeks.

philipl Posted Today, 12:05 PM

sparkysrovers, on 13 August 2010 - 11:58 AM, said:

I wonder what Saurin Shah and his group are doing?? Kamy, have you any news?

They are now frozen out of it.

They can only hope that something goes wrong with Syed's due diligence which I would put at being a remote possibility.

But to all intents and purposes as of now, they have lost.

kamy exclusively Posted Today, 12:46 PM

Syed Ali's proposed takeover of Blackburn Rovers moved a step closer today. Mr Ali's spokeswoman has confirmed to BRFCS.com that they "have 4 week exclusive period of due diligence, this gives us the necessary time frame to conduct our due diligence, however we hope to proceed faster than that"

philipl Posted Today, 12:55 PM

PAFELL, on 13 August 2010 - 12:24 PM, said:

What nasties due you think could 'possible' come up. To those of us who do not know, explain due dilegence.

Rovers are a £55m turnover business operating in the most public arena imaginable in a sport which has not always been totally clean.

If you were buying a club like this you will want to know:

- that all the player and staff contracts are enforceable and that there are no nasty clauses you have not been told about

- that the club really does own all the assets it says it does

- that what it owes is correctly stated and that there are no hidden potential liabilities you have not been told about

- that the income and expenditure numbers are accurate and that the forecast cash flow and profit and loss figures are sensibly calculated

- that the club has relations with the people it says it has (accountants, lawyers, banks, agents etc) and that there are no hidden hands in the business

- critically given the nature of the vendor, I would want to know with legal opinion that the Trust actually has the right to sell the club; that might not be so clearcut

The way this is done is that the buyer with their lawyers assembles a due diligence book which for a club Rovers' size will run to 100+ pages of A4 in landscape format. Syed's WGA will no doubt have already presented their standard due diligence book to the Trust to be getting on with it but they will now be customising it to cover all the particulars of the Rovers' business and throughout the 4 week period additional follow-up questions will be added to the due diligence book which will be maintained under strict version control by the lawyers.

The Rovers' directors will be allocating the tasks of answering the questions between themselves.

This is where it gets sensitive because the individual Directors will answer their allotted questions with the evidence appended and TAKE PERSONAL LIABILITY for the accuracy of their answer to both the Trust and WGA. As a result, each and every answer will be carefully checked by the Rovers' and Trust's lawyers and referred to the professional accountants to be cross-checked as necessary.

This whole process is likely to be costing £500K in fees, possibly more because if you get it wrong, it is very easy for the loser from the mistake to sue for their loss on the basis of "you signed this but as a Director you should have known that what turned out to be the facts were different". So you simply do not put anything into the due diligence book which has a risk of being factually incorrect.

When the answers come back, the nasties can be:

- what you sign off on is different from what you said in the heat of negotiation; these are the worst and cause questions of bad faith

- in order to protect their backsides, the Directors hedge too many answers for the buyer to feel comfortable; in which case they can rightly demand that definitive or fuller explanations be provided

- the most frequent problem is that in running a business as big as the Rovers, things are turned up in the due diligence that the Directors themselves were unaware of; clauses in agreements which were missed, documentation they always intended to complete but never got round to it and so on. The good news for Rovers is that they have been up for sale for so long that the Directors really should have been doing everything mindful of this process happening so those holes should be few in number. If there a lot of them, the new owner might change his mind about who he employs...

Hope this helps. In a well run company like Rovers, it should just be a massive paper chase but tough buyers have been known to use due diligence as an excuse to renegotiate no matter how clean the books are. If that happens, the Trust might decide to walk away.

It is odds on (I won't give an exact probability) that there will be an announcement of an unconditional sale about five weeks from now.

kamy Posted Today, 12:59 PM

This is huge news guys, basically it now upto Mr Ali whether to go ahead with this deal or not. From the outside it seems that Rovers are a very well run club so the due diligence should be straighforward (although I don't know much about this process).

I can say that Mr Ali's people are all very excited about this, whether it is good for the club or not that will become clear over the next few weeks. They do have exciting plans which hopefully can be revealed very soon. I am trying to stay neuteral on this because after all these people are his PR team so they will only say positive things but they do come across as ultra professional.

philipl Posted Today, 01:08 PM

Balwer, on 13 August 2010 - 13:00 PM, said:

Do not the new rules prohibit this sort of arrangement (hence the conversion of debt to equity by Abromavich and Ashley, among others)?

The new UEFA rules about how cash is paid in and what the limits are start in 2012/3. The limits do not limit things Syed has said he will invest in- the Academy and marketing operations.

If the £300m is for real and is spread over a number of years, Rovers will end up spending something each year which would be the norm for the likes of Villa, Spurs or Everton- it is not like we are going to blast City out of the transfer market. The amounts going in should be comfortably within the room for creativity in interpretation and of course having the French marketing guru on board is a master stroke as UEFA and the Prem are going to think more than twice about challenging what he is doing.

The good news for Rovers of course is the new rules force the cash to be paid in as shares rather than debt beyond a fairly low number.

kamy Posted Today, 01:11 PM

Iceman, on 13 August 2010 - 13:03 PM, said:

Syed Ali's proposed takeover of Blackburn Rovers moved a step closer today. Mr Ali's spokeswoman has confirmed to BRFCS.com that they "have 4 week exclusive period of due diligence, this gives us the necessary time frame to conduct our due diligence, however we hope to proceed faster than that". Kamy, from the above without revealing too much, do you know a time frame that they might want to complete the deal? I know, due diligence over the 4 weeks, but are they looking to seal a deal, in time for us to make some signings? if that is the case, then im not sure, if Sam wants to make a signing, until just before the close of the transfer window. Cheers

I would love to say more can't do so because it would betray confidences.

philipl Posted Today, 01:24 PM

The new rules are also designed to give clubs stability and protection from what has happened at Pompey, Leeds, West Ham, Liverpool and Man U. and several clubs on the Continent to be fair like 50%+ of La Liga although the Spaniards have a patent on water flowing up hills whilst directed from a high wire.

El Tombro- see my answer to the due diligence question posted about an hour ago.

My belief is that the standing of buyer, seller and adviser is such, I really do not expect anything to go wrong at this stage. The ten day gap between Syed saying he had bid to this short announcement today is extremely encouraging and that isn't just because I forecast that now is when the announcement would be made!

It was the right amount of time needed to do everything that needed to be done without there having been any undue problems.

I am sticking to my five week forecast of the time to signing for an unconditional sale although who knows if the hope for the period to be shorter can be fulfilled. One thing I am fairly sure of is that WGA will not cut short their due diligence procedure. This is by far their most high profile acquisition and as they want to attract another $7bn under management you can be darn sure they are not going to get caught out publicly for having cut corners.

philipl Posted Today, 01:29 PM

pancini, on 13 August 2010 - 13:18 PM, said:

How long does the Premier League fit and proper persons test take. Can they only be approached once the deal has all but been done after due dilligence or can they be approached during due dilligence and say this person is looking at taking us over can you start the process

The PL has to be given ten days' notice of a potential buyer.

