BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] iPhone 4 vs Galaxy S II

Surely its better to wait for Ice Cream Sandwich to come out and then the hardware refresh after that?

Of course!! .......and then there will be the bolognese wrap to follow. I'm an iPhone user 'cos all this Android stuff is utterly incomprehensible to me. Quite genuinely.

I do hope you're taking the Michael with that Ice Cream Sandwich remark. Best I've heard in a long time.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course!! .......and then there will be the bolognese wrap to follow. I'm an iPhone user 'cos all this Android stuff is utterly incomprehensible to me. Quite genuinely.

I do hope you're taking the Michael with that Ice Cream Sandwich remark. Best I've heard in a long time.

Ice Cream Sandwich is basically version 4 of Android. It will be used on both the Android tablets and all the Android phones. Where as currently there are multiple versions of android. I completely understand that all the different versions of Android can be confusing but as for Android being confusing to use or anything else I can't agree with.

Ice Cream Sandwich: everything you need to know

Another plus with Android over Apple, is the ability to use it as USB mass storage device. The advantage is sending bluetooth files to any device, where I'm not sure if iPhone 4 or 4s can do that. Its been a big issue for ages. The camera, while yes the iPhone now sports an 8mp camera, and too be honest this is just Apple lazily catching up to other phones who have 8mp cameras. In fact I think it was the Samsung Innov8 or some other phone that had a 12mp camera.

I have basically the best of all 3 worlds ie Blackberry, Android and my 4th Gen ipod touch. Blackberry has been great for business purposes, and my iPod for music and Android for the ability to use a lot more 3rd party applications without having to jailbreak the device

Iceman I'm sure everything you and others say about Android is true. However if I'm asked to hang around for the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade no one can really blame me for being touch sceptical. It is all extremely confusing.

I'm not into camera quality etc etc. All I want to know is does it take a decent image? The one downside for me to the iPhone is it won't open Word or Excel documents for obvious reasons. Plus along with all smart phones battery life is poor. I'd love a version which shut down everything and gave really good battery life when using GPS.

The other aspect is the Apple brand. I'm not an Apple lovie but I do view it as a quality brand in the communication and computing world. Panasonic, Sony are examples of quality brands in the entertainment electronics market, Samsung and Sharp would be examples of second division producers. Nokia used to be a great phone company but has lost it's way. Now when I want a quality TV I buy Sony or Panasonic, when I want a good smart phone I buy Apple. IF there was an Android Nokia I'd look very hard at it. My son has a Samsung Galaxy and to me it looks like a me too product made to a price level. That isn't how I make choices when I buy products.

It's all a bit predictable really. Apple announce new phone/iPod/tablet .... anti-Apple brigade snort with derision "it's not as fast/big/cheap etc as my Gingerbread/Ice Cream/Cream Cake powered device" .... make rash predictions about Apple's market share plummeting .... Apple opens up even bigger market share .... competitors make faster/bigger/cheaper phone and desperately try to further polish the turd that is Android .... Apple sit back and smile smugly as their market share STILL increases because they realise that people value intuitiveness, user-friendliness, design and quality over nerdy specs (iPhone 3GS still selling well despite being 2+ years old) .... repeat every 12 months .... ;)

Guess the proof of the pudding will be in the sales figures. If the S2 is that much better still let's watch it bury the 4S.

Ice Cream Sandwich is basically version 4 of Android. It will be used on both the Android tablets and all the Android phones. Where as currently there are multiple versions of android. I completely understand that all the different versions of Android can be confusing but as for Android being confusing to use or anything else I can't agree with.

Ice Cream Sandwich: everything you need to know

Google's Mike Claren said, "we want one OS that runs everywhere."

