BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mr. Zoot Horn Rollo hit that long lean note and let it float

Anyone else?

"Trout Mask Replica" hasd kept me engrossed for 40 years. I don't think I'll evr see its like again.

Colin...

I've owned the album/cd since it came out on CD-- going back nearly 20 years---- but I cannot bring myself to hear the entire thing! Just can't do it! Absolutely Love 'Safe as Milk'.... but the Captn' done lost me after that. It's just way way out man. :)

Colin...

I've owned the album/cd since it came out on CD-- going back nearly 20 years---- but I cannot bring myself to hear the entire thing! Just can't do it! Absolutely Love 'Safe as Milk'.... but the Captn' done lost me after that. It's just way way out man. :)

WTF?? just notice he's passed away??? ######. RIP, Captain... why couldn't the reaper take a rapper instead?

Thanks for that link, Oz. After Colin's post last night i got all wrapped up in TMR and wasn't able to bed down until 4 am. I heard the album front to back for nearly three listens... I think it's started to sink in. wow.

That 'gravel pit' voice as John Robb put it was our last linkage to Howlin' Wolf and John Hooker-- no doubt we'll not see the likes of the Captain come this way again-- not in these times of corporate music.

So long Captain, you crazy wonderful old @#/?!

RIP Don Van Vliet.

I knew Colin was a big fan, he had the line from Big Eyed Beans From Venus as his sig on here for a while. TMR is often quoted as a major source of inspiration to many late 60s/70s artists. I'd put him right up their with Zappa, Bowie and Reed as creative forces of that era.

To me the world is a poorer place for his passing - one less light to shine out amongst the dark clouds of mediocrity. Safe As Milk is one of the most stunning debut albums I have ever heard and sits comfortably alongside those other 1967 releases that influenced so many subsequently (Piper at the gates of dawn, Velvet Undergound, Sgt. Pepper, Pretty Things to name but four).

I enjoyed the Captains music and attitude throughout his career - he was unpredictable, uncompromising and inimitable. Everyone should give the man a listen - just don't start with TMR, you have to be assimilated into the ways of Beefheart before dabbling with that one!

Perhaps his soul lives on in the form of those he has influenced?

Thanks Chaps (I'm assuming here,)

It's rather nice to know that there are a few other people who sat through that carp on Saturday and freezing their bits off were also tipping their hats to the decline of The Captain.

Thanks Chaps (I'm assuming here,)

It's rather nice to know that there are a few other people who sat through that carp on Saturday and freezing their bits off were also tipping their hats to the decline of The Captain.

Indeed it is - it is also reassuring to know that others may have been reminded of Zig Zag Wanderer as our midfield toiled to little effect in the final third.

Question: If a team were to epitomise Beefheart which would it be? From any era

Question: If a team were to epitomise Beefheart which would it be? From any era

I suspect that Venkys may be having a go as an exercise in surrealism.

I had the pleasure of seeing the mighty captain twice within a couple of months in 1972. The first was in Newcastle at Easter when a few of us sneaked out of a university field trip in Alnwick to do down and had to break back into the castle in the early hours when we got back. Second was at Bickershaw festival a few weeks later but I don't remember much about that apart from the rain and mud.

The dust blows forward and the dust blows back.

I suspect that Venkys may be having a go as an exercise in surrealism.

I had the pleasure of seeing the mighty captain twice within a couple of months in 1972. The first was in Newcastle at Easter when a few of us sneaked out of a university field trip in Alnwick to do down and had to break back into the castle in the early hours when we got back. Second was at Bickershaw festival a few weeks later but I don't remember much about that apart from the rain and mud.

The dust blows forward and the dust blows back.

Agreed, Venky's gives them all a run for their money. If you gents have some time, dig into youtube for snippets of the Captn's appearances on our David Letterman show... mostly from '80-82 and predating his last album.

What a mind! He was slightly before my time and I say what w/ much sadness.

Archived