Liverpool sent all six of what turned out to be their non-suitors into the PL so I guess Rovers sent both Syed and Shah some time ago.

Bloomberg link

WGA own website with links to press coverage on their activities

Paul Plunkett (LT) was tweeting all day: https://twitter.com/PaulPlunkettLT as was Andy Cryer: https://twitter.com/CryerRovers

kamy Posted Today, 05:18 PM

I will check on the way home and see if the late edition has anything new, it could be in tomorrow morning's edition.

I can say that they are trying to complete the deal before the end of the transfer window so that some funds can be made available. It is important to point out that we are nor looking at Man City level investment in terms of transfers but it will allow to compete in the transfer Market and also a focus on bringing young players through the youth system at the same time.

Finally I think that John Williams job is safe should he want to stay on, Mr Ali's group believe that Rovers are in the top three best run clubs in the premier league.

philipl Posted Today, 07:09 PM

Everything you need to know about Blackburn Rovers' Indian tycoon bidder and his plans in tomorrow's Lancashire Telegraph. Phew, what a day- Paul Plunkett

update 2 of 2

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 12 8;20am - Aug 12 10;45pm

I am busy this weekend so doing a compendium now.

Talksport link to Arsenal's Lansbury

Erik Huseklepp link

Rubin Kazin up their Guiza offer

nicko Posted Today, 09:34 AM

Beattie thing should be decided today. Rangers are putting on the pressure to make him sign. Pulis would prefer him to go as far away as possible. But if the player wants to go to Rovers it will happen. Important few hours ahead.

The local paper assessment seems the party line again...although it does make you wonder where their 'mystery striker' fitted into that equation.

As for the 'we get linked but never sign some people and it's red-top speculation ######'...don't get me started.

Perhaps the chap should recall Lewanowski, Dindane, Piquionne and many others who were chased and fell through for many reasons. Financial, taste, medicals, etc.

Huseklepp £1.5m asking price

nicko Posted Today, 09:42 AM

Lansbury has four clubs after him...not sure Rovers are one...can't see him suiting their style.

Major Beattie news if you give me a while.

cookiemonster Posted Today, 10:00 AM

A twitter from Richard Graves from Sky has said 10 minutes ago,

Sam Allardyce rules out a move for Stoke striker, James Beattie but says Blackburn have drawn up a shortlist of targets before window closes

nicko Posted Today, 10:11 AM

James Beattie has been offered a three-year deal at Rangers on around £1.2 million-a-year.

That is decent money and a longer deal than he is at with Stoke. He is on about £2 million-a-year there but has one season to run.

Stoke can influence where he is going by giving him a settlement if he chooses one club over another. Interesting factor.

I don't think Rovers will match those terms...so it is up to the player to knock them back.

To be fair to him if he turns that down for the chance of joining Rovers he deserves some credit.

Surprised the manager is saying he isn't getting him. There is still some life in this.

No progress on Roberts. If he has to play tomorrow it will be some do.

nicko Posted Today, 10:19 AM

Majiball, on 13 August 2010 - 10:15 AM, said:

Have Rovers actually bid??? Or are we just considering making one.

Rovers have been in contact with Stoke for months. The valuations were miles apart. But yesterday it became real because the price dropped and the chase was on for real.

There was contact yesterday but there is no doubt Stoke would rather he went to Scotland.

Significantly the Mail story will have come from the agent doing the deal. It is fairly accurate.

At the moment Rangers are in front here. They want to close the deal today.

It really is down to Beattie now to say 'no'...

Where Rovers go from here - after missing this one - is beyond me.

nicko Posted Today, 10:31 AM

Majiball, on 13 August 2010 - 10:24 AM, said:

At the end of the day I'd take the concrete offer over the maybe one.

You only make a written offer if you know [a] the club will sell to you and the player is on terms you can afford. The conversations went on at some length yesterday.

As I say, it's down to Beattie now.

nicko Posted Today, 10:44 AM

Majiball, on 13 August 2010 - 10:38 AM, said:

So we have agreed a price with Stoke then? And we have discussed terms with Beattie?

No, you know the price...it's one you would pay.

But you won't match the package currently on offer with Rangers.

There is no way Rovers would give a three-year deal to anyone of Beattie's age.

So you wait for Beattie to say no to Rangers and then offer Stoke the money and try to get him to come on a two-year deal worth similar cash.

ptholt, on 13 August 2010 - 10:39 AM, said:

i read some bits earlier in the week about pentecote, young ish french player, is that also as dead as most of transfer wannabes?

Only wondering as he looked rather handy

Pentecote's D-Day is this weekend. If he plays for Toulouse against Bordeaux on Sunday that is good news because Rovers can see him play. If he doesn't play that is - funnily enough - better news as it means he is really not wanted and go.

I suspect Rovers will send a top scout to watch him, especially if Beattie goes to the Huns by then.

nicko Posted Today, 11:26 AM

I don't usually do running commentaries on these things, but...

Beattie is asking for a little bit more than Rangers want to pay him. Stoke will have to give him money to leave.

That is probably a double negative for Rovers as we speak. I don't see you giving him a big three-year deal and I don't see Stoke giving him a sweetener to join you.

nicko Posted Today, 11:30 AM

gazsimm, on 13 August 2010 - 11:27 AM, said:

is this a panic buy being made by sam in getting Beattie (if true) or has he been our number 1 target all summer?

Beattie has been an option for months. Better options have disappeared in recent weeks. The season is upon us. Stoke have a replacement striker in.

I would suggest the real panic sets in if Beattie goes elsewhere.

nicko Posted Today, 11:35 AM

67splitscreen, on 13 August 2010 - 11:35 AM, said:

Rangers offering 24k a week for Beattie, yet they would not up Boyd's over 16-18k

Walter Smith worked with Boyd every day remember...

nicko posted Today, 12:12 PM

philipl, on 13 August 2010 - 12:08 PM, said:

This window is all about the last week, not just for Rovers but most of the clubs in the Prem.

If I were City, I would loan out my unnumbered stars to mid-ranking Prem clubs so they can play against City's big 4 rivals but not themselves....

So all of the players signed elsewhere WON'T be playing this weekend or the one after or the one after?

philipl posted

All 17 of them since 1 July at the last count....

My hunch is that perhaps 50% of the inbound transfers to Prem clubs this window have currently happened. Certainly you guys in the press must be hoping that to be the case- there is certainly a lot more than 17 senior pros in total at all the Prem clubs who are sure not to receive squad places.

nicko Posted Today, 12:17 PM

Hughesy, on 13 August 2010 - 12:14 PM, said:

Remember Dunn being at Bolton, but his heart being at Ewood hoping for a call?? Reminds me of that moment again - if we are serious about him then he will sign for us.

