BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preview (Not) Asia Trophy

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a shame we don't have an Asian player. People like Lee Chung-Yong at Bolton and obviously Park at Man U get them quite a bit of attention over there. Obviously United reap the rewards financially as they're a huge club so people in Asia love them regardless. It would be interesting to see whether Bolton have had any significant financial boost from Lee.

I doubt Bolton have made that much, have to say I liked what I saw of him last season so either way they win.

Park is a very under rated player IMO, cracking for United despite being tagged as a marketing execise by some.

No disrespect was meant to anyone!

The as long as its part of a holiday I am sure you will have a great time.

Just don't expect much from the football.

Have a great trip and I hope you guys have some new signings to cheer on. :brfcsmilie:

I never expect much from Rovers :P

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2372574,00.html

Good to see Rovers will get some exposure in Asia this summer. Something I feel we've been neglecting in the past few years is international marketing. Anyone going?

Your link provided a link to the premier league. which then mentioned a city line link for tickets. But the city line link is in chinese. Is there an english link about tickets?

Exactly, its a great place for a holiday ( July will be 3rd time i've been ).

Quite a few heading over, and a few others waiting to see whats announced in India.

Maybe you could recommend places to stay over there.

Your link provided a link to the premier league. which then mentioned a city line link for tickets. But the city line link is in chinese. Is there an english link about tickets?

Can you not read chinese?! :D

http://www.cityline.com/eng/main.html

^^ English version

We got our tickets direct from them rather than through Rovers (Rovers are only selling top priced tickets)

Was thinking of going up there for this, but, unfortunately I've got a meeting in Cairns on the 27th.

HK is a great place, though it could be a bit warm and humid at that time.

Don't get sucked into buying things like cameras etc, though.

Exactly, its a great place for a holiday ( July will be 3rd time i've been ).

Quite a few heading over, and a few others waiting to see whats announced in India.

Oops apologies for the above, should'nt eat & type.

Ste looks like your the official travel guide then. :tu:

Booked my flight, be good to leave the Aussie winter for the week.

Look forward to your pub guide Ste.

See ya in Hongkers

hi

I'm a football fans in HK and i bought the tickets of both days of the Barclays Asia Trophy last week (it was on sale on 1 June). The final ticket was already sold out and only a few on the first day left. We're expecting a fantastic atmosphere here like the one in 2007, where Liverpool visited here.

anyone will come here to support Rovers?

http://postimage.org/image/2b5pqx3dw/

http://postimage.org/image/2b62z7vc4/

hi

I'm a football fans in HK and i bought the tickets of both days of the Barclays Asia Trophy last week (it was on sale on 1 June). The final ticket was already sold out and only a few on the first day left. We're expecting a fantastic atmosphere here like the one in 2007, where Liverpool visited here.

anyone will come here to support Rovers?

http://postimage.org/image/2b5pqx3dw/

http://postimage.org/image/2b62z7vc4/

Hi Terry,

Thanks for posting! Yes Rovers fans will be travelling over the for the games. Please come and say hi to the Rovers fans that you meet in the stadium. Always nice to meet other football fans.

Cheers

BKR

rovers finally come to asia! gutted ive only got holidays up to the week before, ill be back at school teaching a summer camp when they come over.

by the way bolton get shown a lot on tv here because of lee cheong yong but dont sell merchandise because reeboks presence as a brand is not that big as nike or adidas. if koreans want a training or puffer jacket its usually nike and usually has man u or celtic on it.

as for getting recognition throughout asia just by having an 'asian' player, thats nonsense. the rest of asia couldnt give a stuff about park ji sung et al. i remember last time i was in HK i mostly met liverpool followers and they've never had an asian player.

rovers finally come to asia! gutted ive only got holidays up to the week before, ill be back at school teaching a summer camp when they come over.

by the way bolton get shown a lot on tv here because of lee cheong yong but dont sell merchandise because reeboks presence as a brand is not that big as nike or adidas. if koreans want a training or puffer jacket its usually nike and usually has man u or celtic on it.

as for getting recognition throughout asia just by having an 'asian' player, thats nonsense. the rest of asia couldnt give a stuff about park ji sung et al. i remember last time i was in HK i mostly met liverpool followers and they've never had an asian player.