So like IOS then? ;)

It's all a bit predictable really. Apple announce new phone/iPod/tablet .... anti-Apple brigade snort with derision "it's not as fast/big/cheap etc as my Gingerbread/Ice Cream/Cream Cake powered device" .... make rash predictions about Apple's market share plummeting .... Apple opens up even bigger market share .... competitors make faster/bigger/cheaper phone and desperately try to further polish the turd that is Android .... Apple sit back and smile smugly as their market share STILL increases because they realise that people value intuitiveness, user-friendliness, design and quality over nerdy specs (iPhone 3GS still selling well despite being 2+ years old) .... repeat every 12 months .... ;)

Guess the proof of the pudding will be in the sales figures. If the S2 is that much better still let's watch it bury the 4S.

It's posts like yours that get the android community to come out and post to counter act the nonsense spouted from iPhone zealots.

You do realise that Android has a far bigger market share than iOS? Has done for over a year. Apples market is stagnating as people realise there are better, cheaper alternatives out there.

Iceman I'm sure everything you and others say about Android is true. However if I'm asked to hang around for the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade no one can really blame me for being touch sceptical. It is all extremely confusing.

I'm not into camera quality etc etc. All I want to know is does it take a decent image? The one downside for me to the iPhone is it won't open Word or Excel documents for obvious reasons. Plus along with all smart phones battery life is poor. I'd love a version which shut down everything and gave really good battery life when using GPS.

The other aspect is the Apple brand. I'm not an Apple lovie but I do view it as a quality brand in the communication and computing world. Panasonic, Sony are examples of quality brands in the entertainment electronics market, Samsung and Sharp would be examples of second division producers. Nokia used to be a great phone company but has lost it's way. Now when I want a quality TV I buy Sony or Panasonic, when I want a good smart phone I buy Apple. IF there was an Android Nokia I'd look very hard at it. My son has a Samsung Galaxy and to me it looks like a me too product made to a price level. That isn't how I make choices when I buy products.

Completely understand your point of view Paul, but the general feeling amongst many is that Apple is the be all and end all of the smart phone world. Like I said, Apple is great at being consistent in their features and the OS. There is nothing to confuse somebody like say Android with its various OS names. Fact is, that for the more high end Android handsets running, the OS will have to be upgraded, because a lesser OS will not be able to handle or make use of what is inside. I know this is exactly why you stick to iPhone. It does get complicated, but read one post down from your post, and you will understand why the Android community starts to hate on iPhone.

I have an iPod Touch 4G, and I'm loving it, because I'm using it basically as a phone using skype, so its really an undercover iPhone ;)

It's posts like yours that get the android community to come out and post to counter act the nonsense spouted from iPhone zealots.

You do realise that Android has a far bigger market share than iOS? Has done for over a year. Apples market is stagnating as people realise there are better, cheaper alternatives out there.

OK, so I'm being a bit naughty - but people's responses just go to prove that the Apple-haters are even worse than the 'zealots' as you put it.

And as for your second paragraph - really? (Hope these work! ;) )

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/iphone5apple2011liveblogkeynote1233.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/iphone5apple2011liveblogkeynote1206.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/iphone5apple2011liveblogkeynote1209.jpg

There are cheaper, better specced alternatives no doubt - but if they were better why is the iPhone so dominant?

One simple fact why I much prefer my SG2 - it makes calls! The 3GS was hopeless as a phone, it dropped calls at home and my office and I had to go outside to send an MMS. I've not had a hint of dropping calls on the Samsung (yes, same network) and it even works on the shop floor with all the machinery going.

I was an iPhone lover but I'm really taken with the Samsung and Android.

OK, so I'm being a bit naughty - but people's responses just go to prove that the Apple-haters are even worse than the 'zealots' as you put it.

http://www.blogcdn.c...keynote1233.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.c...keynote1206.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.c...keynote1209.jpg

There are cheaper, better specced alternatives no doubt - but if they were better why is the iPhone so dominant?

I have honestly no idea where Apple dream their figures up from but I would personally go with independent research:-

Nielsen Figures

Quote " According to figures released by Nielsen Thursday, Android is the operating system used by 39% of smartphones in the United States, followed by Apple's iOS at 28%"

UK Figures Kantar Media and More figures

Quote "The research , conducted by Kantar Worldpanel Comtech, found Google had a massive 48.3% share with its Android operating system. The second highest smartphone operating system was Blackberry with 21.2% followed closely by Apple iOS with 20.8%."