Nicko - How likely is a Rangers move for Roberts if we do sign Beattie?

Interesting comparison...

Beattie and Rangers is still very much ongoing.

Manager's quote this morning backs up all written so far.

"We've not agreed a fee with Stoke and although James is on the list at the moment, it is not looking like he will be coming to Blackburn."

Blackman 6 month loan to Motherwell

nicko Posted Today, 02:22 PM

Beattie update.

Good spot by whoever saw him at Manchester airport.

He has yet to agree terms with Rangers.

The next step is getting a sweetener from Stoke to leave.

Rangers not getting this done as fast as they want.

nicko Posted Today, 02:59 PM

michaelthomas, on 13 August 2010 - 14:54 PM, said:

SSN news ticker; Sky Sources Rangers agree deal for James Beattie from Stoke.

Personal terms have yet to be agreed.

But if Rovers don't move NOW that one has gone...

pete1981 Posted Today, 03:03 PM

PaulPlunkettLT

Blackburn were never in for James Beattie in the first place. He's just joined Rangers

nicko Posted Today, 03:12 PM

Perhaps the chap should read his own paper...they have been running the story on and off for months.

Mainly because the interest has been on and off for months.

Or even listen to the words of the manager a couple of hours back.

"We've not agreed a fee with Stoke and although James is on the list at the moment, it is not looking like he will be coming to Blackburn."

nicko Posted Today, 03:26 PM

Beattie done to Rangers.

DIDN'T get any money from Stoke to leave.

Got three years on £1.2 million.

Where next?

nicko Posted Today, 03:44 PM

I don't think there have been any offers for the names mentioned above...but clearly the playersd being watched this weekend have now become more 'live' than they were a couple of hours ago.

Take a breath here.

Beattie at £1 million-ish plus wages of £3.6 million is way too much for Rovers. Quite why it has taken three or four months to work that one out is a mystery.

The idea he could somehow be nicked on a free or loan - which has raised its head at times - has just been rpoved to be stupidity.

nicko Posted Today, 04:12 PM

Bazrakats, on 13 August 2010 - 16:05 PM, said:

Were does this leave Jelavic.

Now there isnt much competion couldnt we have a better hand to negotiate with?

Jelavic was watched and has been available...so I can only take it he is not rated good value.

He has been hanging around with a 'come and get me' smile for weeks.

No reaction yet.

nicko Posted Today, 04:39 PM

BuckyRover, on 13 August 2010 - 16:33 PM, said:

I would be happy with Benjani. I have already reconciled this with myself

At this point I will find a darkened room and lie down.

No 11 o'clocker tonight. No point.

All is well.

Daily Mail links us to Guiza again

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 13 10;45pm - Aug 15 7;00am

An alleged league table of newspaper accuracy in transfer reports

Tribal repeated the links to Guiza and Vainqueur.

Arsenal linked to £9m bid for Jones

67splitscreen Posted Yesterday, 10:46 PM

Guiza, looks like he will be moving soon, Fener have signed Senegalese striker Mamadou Niang.

LT link- Sam confirms interest in Huseklepp but says permanent moves are nearly impossible so he is working on another loan deal.

On the Rovers sold thread-

Paul Kelso link in the Telegraph

LT link expanded

eddie Posted Yesterday, 09:08 AM

I can give you a brief summary of some of the things that Darmon has done:

In the 1970s he was the first to get French clubs to look for shirt sponsorship and to sell space on the billboards around the pitch.

He was really responsible for French football's original TV contracts, which still form the basis for their deals today.

He was heavily involved in the marketing of the French national team during the 1980's.

Interestingly for us, he's always been noted for the kindness with which he deals with the clubs and officials with whom he works. He often gives incredibly favourable contractual terms for the purpose of aiding clubs, rather than seeing them as a cash-cow for his business.

In 2001 his company merged with the Bertelsmann Group (my employers) and Vivendi, which basically formed a super company. The company represents over 300 clubs and 40 football federations worldwide. Duront himself made more than 100 million euros from the deal. He then sold his 5% stake in the company for around 50 million (the company had annual turnover of over 600 million euros).

He was rather controversially forced out of his role as President, basically because of a long-standing rivalry with some of the other major players in the company. At this point he is in many respects retired, but is still involved in various deals.

The one major concern would be that what he was brilliant at was modernising French football and exploiting the full potential of TV deals and sponsorship. I'm not sure if the "next step" for a club like us is quite as simple. He's incredibly intelligent and would be a great person to have on board though.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 09:15 AM

I thought Jean-Claude Dorman was a French bouncer at first...

But I would have to say that very good information is about the most encouraging thing I have heard about the Syed bid so far.

I was concenred they had no football knowledge. But now they clearly have.

Fair enough.

More from the LT

Wen Y Hu Posted Yesterday, 10:53 AM

Bobby G, on 14 August 2010 - 10:42 AM, said:

Still no 4-page special in the LT?

Yes. It's in today's paper - pages 1-3 and 44 (& 43).

These pages are not on the internet.

LT talk to random Rovers supporters

revidge blue Posted Yesterday, 01:56 PM

Incredibly bullish stuff in the LT.

If I'm reading it correctly it is claimed in the LT WGA has 8 billion worth of assets under control and Mr. Syed's personal wealth is estimated at 7 billion.

The thing that made me really sit up and take notice was that if correct that would make him the 4th richest club owner roughly level with Abramovic at 7.8 billion and way ahead of Spurs backer Joe Lewis at 2.5 billion.

And look at how much Spuds spend on players.

Wikipedia's stab at the personal wealth of various football club shareholders

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 15 7;00am - Aug 16 6;00pm

Starting with the Rovers might be sold thread:

Hughesy Posted Yesterday, 02:03 PM

Taken from the LT article for anyone who hasnt seen it....

The groups aim is to 'make Blackburn Rovers a title contender once again'

Syed's PERSONAL wealth is estimated at £7bn

Cash for transfers will be SUBSTANTIAL

Jean-Claude Darmon signed a consultancy agreement with WGA last week

Syed & his team will be at Ewood TOMORROW to sign the 4 week agreement

Mr Syed's family is decribed as one of the most prominent business families in Hyderbad of the last 150 years

He is the sole Heir to the familys wealth

The Family Business is said to have its origins in the East India Company, which was set up in 1600 to handle all of Englands trade with India

Cannot resist this- Vinjay proposes Maradona as the ideal Manager to replace Sam immediately. :lol:

SergioPeter89 Posted Yesterday, 10:53 PM

From twitter:

PaulPlunkettLT

Another big twist in Blackburn Rovers takeover story. The fight is well on now

kamy Posted Yesterday, 11:56 PM

Could be nothing or could be worrying. It could be that Saurin Shah has cone up with the goods, remember that the exclusivity deal is not signed until tomorrow.

