BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Calling all weight lifting nuts....

Im sure I cannot be the only gym nut on this forum so thought all of us Flex Wheeler wannabes could congregate and discuss things such as our training routines/splits, the supplements we are currently using and what we think of bodybuilders past and present.

Anyone...

Im sure I cannot be the only gym nut on this forum so thought all of us Flex Wheeler wannabes could congregate and discuss things such as our training routines/splits, the supplements we are currently using and what we think of bodybuilders past and present.

Anyone...

Well yes but on a long sabbatical at the moment due to new twins! can't even get chance to do anything at home. I can't say I'm a Flex wannabe, when I was in my late teens/early 20s a lad I trained with a lad started doing comps so I did attend a few with him and actually met Flex at the Manchester Apollo along with Ronnie Coleman, Jay Cutler etc, Mr Yates was hosting that night. To be honest I always thought those guys were just too much. I really got into weights through needed to seriously bulk up for rugby. I did have a few years off when injuries really took their toll but started again a couple of years ago only to be surprised by two bundles of joy! When I was really into my training I was doing a 4-way split on Mon, Tues, Wed & Fri, on the days off I'd do cardio. Back then I could manage that work load and fit in the 6 and 7 meals a day. I was also quite lucky that I knew a rep for ProLab and a couple of guys involved with maximuscle so supplements were cheap! I loved the N-Large and would go through buckets of the stuff. These days, well most recent history I've just been buying MyProtein Whey and making my own shakes though I did start purchasing a Whey/Egg mix from a company nr Blackpool that broke up the monotony of awful tasting shakes!

Those years off really didn't do me any favours and I really regret not sticking at it. Hopefully, when the kids have settled I'll be able to get back to a decent 3-way split and get back into a proper diet. I am coming up for 33 so my best days are long gone but hopefully I'll get a few stone off - and back on again if you get my drift!

Im definitely not training to compete as you pretty much have to quit your job and live breath and sh@t the gym to do so. I got the gym bug few years back and whenever I can I will hit the gym. Again I will never look like Flex and will never take the substances to do so! But boy do I admire the hard work and sacrifices they make to look the way the do. I have gone off the bloated bodybuilders you see today, bring back the Frank Zanes anyday.

Currently I am doing a 4 day split routine and for supplements check out myprotein.co.uk. Brilliant supps at low prices and best of all British!

Same! Just got my myprotein stuff through this morning! Total Protein (as it is a whey, egg, caesin blend saves faffing about with all different proteins), BCAA and oats, and that's it. You could supplement all day long with allsorts, but that is enough for me.

Arm, ,leg, chest/delt and back split, hiit cardio on other days.

I do use Myprotein, especially when the vouchers are available. I do like the Matrix stuff, tastes better than MP and mixes easier for me but no doubting the value. I have used most supplements and found them all to be virtually useless! Apart from protein I take a multi-sup and various oils (flax, cod liver etc). I've kept that side of things up even though my diet has gone to pot and I'm not training at the moment. I purchase a 5l bottle of water every other day for work though again I'm not drinking as much as I did/should.

Matty, do you not find training your arms on their own too much? On a four way split I always had better results when I combined back with bi's and chest with tri's. I did try training arms on their own but had serious joint pain after a while.

Has anyone else noticed that over the last few months MyProtein standards seem to have slipped. I've used the Hurricane XS for ages and it has always been spot on in terms of content, taste and mixability. However the last two batches that I have had have been like gravel. So bad in fact that I even had to resort back to Maximuscle which is a rip off, but at least palatable.

I like to mix my training up quite a bit however for the last 6 months I have mainly been following a more traditional push/pull/legs split and to be fair it has yielded some decent gains.

Matty, do you not find training your arms on their own too much? On a four way split I always had better results when I combined back with bi's and chest with tri's. I did try training arms on their own but had serious joint pain after a while.

No not really, I've found that if I do back and biceps on the same day, I just don't get anywhere on the bicep workouts.

Doing arms together I can get a reet good pump.

No not really, I've found that if I do back and biceps on the same day, I just don't get anywhere on the bicep workouts.

Doing arms together I can get a reet good pump.

I know exactly what you mean. After doing a back workout I can barely do any biceps exercises. To counter this atm im loving a chest/bi's and shoulders/tri's split along with having seperate days for back and legs.

In terms of myprotein I stick to the staple of a 5Kilo bag of Impact Blend, a 5kg bag of instant oats with 500g of creapure and alpha men tablets every month. Excellent gains on these basic products!!

Has anyone else noticed that over the last few months MyProtein standards seem to have slipped. I've used the Hurricane XS for ages and it has always been spot on in terms of content, taste and mixability. However the last two batches that I have had have been like gravel. So bad in fact that I even had to resort back to Maximuscle which is a rip off, but at least palatable.

I like to mix my training up quite a bit however for the last 6 months I have mainly been following a more traditional push/pull/legs split and to be fair it has yielded some decent gains.

MyProtein has never been great, in the early days it was the cheapest and reasonable quality. However, I do use it but I'm - well was lol - buying Matrix Protein which tasted great (especially cookies n cream), still got an unopened 5kg tub for me to go at.

The taste doesn't bother me one bit. You just whack it down your neck and off you go.

* Actually saying that never get BCAA powder, christ it was like drinking liquid metal.

Try Xtend by a company called Scivation. Amazing product that has a great taste as well. I sip on it during my workouts to help with recovery. Seriously look it up. A definite staple to have along with whey and creatine.

• 4 weeks later...

Yea the "science" behind it is all marketing PR but it is easily the best pre-workout supp available atm.

I would strongly argue that psychosomatic effects are just as powerful as any supplement.

People need to understand that there is science and then good science. Caffeine and Creatine fine, but the claims of Beta-alanine are hilarious as Fatigue is a transient phenomenon, with more factors influencing it that 1.

Archived