Worldwide figures Canalys

More worldwide from Gartner here

There were better graphs charting the previous 5 years and worldwide market levels in either this months or last monts PC pro but I can't find that online. Showed Apple kind of stagnating but with a massive share but Android have romped through mainly pinching Symbian and Windows market share.

Getting bored now, but you get the gist. Just don't believe everything Apple tells / sells you.

One simple fact why I much prefer my SG2 - it makes calls! The 3GS was hopeless as a phone, it dropped calls at home and my office and I had to go outside to send an MMS. I've not had a hint of dropping calls on the Samsung (yes, same network) and it even works on the shop floor with all the machinery going.

I was an iPhone lover but I'm really taken with the Samsung and Android.

Funnily enough I had an old HTC Windows 6.5 phone on o2 and changed to HTC Desire 18 months ago. I went from full signal and full 3g data to dropping signal and GPRS only on the Android. Luckily a software update sorted it out but it was about to go in the bin.

I have honestly no idea where Apple dream their figures up from but I would personally go with independent research:-

Nielsen Figures

Quote " According to figures released by Nielsen Thursday, Android is the operating system used by 39% of smartphones in the United States, followed by Apple's iOS at 28%"

UK Figures Kantar Media and More figures

Quote "The research , conducted by Kantar Worldpanel Comtech, found Google had a massive 48.3% share with its Android operating system. The second highest smartphone operating system was Blackberry with 21.2% followed closely by Apple iOS with 20.8%."

Worldwide figures Canalys

More worldwide from Gartner here

There were better graphs charting the previous 5 years and worldwide market levels in either this months or last monts PC pro but I can't find that online. Showed Apple kind of stagnating but with a massive share but Android have romped through mainly pinching Symbian and Windows market share.

Getting bored now, but you get the gist. Just don't believe everything Apple tells / sells you.

Funnily enough I had an old HTC Windows 6.5 phone on o2 and changed to HTC Desire 18 months ago. I went from full signal and full 3g data to dropping signal and GPRS only on the Android. Luckily a software update sorted it out but it was about to go in the bin.

Apple's figures were from Comscore I think and were comparing IOS use across all platforms (not just phones) - and seeing as the iPad has 75% of the market, and the iPod must be pretty much 100% then it's obviously and clearly going to be the most popular mobile device OS.

Considering that in the smartphone arena only the iPhone uses IOS, is priced at (and is) a premium product, and there are around 80 (in the US at least) different Android handsets - many of them very aggressively priced - Apple's market share is nothing short of remarkable.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/iphone5apple2011liveblogkeynote1233.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/iphone5apple2011liveblogkeynote1206.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/iphone5apple2011liveblogkeynote1209.jpg

well they clearly feel the need to let everybody know, that they still ahead of the chasing pack. The reason being, that Android's OS if you look at it is still fairly new albeit that many devices are now running the OS. Apple's market share has clearly got to do, with the fact that there have hardly been competition to them until now.

It was somewhat of a monopoly with them, where they could dictate the market and not worry about Nokia's Symbian and Samsung's Touch Whizz platforms, or any of the windows handsets. To put it into perspective, the rapid growth of Android has already had an impact on Apple with the release of a better camera, better processor design etc. These were non existent before, and didn’t seem to bother people, because they were rightfully buying a quality product with nothing else to rival it.

Just from an article I pulled randomly. I know the date is old, but still

Google's Android surpassed Research in Motion's BlackBerry to become the largest mobile platform at the start of 2011, while Apple's iOS and iPhone took third before the Verizon iPhone 4 was released.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/07/android_tops_rim_in_us_smartphone_market_share_apples_iphone_third.html

Apple's figures were from Comscore I think and were comparing IOS use across all platforms (not just phones) - and seeing as the iPad has 75% of the market, and the iPod must be pretty much 100% then it's obviously and clearly going to be the most popular mobile device OS.

Considering that in the smartphone arena only the iPhone uses IOS, is priced at (and is) a premium product, and there are around 80 (in the US at least) different Android handsets - many of them very aggressively priced - Apple's market share is nothing short of remarkable.