Or if it involves Mr Ali, he looked at Liverpool before going for Rovers, maybe he has used Rovera to get a better deal with Liverpool. I doubt it but you never know.

If Telegraph is not running the story tomorrow morning then will chase it down with Mr Ali's people.

nicko Posted Today, 12:26 AM

I hear the agreement that is due to be signed tomorrow is 'non-binding.'

This means that even if the due diligence works out OK there are no guarantees that Mr Syed gets his deal.

There is a bit of intrigue behind the scenes on this - as some very thoughtful people around here know.

This is far from straightforward.

Of course, I will not believe any of the above until it is denied by the local paper.

kamy Posted Today, 06:30 AM

The Lancashire Telegraph story is that Saurin Shah will fight Syed Ali for Rovers.

They have talked to one of his advisors and who has told them that Mr Shah watched the game on Saturday and expects to enter into Due Diligence on Wednesday. The advisor also said that if Mr Shah believes that what Mr Syed is better for Rovera then he will walk away.

Hmmmmm. Mr Shah has four advisors and having talked to them previously have to say that they are not very professional, each one tells a different story and often they contradict each other. As far as I know, Mr Shah had convinced Rothchilds/The trust that he had the finances in place in the short term but not in the long term.

Maybe Rovers will release a statement after the documents are signed by Mr Ali today.

Iceman Posted Today, 08:59 AM

im hoping Kamy will have a 12'O clocker today What does Julia Thiem say?

Rival Rovers bidder: I'm still in race for club

8:10am Monday 16th August 2010

By Andy Cryer »

Blackburn Rovers reporter

SAURIN Shah has thrown down the gauntlet to his rival Blackburn Rovers bidders – insisting 'I am still in the race to buy the club'.

Just hours before his main rival was expecting to take a huge stride forward in his pursuit of the club, the Mumbai businessman warned 'don't rule me out yet'.

Indian tycoon Ahsan Ali Syed, 36, head of Bahrain-Swiss based investment firm Western Gulf Advisory (WGA), is expecting to sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) at Ewood Park today.

WGA claims this will grant the group a four-week period of exclusivity in which no other bidder can buy the club, or look into the book's, as they explore Rovers' financial situation.

But Mr Shah, 38, with shipping and textile interests, does not expect any suitor to be granted exclusivity at this stage. And he believes his group will enter into the due diligence process themselves – the opening up of the books – on Wednesday.

Rothschilds, the investment banking group charged with selling the club for the Walker Trust, was unavailable for comment yesterday, while Blackburn Rovers declined to comment.

Mr Syed's negotiations team were expected at Ewood Park this morning, where they expect to sign an MoU before completing a takeover 'as quickly as possible'.

They confirmed to the Lancashire Telegraph yesterday they still expect the agreement to be signed today and remain confident about completing the deal.

However, Mr Shah does not believe the situation is so cut and dried and believes his Chief Executive Officer will sign an agreement to enter due diligence upon arrival in England on Wednesday.

A source from inside Shah's camp, said: “Mr Shah still believes his group can be the best thing for Blackburn. He watched Saturday's result from Mumbai and said to his family 'we are going to be a part of this'.

“Saurin does not expect to get any sort of exclusivity at this stage. Rothschilds have told them noone will, and he is willing now to enter into a period of open due diligence.

“He does not mind if Mr Syed's group are also allowed to enter due diligence. He expects that. He just wants to have a fair battle.

“If it turns out that Mr Syed's group are the best for Blackburn Rovers he will walk away in the knowledge the club will be a success. He just wants the best for the club now and believes that could be him.”

Mr Shah's exact wealth and source of funding are still relatively unknown.

He is a businessman with shipping and textile interests and plans to 'bring a touch of Bollywood glamour to the English team' and will try to engage South Asians living in the town..

Hailing from Gujarat, Mr Shah is the nephew of Niranjan Shah, vice-chairman of Indian Premier League and Bharat Shah, the president of Saurashtra Cricket Association.

He is an alumni of Raj Kumar College of Rajkot and his family is also involved in running a school and college in Gujarat and is constructing a sports complex in the same region.

Mr Shah’s family was also involved in cotton industry in India and he started Vardhman Shipping Pvt Limited in the country.

It is understood Spaniard Luis Bernat, owner of Danish shipping giants Holger Kristiansen, runs Mr Shah's shipping interests and is also a member of his group looking to purchase the club.

Sources from Shah's camp accept they would not be able to match sort of figures associated to Mr Syed's bid, but insist they do have the necessary funding to make significant investment for the long term.

Mr Syed's WGA has assets worth more than £8billion while he is the sole heir to a huge personal family fortune.

He has earmarked approximately £300million to acquire the club, cover its outstanding debts and provide capital to buy new players and invest in the long term.

Meanwhile Blackburn Rovers will continue to carry out their research on all the interested parties and their motives as they attempt to preserve Jack Walker's legacy.

DP Posted Today, 09:01 AM

Mr Syed just been on CNBC Europe talking about his interest in t'Rovers.

He got a fair grilling from the presenter about how he expects to make money in this type of industry. Response was all about a long term plan, his financial expertise and marketing the club for growth. "I see huge potetntial in this club" were his words.

It is what it is to these guys, one big game. Just all depends how seriously they want to win the game.

Pete1981 Posted Today, 09:21 AM

Ive just got this back of paul plunkett on twitter

Yes we will find out today on exclusivity when Syeds people meet John Williams. Shah says no exclusivity

rovers1995 Posted Today, 10:02 AM

URGENT UPDATE

Lots of press outside the club shop. Just this minute at least 10 people have got out of big black cars and walked into Rovers getting filmed. These people were Mr Syed and his representatives. They were wheeling cases into the ground. Things are moving fast then

Bombey TV coverage number 1

kamy Posted Today, 10:58 AM

I have contacted Julia Thiem.

She has confirmed again that they have exclusivity. Rovers CANNOT sell the club to anyone else in the next four weeks. HOWEVER, the club are allowed to take with other interested parties during this four week period but not enter into due diligence.

She is extremely confident that they can conclude this deal. They have sent all of their top people/advisors.

keyzer80 Posted Today, 11:27 AM

Quotes from a Tariq Panja (journalist) on Twitter (pretty much what we already knew though):

@SweMeatballs78 indian banking dynasty - he says it goes back eight generations

12 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® in reply to SweMeatballs78

Truckerpaddy @tariqpanja I bet Hicks and Gillet chanced there arm with him as well

37 minutes ago via Echofon in reply to tariqpanja

Retweeted by tariqpanja

@Cazbah88 on the phone

23 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® in reply to Cazbah88

@SweMeatballs78 build up squad, academy + market the team in Mideast, India and Far East. Not an easy job with #MUFC, #LFC #MCFC, #CFC, etc

23 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® in reply to SweMeatballs78

@the_bbq_bob actually planning to invest 300 million in total. 100 on team. I can't see how they'll get a return.

