BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] International Football League v FIFA

Taken from the FIFA thread:

They should do it, but should do it smart. Don't leave alone. Form alliances with the 'rich' nations, such as the USA (and hopefully, Spain) and leave en masse.

The objective when England leaves is not to be petulant, but to cripple FIFA while establishing a dominant rival organization.

I'm interested if there are any legs in this as a discussion.

In this National version of the Premier League (IFL?), who would have the Peter Scudamore role? And would it need to be a world political figure? Would it have promotion from the "FIFA division" and there was a relationship with FIFA? Or would it be a new "code" which harnessed technology? What format would an IFL structure have? League or cup? And where would UEFA fit in all this? Would a breakaway organisation revolutionise the sport or would it destroy football? After all England can't even agree a Home Nation competition format - presumably down to sponsorship.

So IFL, yeah or nay?

If it was ever to happen there would be some interesting decisions to be made.

Who decides which other teams should be in this IPL? What if whoever it is, deems that England shouldn't be in the IPL, what would we do then? What if over time the teams left out of the IPL become better than those in?

I don't know if it would destroy international football, but I don't think it would do it much good. For all the badness of FIFA, I think we'd soon get into a situation where the new organisation was just as bad, and then there'd be two of them.

You don't need to form a breakaway organisation. A dirty bomb and a few RPGs at the next FIFA shindig in Geneva would be more productive. That's the only way you can clean up FIFA. I'd love a load of coutries to say 'up yours Bladder' and form a breakaway IFL, but without money it will never work.

I'd love a load of coutries to say 'up yours Bladder' and form a breakaway IFL, but without money it will never work.

The PL is the richest league in the world right now. The USA and other nations are wealthy. Assuming the FA had the stones and brains to get the right nations together, it could cripple FIFA.

And tactically speaking, it need not necessarily have to follow through. But if the FA engaged in open forthright debate, and appeared to be gaining traction, I think the odds very high that FIFA would cave. FIFA has power because certain of the national associations allow it to have power. Call its' bluff. Push the issue. And if FIFA doesn't cave, then you can always go through with it. Take the prime footballing nations and markets, and leave FIFA the dregs.

To give the new association increased credibility, it could:

1. Allow goal line technology.

2. Allow after match video evidence to punish diving and other disreputable fouls.

3. Allow a referee's call to be challenged during the match, but assessing a severe sanction (such as a yellow card being awarded against a player of the opposing team's choice) in the event the challenge is not upheld to cut down on the frequency of challenges.

4. Give each team one end of the season vote on whether to keep or let go each league referee. The little clubs would have the same clout as big clubs and any perceived bias or incompetent referee could be removed within a year, if a majority agreed.

I think something along those lines would destroy FIFA.

I would be cautious about any breakaway group forming, partly because of the strife and division that would occur (and the resulting issues with the football schedule), and also because England and other wealthy footballing countries are likely to bully the poorer countries somewhat in the structuring of the organisation. At least at the moment small nations get a voice which I think is a good thing.

However Fifa does need some kind of higher authority to review its practices and deal with the obvious issues it has.

If it was ever to happen there would be some interesting decisions to be made.

Who decides which other teams should be in this IPL? What if whoever it is, deems that England shouldn't be in the IPL, what would we do then? What if over time the teams left out of the IPL become better than those in?

I don't know if it would destroy international football, but I don't think it would do it much good. For all the badness of FIFA, I think we'd soon get into a situation where the new organisation was just as bad, and then there'd be two of them.

How was the PL line up decide? Okay slightly different because there were already natural divisions but presumably we are just talking about the top 20 FIFA ranked national teams. It's either that or the top 20 richest nations. Initially at least they would have to form a separate competition and have their own "World Cup".

The founders of the PL would have had the same concerns so maybe their chairs or former chairs could offer advice. Who was Man Utd chair in 1992, Kenyon?

How was the PL line up decide? Okay slightly different because there were already natural divisions but presumably we are just talking about the top 20 FIFA ranked national teams. It's either that or the top 20 richest nations. Initially at least they would have to form a separate competition and have their own "World Cup".

The founders of the PL would have had the same concerns so maybe their chairs or former chairs could offer advice. Who was Man Utd chair in 1992, Kenyon?

When the PL was created Division 1 became the Premierleague, Division 2 because Division 1 etc. They didn't selectively choose the teams in it. If they had the likes of us wouldn't have been near it in a million years!

Top 20 FIFA countries currently misses out some biggies - USA aren't in I'm afraid.

Top 20 richest countries gives you a load of terrible teams. Interestingly it means that Qatar is the #1 country, who are the reason we're discussing all this in the first place.

And it's not just the international football you have to think about, what about European and domestic competitions. Presumably our teams cannot play in Champs League then our national team play in New World Cup etc. etc.

I'm with JBN. Changes do need to be made to Fifa and other governing bodies, but I don't think a new organisation would solve anything. The only reason we're discussing this is because we deem ourselves to be the greatest team in the world and feel that we've been hard done to because they didn't give us the world cup.

So rather than the PL change, Clare. This sounds more like the breakaway-league-brain-child of Bolton chairman Phil Gartside.

The only fair way, surely has to be the top 20 best performers. Bad luck USA as far as I'm concerned.

Still don't think it can work as a breakaway but I don't believe that FIFA will change without external force - and a change at the top. And not a promotion for Platini.

Beckham for FIFA President! :D

If the accusations about bribes are true, then it would be good that smaller nations have little say. Jack Warner holding a world cup bid to ransom, along with footballing giants such as Thailand and Paraguay? Come on that's just pathetic seeing the FA rimming no-mark nations for a few votes.

Archived