So skewing the results by slapping together 2 different markets. Well I never.

hahaha, agree. how is it, that Apple mentions ipods and ipads to up their iOS market share? Yet, its been a case of iPhone only, vs the rest. Nobody ever mentions ipods and ipads in a debate over iphone vs the rest. It’s still a stupid argument anyway, as people have jumped from Apple to other manufactureres and vice versa. It still remains a case of personal choice ( like what Paul has done), and what you prefer the phone to be able to do for you feature wise.

Actually no. To be fair, that part of the presentation was purely relating to the OS, which is the clear market leader when all platforms are considered.

If related to just phones, and given that handset wise Android has an 80-to-1 advantage, you would expect it to be to totally decimating IOS. The fact that is only has on average a 10-15% advantage is a little poor?

As for tablets, the domination if the iPad is pretty much total. And remember all the Apple haters at the time saying it was stupid, would never sell and that Apple had scored a huge own goal? The likes of Samsung, RIM etc didn't even get chance to eat their humble pie because they were quickly and desperately scrabbling round to come up with their own tablet (incidentally I think Amazon just killed off everything but the iPad with their Kindle Fire - that will clean up the lower end of the market, while the iPad will continue to dominate the upper echelons. Shame there's no detail of when the UK will be getting it though!)

Anyway, there's little point arguing with the anti-Apple brigade .... haters gonna hate. I've had Android devices, and just found for me the OS to be clunky, plus the app store is always playing catch-up.

Perhaps newer versions will close the gap on IOS, and I'll keep looking but for now, for me, IOS is simply the best way to use a phone, hands down.

Actually no. To be fair, that part of the presentation was purely relating to the OS, which is the clear market leader when all platforms are considered.

Actually, no. To be fair you gave no context around what those slides were portraying. You were just trying to use the Apple paid for propaganda against what I had said in an earlier post.

So, using the argument that iOS is a market leader because we slap together 3 different markets (I'd missed it mentioned ipods previously) then surely we can say "Windows" actually beats everything hands down? It is installed on more PC's than anything else, appears in tablets, phones, Point of Sale devices and the list goes on. The argument that they are different versions doesn't hold up as "iOS" is taking into account iOS 1-4 (soon 5) as remember older devices could not be upgraded.

I think you'll agree, its all nonsense, especially when this is thread about 2 PHONES, not tablets or mp3 players.

If related to just phones, and given that handset wise Android has an 80-to-1 advantage

eh?

As for tablets

agree, Apple did produce an amazing bit of kit that has created a very profitable market. Still wouldn't pay the price they are asking for it but I don't mock the people that do. The high end Android equivalents are all pointless as they cost as much as the ipad. That is just stupid, you might as well get the ipad.

Anyway, there's little point arguing with the anti-Apple brigade .... haters gonna hate. I've had Android devices, and just found for me the OS to be clunky, plus the app store is always playing catch-up.

Apart from the anti-apple brigade bit, thats about the most sensible thing you've posted. You personally don't like Android after trying it. That's fine, at least you've tried it before knocking it. There's no need to quote false facts and big up apple corp's media machine just because you don't like the competition. I've personally never said anything bad about Apple's products or iOS. They are excellent pieces of kit, just too costly for a pretty apple logo on it.

Anyway, has anyone tried a Windows 7 phone? I'm wondering if the 7.5 (Mango - lol more companies using food fro code names!) version is any good. I've only seen pictures of the home screen and that just looks ugly. However I'm interested in trying something new. - Urrgh, then again if the HTC Titan is the best there is to offer, I'll think again.

This phone shows perfectly why people are not impressed with the new iPhone 4S hardware.

HTC Amaze, 4.1inch screen Dual core 1.5ghz processor with 1gb ram. 1850mah battery capable of something ridiculous like 25 days of standby and 9-10 hours of talk time. All this with 4g built in.

Hands-on with HTC's Amaze 4G

Actually, no. To be fair you gave no context around what those slides were portraying. You were just trying to use the Apple paid for propaganda against what I had said in an earlier post.