30 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® in reply to the_bbq_bob

Syed family worth 8 billion USD, he claims. says #blackburn is a distressed asset he'll turn around. I don't get rationale of deal.

40 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Just spoken to Ali Ahsan Syed man bidding for #Blackburn. Has big plans for the team. Will keep Big Sam and give him 100 mill he says

about 1 hour ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

LT coverage of the Syed team arriving promises a full interview with Ahsan Ali Sayed tomorrow

CNBC interview with Ahsan Ali Syed this morning

den Posted Today, 03:23 PM

On BBC north west today at lunchtime, it showed Syed's people arriving and it showed them looking at the rovers shirts in the club shop.

Syed spoke to NWT via telephone and said to tell the rovers fans that he wasn't coming here to make money. He said he's making enough money out of his other business affairs. He said he was taking rovers because of a passion. He wanted the rovers fans to support that passion and said he would be here for as long as is reasonably possible.

BBC link

hughesy Posted Today, 04:09 PM

You have to be in dream world boys & girls......

WGA announced on Friday that it had been granted a four-week period of exclusivity in which to discuss a deal, but Syed, a lawyer who studied at the London School of Economics, insisted he does not expect to make money from Blackburn, instead describing his potential purchase as a "passion".

"I have been presented with a lot of clubs, but Blackburn really came to my attention because it suits my investment philosophy," he added.

"If you have seen my investments in the past they are always good assets who are undervalued and who have huge potential for a turnaround situation. I have been doing this for 14 years now and Blackburn fitted the bill.

"I am very excited, happy, I feel privileged, but I would not like to call myself as the owner of Blackburn, but as a fan of Blackburn, and I would love for all the fans to support me.

"I would ask the fans to please adopt me as a local. I am not here to make money, I have enough investments outside of the sporting entities to make money, I am taking Blackburn as a passion and I would like them to support me in my passion. This is an investment to fuel my passion."

Syed is yet to meet Rovers boss Allardyce, who led the club to an opening day 1-0 win over Everton on Saturday, but admits he is a big fan of the former Bolton and Newcastle manager.

"I have not met Sam Allardyce, but I've read enough about him to really praise him," said Syed. "He's done a fantastic job with limited resources, and I'm sure with my liquidity and support I think he can do wonders.

"I want to move quickly so that we can do well in the transfer window"

Bloomberg link

kamy Posted Today, 04:42 PM

Glad that everyone is happy about this deal.

The reason that he has picked us is because we fit his business philosophy, namely taking on well run organisations and providing funds to take them to the next level.

His people are extremely professional and if they say that they want to complete this deal quickly then they will do everything possible to do so.

Just a note of caution we are nor looking at Man City level's of spending, but it will be substancial and give Rovers a real chance at competing.

Keep the faith guys, if this all goes through then exciting times are ahead.

Bombay TV report number 2

chaddy Posted 8 minutes ago

Very good interview with Radio Lancashire. Not looking to make a profit. Will support Big Sam transfer plans. keep the current management of the club. improve the marketing of the club and is investing has a fan of the club. Has a 15 year plan for the club. He is looking to invest long term in the club. Hope this happens now!!!!!!

Meanwhilst on the transfer front:

Sky link- Pereira arrives for a Sam look over

nicko Posted Yesterday, 06:05 PM

brian_gallagher85, on 15 August 2010 - 16:14 PM, said:

Smashing start from the young lad looking really bright and some great touches in front of goal. However he's just landed very badly and it doesn't look too good Off after less than 20 minutes...

And there goes the 11 o'clocker.

You are having no luck at the moment.

No idea who is next on the list.

Unbelievable.

nicko Posted Today, 12:13 AM

Torgeir, on 15 August 2010 - 22:37 PM, said:

Is it him who prefers to join a London based club? Any idea if the injury is serious?

The one who goes to London will probably be signing for a London club this week...

And sadly Pentceote's injury sounds pretty bad. Know more on that tomorrow.

It has been a brutal window.

nicko Posted Today, 12:22 AM

roversfan99, on 16 August 2010 - 00:20 AM, said:

Anything on Benjani, Perea or Huseklepp?

I don't think Benjani has looked too great but could be offered a short-term deal if all else fails.

Perea may come in on trial but a look at his record at Bordeaux suggests he will be found guilty.

I really don't know much about the Norwegian, but if he is cheap then he could sneak over the line the way things are going.

So sad about the Pentecote thing. Liked the look of him.

smoss Posted Today, 04:30 AM

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but allegedly Sam has made a loan offer for Henri Lansbury of Arsenal. http://www.thedailyr...m/archives/4778

I understand that Wenger and Sam don't get along, but this could be in the interests of both clubs.

nicko Posted Today, 02:38 PM

Disaster for Pentecote...just had x-ray results...anterior cruciate knackered...six months out.

He thought he was ok this morning but that verdict could not be worse.

Total sickener.

nicko Posted Today, 03:59 PM

MeanGreenMachine, on 16 August 2010 - 15:43 PM, said:

Not to jump the gun, but with Mr Ali's latest interview and Sam does have the chance to splash some cash, would it be likely we are in for someone like Crouch?

I would be stunned if there were funds for this window...

Transfer and takeover digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 16 6;00pm - Aug 18 8;30am

Starting with the Rovers sold thread:

Arabian Business link

Ewood and I would Posted 16 August 2010 - 18:42 PM

When the Glazers took over at Utd all they said (or got an advisor to say) was....

"They saw it as an investment. They got a very good deal."

And that was supposed to appease the largets fanbase in the Prem. Mr Syed's comments are very welcome...

BBC Radio Lancashire interview- better listen to that before it goes off the site.

kamy Posted 16 August 2010 - 20:41 PM

Great that Mr Ali has confirmed all of this and it is in the public domain now.

If this happens then it is great for our club and gives people so much hope for the future. However, although I am no financial whizz, we still need to show caution. There are still things that they need to work out, this is not a done deal yet, everything is pointing towards it happen, but issue(s) could still arise. I know it is hard not to get excited but we have to keep our feet on the ground until the deal has been signed.

Broken_picture_frame Posted 16 August 2010 - 20:56 PM

Also the PR comments...

In a previous life I did PR for Jack Daniels and the wife is still involved in major PR that I shouldn't talk about.

Anyway, A PR person can tell their bosses all the right things to say but you NEVER promise to do something that you have no intention to do. That is career suicide and should be reserved for politics.

For that reason I can assure all of you that the talk of money for transfers is not just PR. The good sign that this is the case, is the fact that he quoted an exact figure.

A pure PR statement is Saurin Shah "I'll bring back the glory days with lots of finances."