That might be the situation in Korea, but it certainly isn't the case in China. My Chinese ex-girlfriend's mother could name four footballers: Beckham, Kaka, Rooney and Park. Park was the second one she mentioned, behind Beckham. The Chinese, especially taxi drivers, love football but are quite despondent about their nation's own prospects due to rife corruption in the Chinese national league and an interesting and oft-repeated suggestion that Chinese people simply don't have the necessary physical attributes and strengths to play football. People like Park and Honda are known by all football lovers in China and attract a lot of attention. Like in England, football fans in China tend to be rougher than the average Joe and rather than a simple national footballing rivalry, like England's with France, Germany or Scotland, the Chinese viscerally despise the Japanese and South Korean teams and use games against either as another excuse to demonstrate their fervent and unnerving nationalism. However, when following football leagues abroad, they look out for and are more inclined to support those teams with Asian players out of some weird form of Oriental pride that people built much like they are can do well in leagues dominated by white and black people. I remember a large number of Charlton followers a few years ago when some Chinese guy whose name I can't remember moved there. Buying a successful Chinese player would have huge amounts of marketing value. This can be shown by the example of the second major sport in China: basketball; and the national adoration of the Houston Rockets simply because Yao Ming plays for them. If you go to any basketball court in China, you'll see 15 or so Chinese youth, half of whom will be wearing Houston Rockets vests. Granted most of these vests will be fake, but a fair number of which will be official merchandise. The growing middle class in China is now estimated to be around 1/4 billion people. That's a fair potential of shirt sales.

In saying this, I'm not advocating that Rovers try to buy a Chinese player. As I said before, the player would have to be pretty sick to have this effect and right now the entire national team is about English League 2 standard.

That might be the situation in Korea, but it certainly isn't the case in China. My Chinese ex-girlfriend's mother could name four footballers: Beckham, Kaka, Rooney and Park. Park was the second one she mentioned, behind Beckham. The Chinese, especially taxi drivers, love football but are quite despondent about their nation's own prospects due to rife corruption in the Chinese national league and an interesting and oft-repeated suggestion that Chinese people simply don't have the necessary physical attributes and strengths to play football. People like Park and Honda are known by all football lovers in China and attract a lot of attention. Like in England, football fans in China tend to be rougher than the average Joe and rather than a simple national footballing rivalry, like England's with France, Germany or Scotland, the Chinese viscerally despise the Japanese and South Korean teams and use games against either as another excuse to demonstrate their fervent and unnerving nationalism. However, when following football leagues abroad, they look out for and are more inclined to support those teams with Asian players out of some weird form of Oriental pride that people built much like they are can do well in leagues dominated by white and black people. I remember a large number of Charlton followers a few years ago when some Chinese guy whose name I can't remember moved there. Buying a successful Chinese player would have huge amounts of marketing value. This can be shown by the example of the second major sport in China: basketball; and the national adoration of the Houston Rockets simply because Yao Ming plays for them. If you go to any basketball court in China, you'll see 15 or so Chinese youth, half of whom will be wearing Houston Rockets vests. Granted most of these vests will be fake, but a fair number of which will be official merchandise. The growing middle class in China is now estimated to be around 1/4 billion people. That's a fair potential of shirt sales.

In saying this, I'm not advocating that Rovers try to buy a Chinese player. As I said before, the player would have to be pretty sick to have this effect and right now the entire national team is about English League 2 standard.

Interesting stuff. You'd have to say the first premier league side to sign a Chinese prospect (with that many people it's not gonna be long on pure statistics) will make a big impact over there. The Chinese Market is like no other. India is definitely similar in size but they are a cricketing nation. The fervent nationalism in China along with it's population makes the UK Market seem like a drop in the ocean in comparison.

Interesting stuff. You'd have to say the first premier league side to sign a Chinese prospect (with that many people it's not gonna be long on pure statistics) will make a big impact over there. The Chinese Market is like no other. India is definitely similar in size but they are a cricketing nation. The fervent nationalism in China along with it's population makes the UK Market seem like a drop in the ocean in comparison.

Li Tie at Everton and Sheff United. He didn't make much of an impact on the team, but he did bring some short term sponsorship with him. Interesting stuff Inter. But I'm just not sure whether much long term income can be made just by signing a player - the team has to be successful. If an established power such as Liverpool took Lee Cheong Yong off Bolton, they would benefit from interest immediately. Bolton however, have to win a major trophy before they get any dough.

Archived