You said in your original post "You do realise that Android has a far bigger market share than iOS?". True for phones, not true for mobile devices as a whole. Perhaps you should have been more specific, and perhaps I should have been clearer.

So, using the argument that iOS is a market leader because we slap together 3 different markets (I'd missed it mentioned ipods previously) then surely we can say "Windows" actually beats everything hands down? It is installed on more PC's than anything else, appears in tablets, phones, Point of Sale devices and the list goes on. The argument that they are different versions doesn't hold up as "iOS" is taking into account iOS 1-4 (soon 5) as remember older devices could not be upgraded.

Mobile devices is the market segment. Perhaps Apple invented that so they could claim to be market leader - I don't know - but market leaders they are.

I think you'll agree, its all nonsense, especially when this is thread about 2 PHONES, not tablets or mp3 players.

Fair enough, it's wandered slightly off topic!

eh?

80 Android smartphone models available to 2 iPhones (3GS & 4) - just to clarify.

Anyway, I really think the 4S launch was a stopgap, more of a price positioning exercise to try and cement Apple's position lower down the market and attract first time buyers. The 3GS still sells amazingly well for an old phone, the 4 will be be available at a reduced price, and the 4S is timed to pick off those just finishing their 2 year 3GS contracts. The 5 will probably be along in 12 months - I expect that will once again reset the bar for everyone else.

Anyway, has anyone tried a Windows 7 phone? I'm wondering if the 7.5 (Mango - lol more companies using food fro code names!) version is any good. I've only seen pictures of the home screen and that just looks ugly. However I'm interested in trying something new. - Urrgh, then again if the HTC Titan is the best there is to offer, I'll think again.

No, tried an older windows phone a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed at all. Think Nokia are pinning their hopes on it and they REALLY need it to be good as they're disappearing fast.

With that line of thinking you can argue that the song at number 1 in the charts is the best song around, or that a film topping box office takings is the best film, or that McDonald's is amongst the best restaurant food you can buy. All nonsense of course. Most people will buy what has been made appealing by advertising.

I'm not sure why you've gone on an Apple marketing binge. People who like purchasing things from other companies don't go round quoting their sales figures and market share percentage - nobody cares. If there are groups of people that hate Apple then it's entirely understandable, their customers make it very easy to do so...

You said in your original post "You do realise that Android has a far bigger market share than iOS?". True for phones, not true for mobile devices as a whole. Perhaps you should have been more specific, and perhaps I should have been clearer.

Mobile devices is the market segment. Perhaps Apple invented that so they could claim to be market leader - I don't know - but market leaders they are.

Fair enough, it's wandered slightly off topic!

As I stated before, this is a thread about 2 MOBILE PHONES. Therefore it is safe to assume we were discussing phones. Therefore it is you that drifted off topic to try and justify that iOS was a world conqueror.

With that line of thinking you can argue that the song at number 1 in the charts is the best song around, or that a film topping box office takings is the best film, or that McDonald's is amongst the best restaurant food you can buy. All nonsense of course. Most people will buy what has been made appealing by advertising.

I'm not sure why you've gone on an Apple marketing binge. People who like purchasing things from other companies don't go round quoting their sales figures and market share percentage - nobody cares. If there are groups of people that hate Apple then it's entirely understandable, their customers make it very easy to do so...

You've obviously (1) just looked at one line and jumped on it out of context, and (2) you don't (refuse?) to own an Apple product? ;) Your last line makes you sound a bit bitter to be honest Le Chuck.

Believe me, I don't give a monkey's red jacket about sales figures but was responding to Biddy's statement. Plus debating this beats the Kean ranting and raving on the football side of things these days ....

As I stated before, this is a thread about 2 MOBILE PHONES. Therefore it is safe to assume we were discussing phones. Therefore it is you that drifted off topic to try and justify that iOS was a world conqueror.

It was a thread about two mobile phones, which wandered slightly to encompass a wider subject. It happens. iOS isn't a world conqueror - yet. ;)

Archived