Skysports link

kamy Posted 16 August 2010 - 21:25 PM

I totally agree Rev, the Trust should be as flexible as possible to try and ensure that this deal happens. The message consistently from his team over the last two weeks has been exactly what Syed has said to the press today, I believe him mainly because he has no reason to lie. He is clearly a very wealthy man who is determined to buy Rovers.

Not only that but they want to do the deal quickly to give Sam some funds, that is a statement of intent that they mean business.

After today if this falls through because of issues with the trust then they are going to face a huge backlash, very surprised that the club haven't released a statement today.

American Rover12, on 16 August 2010 - 21:21 PM, said:

http://www.skysports...6316462,00.html

Excellent interview.

He talks about his liquidity and crucially about the long term "15 year business plan" "making Rovers self sustainable". He is clearly thought out plan as to how to take Rovers forward.

philipl Posted 16 August 2010 - 21:31 PM

We are into areas which in many ways are beyond money now. A number for investment in Rovers has been repeatedly articulated by Ahsan Ali Syed and I doubt a guy worth $8bn would be unable to point at where $480m is going to come from over the next 15 years so the question now is whether the mutual trust, professionalism and energy are there to make this deal real?

From the outside I get the impression of highly competent professionalism on both sides and that should rapidly develop into mutual personal respect. Increasingly the Executives who met today will own making the deal happen as their personal projects based on business judgement and how they feel about the people on the other side of the table.

At 9am this morning, you have to remember their brief was to meet complete strangers representing the other side not only to see whether they can make the respective owners' deal wishes come true but also to protect the interests of their respective owner/ bosses.

After a hard day's work, the really revealing photographs would not have been of everyone going into Ewood this morning but their demeanour and body language when they come out this evening.

If today has gone well, the acquisition by WGA will be getting a momentum which is close to unstoppable. Goodwill rapidly built up on both sides will mean they all get into problem solving mode to resolve any issues as they come up.

The Harwood Yankee Posted 16 August 2010 - 22:59 PM

Listening to the BBC Lancs interview Mr Syed certainly made all the right sounds regarding the spirit of how we would want an overseas owner to approach the club. He has a respect for the club and its fans and he isnt too grand to state that. After one interview he has probably made more fans than those cowboys at ManUtd and Liverpool will ever accomplish!

From a business point of view he obviously will need to prove his intentions are good and only time will tell. However, with a move as massive as this there could so easily be alarm bells ringing even at this early stage and it seems the general concensus on here is more a fear that the bottom will fall out of the deal than worries about Mr Syed.

Very very interesting times for us Rovers fans.. and not a little prophetic that it should happen in the week of the tenth anniversary of Uncle Jack's passing..

Sun link

Guardian link

Foxsports link

Sporting Life link

Daily Telegraph link

Rovers club statement from the Official site

LT full coverage of Monday's events

Insider media analysis

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:46 AM

chilly, on 17 August 2010 - 11:38 AM, said:

Why is no-one noticing that Ahsan's first aim is to secure our premiership status, thats the only aim he's set for us so far in his 1st "5yr phase". Nowhere is he mentioning going gung ho and trying to buy the title in one season. His first aim is to make us stable, after that he slowly wants to build us over 15 years into a champions league team.

So stop with all the posts about not wanting to be man city and "100mill wont win us the prem,he'll be disappointed and leave us in the lurch" etc etc..100mill is there to make us a stable premiership team. Read what he's saying before posting all the pointless negativity.

I thought that was the stand-out comment too. Everything else is hysterics.

It will be great news if there is new money, but not all at once ffs...

BBC link

Guardian link

revidge blue Posted Yesterday, 08:43 PM

NookRover, on 17 August 2010 - 19:30 PM, said:

Never thought I’d ever feel the need to post on here! But here goes……..

Anyone got Mr Syed’s email address??

I want to email him and ask him if he just heard the small piece they did on Talksport about the possible take over! Not sure who they were talking to, some journalist from the Guardian, you could hear Jason “Chelsea” Cundy and Darren “Yorkshireman” Gough audibly smirking and sniggering at the prospect of “little old Blackburn” ever being able to once again bloody the noses of the big city Clubs! Why would you pump that kind of money into a Club who are never going to do anything? Surely traditional Clubs like Blackburn shouldn’t be up for grabs by these bored oligarchs to be used as their playthings??

So it’s already started, deal not even done, and I’m as excited and nervous about the whole thing as anyone, but I really would love for Mr Syed to have heard that! If he is as handy with his wallet as his with his mouth I’m sure he’d be very interested in ramming any future silverware right down certain radio presenters throats!! (If the take over happens of course!) It wont be the last time we hear such ridicule, we should really just forget the whole thing and think ourselves lucky to be fed like dogs off the scraps of the Kings table!

Anyway, rant over, I’ll get back in my box now!

Thanks for listening!

- It was admittedly a disgrace.

David Conn who is usually a very intelligent journalist conducted the interview in a tone of complete incredulity "Why would anyone want to invest in Blackburn Rovers etc" whilst archetypical wockney canker Cundy and Darren Gough sniggered along.

"We don't know anything about this guy blah blah blah" "Portsmouth blah blah blah" "Bad for the game blah blah blah"

If Mr. Syed had been potentially buying into say Liverpool, they'd have been all over him like a rash and it would have been the most wonderful news ever making the Premiership more competitive etc etc etc. They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring!

Darmond Posted Yesterday, 09:01 PM

Think someone asked for a link to the Radio 5 interview.

Old-fashioned cut'n'paste I'm afraid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ort_17_08_2010/

About 19 mins in to 45 minute program, lasts about 4 mins.

Irish link summarises where we are

Hughesy posted a link to the FT which is behind the paywall. I have not copied the entire article but here is a selected quotation:

"Blackburn, said Mr Syed, fitted his investment philosophy – an undervalued, distressed asset, with potential. But he added that unlike other investments, he was not looking to the club to provide a return on investment.

“Tell me which clubs have paid a return,” he said. “If you buy a Ferrari, you drive it not to make money but to drive it for the passion. This is more a passion.”

"Mr Syed said a memorandum of understanding had been signed, and heads of terms agreed, and that he had also been through the Premier League’s ownership rules.

"He declined to say how much the club would cost him to buy but said he would provide a £80m-£100m transfer budget for the club in the next two years, and would back the manager, Sam Allardyce."

"Mr Syed, who owns thoroughbreds, said he was also eyeing a Formula One investment."

This Gulf News link gives more detail than most press reports.

Independent link - precise and factual

Interview with Gulf Weekly in which he talks about his following football, why the Rovers and Beckham.

Meanwhilst, in case we forget....

On the Summer Transfer thread-

nicko Posted 16 August 2010 - 20:46 PM

Something going on...

Manager disappeared abroad.

Has to be a striker.

Working on it.

Any spies spotted anything across Europe?

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:40 AM

alexanders, on 17 August 2010 - 11:33 AM, said:

Any clues where Big Sam went yesterday?

