SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers top of the league

Finch

The women's premier league that is :tu:

Table

c'mon the girls

ok now bring on the sexist comments :rolleyes:

I know, I know. A pedant. Boring one at that. But, for God's sake (note the apostrophe can be present here - in the possessive), it's not (or here where there is a letter missing) not too difficult that it should NEVER, EVER, EVER, be in the name of our club. The name is Blackburn Rovers. No apostrophe, no possessive, no missing letters. Just the Rovers. That's it. Yes use banana's if you are a greengrocer and folk will usually pass on..but the name of your club? Sacrilege. Sorry, Fin'ch. Just got me at the wrong time.

Au contraire, youarearover, most certainly not boring, you've in fact inspired me to change my signature.

Prost.

Preston North End 3 Blackburn Rover's 0

Grammatically, your au contraire should be in italics, indicating a phrase not found in the English language but readily understood. Your final sign off, 'Prost', stands empty. Like the Town End on Derby day, it frowns at the rest of the prose, but neither links nor challenges it. A more obvious literary device would be to place the (ostensibly ironic) 'Prost' In italics. This gives it emphasis, but would surely clash with your earlier annotation had you thought to include it. Vacuous and devoid of linkage, it rebounds on itself and raises an unintended (at least by the author) 'cheers' to the watching Rover (singular, not plural, note). Your post is now, literally, (I use this in the perfect meaning rather than its abused common usage), devoid of impact, and the signature now slides into disrepute. The purposeful apostrophe 'error' now stands, to the reader, as an extension of the literary flaws so readily exposed in your previous musings.

Which renders it, I think the term in Association Football parlance to be....an Own Goal. Or 'second class' in stature. Which I believe your soccer team to be also. N'est ce pas?

Fantastic! You're good, very good. You can't be from the cobbled hills out east.

I know when I'm beaten and I know when I can't win, but I feel I need to rebuff your 'unintended' quip.

As all good trolls will say when they find themselves in an unwinnable situation, this is my last word in this thread. :P

Your post is now, literally, (I use this in the perfect meaning rather than its abused common usage), devoid of impact, and the signature now slides into disrepute. The purposeful apostrophe 'error' now stands, to the reader, as an extension of the literary flaws so readily exposed in your previous musings.

You really should know that the comma after 'literally' is completely unnecessary.

One doesn't simply place a comma where one would 'draw breath'. Both a comma and a bracket are parentheses and, as such, both allow the opportunity for the reader to 'draw breath', as you put it. Your error was that, by placing a comma after the word 'literally', you detached that which you had written between brackets from its subject. You obviously meant the subject of the words within the brackets to be the word 'literally' but by placing the unnecessary comma after the word 'literally' the subject of the words between brackets actually relates to the entire sentence, which it most obviously should not.

I wouldn't normally give a ###### but, as you jumped on somebody's small error and made yourself the resident pedant, I thought I'd point out your error.

You are a moran (note the spelling and google it).

You are a moran (note the spelling and google it).

Out of interest, as I was pleased to learn a new word, does it only mean this?

"An unmarried Maasai or Samburu warrior"

Out of interest, as I was pleased to learn a new word, does it only mean this?

"An unmarried Maasai or Samburu warrior"

On other, less respectable, message boards I frequent a newly signed up pedant would be called a 'moran'. He/she normally replies that the poster calling him a 'moran' can't even spell the word but, by doing so, he outs himself as a 'noob' and goes away scratching his head wondering what the hell everyone is on about when they tell him that 'moran' is the correct spelling. It's just an ironic misspelling of moron.

Moran

>> Your a moran

Pedant>> Do you mean 'You're a moron'?

>>No, its definately moran, your a noob arn'et u?

Pedant>> What are you on about? Is English your third language?

>> Go away moran

• Guest featured and unfeatured this topic

Archived