I know he is back...so it was either a trip to see a game or meet a player.

None the wiser yet.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 01:41 PM

Iceman, on 17 August 2010 - 12:41 PM, said:

Nicko any idea how Edixon Perea's medical went? I guess thats the 1st thing, that a Rovers fan will ask

It's a test not a medical...the manager's tests are halfway between a trial and a medical.

Not sure how he fits into the Brave New World, but hey ho.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 09:46 PM

Ewood and I Would, on 17 August 2010 - 21:38 PM, said:

Prepare to be stunned...

http://www.guardian....rovers-takeover

An un-named source close to Syed says that the deal is going to be done and there will be money to spend next week.

Right.

Very interesting Academy signing.

chilly Posted Today, 12:52 AM

nicko, on 17 August 2010 - 22:46 PM, said:

Forgive me for being cautious.

One Indian guy tries to buy the club with a poor PR team and gets laughed out of town.

One Indian guy tries to buy the club with a very slick PR operation and suddenly Rovers are going to be spending hundreds of millions.

Syed is making a lot of good noises, saying the right things for the crowd, but there is just a tad too much hype. Makes me nervous.

Call me old-fashioned, but Jack Walker never trumpeted what he was going to spend in advance or made rash claims. He just spent his dough and plenty of it.

I am sure there are enough sensible people at the club to be urging some patience and caution in this process.

There are two weeks to the deadline. I don't see any point on pushing through a takeover to buy a 'show' signing even if the takeover went through THAT fast.

If the guy has a long-term plan you don't rush the first step. Otherwise you fall over.

Just a bit suspicious. Is someone trying to pressurise the club into a quicker decision than the normal four-week due diligence here...?

If Syed wanted to spend all of this cash in the window why not at least start his move for Rovers a week or two earlier and give everyone time to spend this windfall without having to rush through HIS takeover so fast.

Correct me if im wrong but isnt the due dilligence for syed to check brfc as opposed to brfc checking him?As far as I'm aware a company will only grant due dilligence to someone they've checked out n are willing to sell to.

Hence if syed wants to rush the due dilligence thats fine, its HIS time and chance to make sure rovers are what they say they are.

And finally who said hes going for trophy signings?hes giving us a transfer kitty to stabilize our prem status not win the title and its prob obvious to him as it is to us we need money this window to buy a striker and a midfielder as we're severely lacking in both areas and are struggling as we dont have the funds.

So call me old fashioned but if i was about to buy a club and i was sure i'd be buying it i too would try to push things through so that my club didnt have to suffer and struggle to do well as they only have 2 strikers until January, by which time all clubs will know we're desperate and have money hence will raise their price.

Spending only 10mill in this window could mean the difference between finishing 10th and 6th..

Transfer and takeover digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 18 8;30am - Aug 19 6;30am

philipl Posted Yesterday, 09:39 AM

Kamy100, on 18 August 2010 - 09:32 AM, said:

I am little bit confused this morning.

I have talked to two of Saurin Shah's advisers this morning. Both of them are adamant that they are still very much in with a chance of buying Rovers, they concede that Syed Ali has made big steps over the last week, however they say that they had productive talks with Rothchild's yesterday. They believe that Mr Ali still has some issues on which he has to convince the Trust on. They are due to have further talks this week.

Rothschilds are being sensible. It is not over until it is over and there is nothing like a competitor gaining a lead to spur another potential bidder into getting their act together.

These continuing talks with Shah are above board but Syed has said unambiguously that the MoU include heads of agreement. In other words it is now for him to say no sale if they change their minds- otherwise it is a done deal and he is the new owner of Rovers. Let's see if this interpretation gets challenged or refuted shall we?

rovers_rob Posted Yesterday, 10:03 AM

Shah said on Monday he was still in with a chance but since then the club have made an official statement about productive discussions with WGA.

I think that speaks volumes.

If Shah was still in with a chance I would expect the club to state that they are still in discussions with more than one potential buyer.

If there is any doubt about Syed then I think the club should come out ASAP and play the talks down a bit and tell the fans to calm down !!

67splitscreen Posted Yesterday, 11:41 AM

India.

Cricket, field Hockey, wrestling and football.

Latest figures seem to back up that football is developing at a rapid pace.

Nielsen online survey has found that nearly 56 percent of Indians said they planned to follow World Cup soccer this season.

It may not compare with Brazil’s 84 percent, but that still represents more than 600 million people.

Newsweek link

Ahsan Ali Syed Q&A with BRFCS

kamy100 Posted Yesterday, 02:43 PM

There is a very good possibility that if the takeover is successful that a face to face Q&A can be arranged for members of this board.

LT link- latest from Saurin Shah says he cannot compete financially with Syed

only2garners Posted Yesterday, 03:25 PM

It's very interesting and encouraging that he wants to meet and talk to fans. Separately yesterday I put down a marker with the club for a meeting with Mr Syed and the Fans Forum at an appropriate time, which seemed to be received fairly positively.

Football365 link - Sam not expecting to have money to spend in this window

Eurosport link - Sam takes it steady

New Guardian interview with Ahsan Ali Syed

den Posted Yesterday, 08:10 PM

Ewood and I Would, on 18 August 2010 - 19:55 PM, said:

New ineterview with Ali Syed in the guardian

http://www.guardian....-syed-blackburn

"see if there lies potential to increase the seating of the stadium,

Exactly how I said he would approach it. Too many people taking everything he says to the letter.

Ewood and I would Posted Yesterday, 10:43 PM

RovertheHill, on 18 August 2010 - 22:19 PM, said:

You sound really desperate for this all to be as good as it sounds. I hope it is but have you ever been to India? For a start, football is not growing as rapidly as you think. Almost nobody plays it - hockey is the national sport and cricket is the passion - and very few watch it. Secondly, India is massively contrasting in terms of income. For hundreds of millions of people £10 a year is simply not disposable income on any sport, let alone one that at best comes a poor third. There is potential I will agree, but quoting simple sums that just have no factual basis isn't helpful at all

Yes I have actually, 2 years ago. You seem to be talking of the India of ten years ago. India has the biggest growth in the middle classes in the World.

http://www.mckinseyq...ddle_class_2032 Mckinsey link

"Over the next two decades, the country’s middle class will grow from about 5 percent of the population to more than 40 percent and create the world’s fifth-largest consumer market."

As for football, international football is currently India's second most watched sport (behind Cricket). The amount of people that play is it irrelevant, only the amount prepared to watch it (the popularity to play it comes from the increase in viewing figures not the other way around).

If you don't think there is potential there you are crazy. You've been watching too much slumdog millionaire...

bazza, on 18 August 2010 - 22:34 PM, said:

Speculation seems to concentrate on developing the Ewood area and building a team capable of challenging the current bigwigs and playing in Europe.

If this take-over goes ahead, my immediate relief will be our ability to retain players such as Phil Jones without having to sell to greedy clubs such as Arsenal.

Keep yer 'ands off 'im, Gunners!

That's a good point...

Hughesy Posted Today, 12:08 AM

Ewood and I Would has some good points....the media & experts see them as the fastest growing economy, with football being a fast growing sport too.

The changing face of Football in India Football India link

See this key paragraph...

Influence of global leagues: With the increasing interest in the Premier League, La Liga and the Champions League, football is gaining importance amongst the youth in India. Kids are definitely taking up the game and it is here that football should compete with cricket. Now, it’s up to the administration to bank on the opportunity

Meanwhilst on volumes 2 and 3 of the Transfers saga....

Hughesy Posted Yesterday, 09:26 AM

LT today - Bulgarian Striker Ivelin Popov has started a trial, hes 22 and from Litex Lovech.

Last season bagged 8 in 19 games & 3 in 15 internationals.

Also GOOD NEWS - Teymourians move has been ended - Permit has been turned down & nothing can be done!

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:59 AM

67splitscreen, on 18 August 2010 - 11:51 AM, said:

Nicko, don't suppose you found out were Sam went Monday?.

Yes, courtesy of the excellent BomBom's info, he was at a book launch in Ireland.

The 'European' player I had heard about must have been the Bulgarian lad who was due in - rather than the manager going to see him.

Amazed that there has not been much discussion on Popov. Decent player, skillful if lightweight but NOT a central striker.

He could turn out to be your most expensive signing of the window.

Yet that has hardly registered on the radar.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 01:03 PM

Ewood and I Would, on 18 August 2010 - 12:59 PM, said:

My point is, I don't see how us signing Popov casts doubt on the probability of Syed becoming our new owner which you seem to be heavily implying.

In the real world, in the here and now, Sam is trying to sign players on the budget he has.

The club has got to act this way because they are not run by fantasists and dreamers who think that someone is going to come in and give them a fortune in the next fortnight.

I don't doubt Syed wants the club or has the money to do so.

I liked what he said about stability this season and standing by the people who run the club right now.

I dislike this change of tack and talking about 'give me your club and I will spend millions before the window shuts.'

nicko Posted Yesterday, 01:05 PM

yeti-dog, on 18 August 2010 - 13:00 PM, said:

Definitely sounds like he might be worth a punt whilst we're still skint.

Popov was clearly not top of any shopping list, but does fit in as a player who won't cost a fortune and fill a vacancy in the squad.

MarkAtkins'BaldPatch, on 18 August 2010 - 13:01 PM, said:

Does Popov have any pace Nicko?

He moves well with the ball, but isn't what you would call rapid. Subtle player.

If anyone has extended highlights of Litex Lovech v Aston Villa a year or two back they would see what he has to offer. Sure he scored a goal and did well until he got an injury.

jim mk 2 Posted Yesterday, 02:50 PM

brianpepper, on 18 August 2010 - 14:39 PM, said:

Ah when not if?

So did you know what was going on and not break it before another paper through caution?

Journalists have specialist areas depending on their particular interests and contacts. A reporter dealing with agents and players for his stories may not have necessarily have sources within the boardroom.

Look at any national newspaper - some journalists report on football politics while others report on transfer gossip.

Goading an important source of information on here doesn't do the messageboard any favours.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 05:56 PM

RoverRich, on 18 August 2010 - 17:50 PM, said:

So Nicko, do you know who played in the game today? Will you be revealing any of the trialists that took part? Did the 2 we know about, Perea and Popov, play at all?

Chelsea at Cobham. Decent match. Star player Alex Marrow. Tons of scouts there. Branco played and the French kid Jeffrey Senou came on - neither much cop. Jason Roberts very lively but very expensive.

67 splitscreen Posted Yesterday, 07:41 PM

Mr. E, on 18 August 2010 - 19:31 PM, said:

A Bulgarian site is reporting Popov has signed for 2 million pounds.

Translation from their Official club site @ 20.30

I just completed negotiations between FC, Blackburn and Ivelin Popov. The attacker has the English football team. . All three countries are satisfied with the arrangements. Ivelin Popov comes back in Bulgaria on Thursday to collect their luggage and to submit documents for a British work visa. Popov next week will join Blackburn.

A second article on their web site states. @ 19.05

FC and Blackburn is currently negotiating personal terms Ivelin Popov. If they successfully complete the master of Lovech team will sign a contract with the British.

Ivelin Popov has been in Blackburn, but not to pass tests. . National was subject only to the fitness test, which lasted an hour and a half.

Mr E Posted Yesterday, 07:42 PM

rebelmswar, on 18 August 2010 - 19:37 PM, said:

Don’t just Popov like that, do you have a link?

http://topsport.ibox...s/id_1944242390

It's in Bulgarian, but the title reads: Confirmed: Ivelin Popov is a Blackburn player , and it goes on to say he agreed personal terms and will have his work visa ready by next week.

I can't vouch it's 100% true, as this site has been known to come up with baloney in the past, but usually they get it right when they say it's been confirmed.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:11 PM

Popov's club think there is a deal. They claim he is coming back to sort out his work permit, which should be a formality. And then he returns to Blackburn next week.

He is their captain, best player, etc. I think they might know what they are talking about.

This is big news over there and they would surely know what is happening. Of course there could be some optimism on their part as the fee - which won't be as big as £3 million and more likely half - is a whole lot of potatoes for them.

In his case the test could have been brief. Rovers know he can kick it straight and it would just be a quick assessment otherwise.

The local paper or its new-look twitter edition will be getting their news from the 'cautious' club source they go to. It would not be the first time this summer that the chairman didn't know what the manager was doing...

Lansbury to Leeds

Mirror link on Popov trial

Teymourian hopes to join in January

Beckham link

Another Beckham link

Transfer and takeover digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 19 6;30am - Aug 20 6;00am

There were no posts by nicko.

Sporting Intelligence Q&A with Ahsan Ali Syed

Key quote for that piece is-

Q: How much does he intend to spend on transfers this month?

A: The transfers are something that is in the hand of the management of a club. And as far as we are concerned, Sam Allardyce has commented on that today*.

On the transfer thread:

den Posted Yesterday, 10:19 AM

Sam said on Radio Lancs this morning, that as the window gets nearer to closing there would be more options to get loan players in - which he said would probably be the right way for the club to go.

Suggests that he believes a takeover will happen.

LT link- Popov reports are premature

QPR loan move for Roberts

BBC link- Benjani fitness assessed

Mirror link to Greening

Mirror link; Rovers and WHam battle for Bolton's Matty Taylor

On the Popov thread, Mr E Posted Today, 03:51 AM

apparently he has returned to Bulgaria, but declined to speak to journalists. The rumors are he did have a medical at Ewood, but failed it as they found narcotics in his system.

This is becoming a comedy. A sad one.

Archived