BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] iPhone 4 vs Galaxy S II

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly the Iphone 4 will get the IOS5 updated

Secondly 4g hasnt been fully allocated to mobile operators so will be at least a year or two till you will see it on the market.

Dont just look at what it can do actually also look at its size because the galazy is bigger by at least 10mm in both width and height and the galazy is thinner than the Iphone 4 by at least 1 to 2mm.

The iPhone is no match for the SGS II. I dont have the SGS II, but im using the HTC Flyer. Android is great, but i dont want to start this whole Android vs iOS debate ;)

At the risk of starting that debate ;), I trialled an HTC phone running Android last year as a potential change from my iPhone 3G. Not a patch on iOS in terms of user-friendliness, but probably offers more scope for customisation. Needless to say I got rid of the HTC after about 2 weeks and went back to the iPhone.

Am due an upgrade myself, getting an iPhone 4. Still the best out there IMO, but it all depends on whether you value cutting edge hardware over user-friendly software.

EDIT: there's a direct comparison if you scroll down this review .... http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s2-review-50002442/

As a long term iPhone user I'm about to change to the iPhone 4 (currently 3GS) but I've got to say the Galaxy S II has turned my head. Has anyone moved from iPhone to Android phones, possibly the Galaxy?

If you want easy phone calls, text messages, e-mail, web surfing, camera, video, YouTube, ipod, GPS, synched calendar, contacts then stick with the iPhone. Personally I would stay with the 3GS which I feel is a classic design and is very, very tactile and enjoyable to handle. I've been eligible for an iPhone 4 for about six months but don't like the physical "feel" of the phone. I realise I'm missing out on a few features. I would wait till the iPhone 5 arrives before deciding

If you want to do the stuff Biddy mentions below - which I don't even understand or know what he's talking about - then you had best get an Android of some sort or other.

Not adding much to the debate but the Galaxy S2 can play 720p mkv video files natively which I was most impressed with. No need to covert at all.

Not trying to pick on Biddy but it's this sort of apparently geeky stuff which makes me steer totally away from andoid phones as I'm always worried I'll have to constantly update, upgrade, hack this, jailbreak that, migrate something or other to an SD card, reboot the motherboard, retint the glass and orbit Mars etc. etc just to switch it on. Androids seem to be either amazingly complex or amazingly adapatable depending on your perspective.

The iPhone simply WORKS, all the time, end of discussion for me.....I have never heard an Android user say the simple thing - great phone, it works!!! :lol:

Nothing (overly) geeky or hacky about my post Paul. Meerly pointing out that the Galaxy S2 will play the most used video format out of the box whereas you have to convert pretty much everything for the iphone to play (unless someone's already done it for you). I think this actually makes the Galaxy easier and more user friendly.

And on the argument for ease of use and iphone type apps, Android now has Tweetdeck, Tapatalk, iplayer, ESPN goals and many many other apps identical to the iphone variants that are as well presented and as easy to use. The built in browser works as well as iphone (and flash works!) and you can easily replace the text messaging with one that looks exactly like the iphone (handcent).

The only thing that still grates me about Android is the music player. Someone must be able to rip off Apple better somewhere.

So apart from the Music Player part, there is nothing I can see that makes Android any less user friendly than the iphone when talking about the Galaxy S2 (can't necessarily say the same for other Android phones as they can be slower or have annoying operator rubbish thrown in or still be on older versions of Android)

I do like the 3GS, it's very easy to use and is very well made. The Galaxy isn't anything like as well made (or doesn't feel it anyway) but it is packed with features.

I don't think we'll get the iPhone 5 on our account as we need quite a few and we're pushing it getting the iPhone 4.

Nothing (overly) geeky or hacky about my post Paul. Meerly pointing out that the Galaxy S2 will play the most used video format out of the box whereas you have to convert pretty much everything for the iphone to play (unless someone's already done it for you). I think this actually makes the Galaxy easier and more user friendly.

I wasn't trying to be critical but I think you've actually proved my point. I have no idea what is the most commonly used video format, though I do now!! For me 720p mkv, and I suspect a large proportion of the population, is just something fairly meaningless. The fact these files can be played "natively" - in the wild perhaps? - or did you really mean it's automatic?

I really am not trying to criticise but the language people with a more technical background chose to use about a simple thing - it plays standard video automatically - makes the whole thing appear vastly complex and is for many very off putting.

Where companies such as Apple and Microsoft score so highly, of course they are widely criticised by the more technically minded, is making technology available and usable to the man in the street. Telling most people it plays "720p mkv video natively" does not make it simple and is why for me any form of android phone is off the list. Just do it... as the nice people at Nike say!!

:);)

Had my Galaxy since Friday, can't compare to others as it is my first smart phone.

Scared me to death when I started playing with it. :lol:

A few days later love it, never call anybody to busy playing with all the apps and making videos.

Got all my Itunes moved onto the phone today with Auto mount App drag and drop. next is the wifi version.

Her indoors not happy it's either the laptop or the phone, Can't wait to hit Thailand next month the 8 meg camera. Should be interesting on the beach. :blush:

720p as in the HD video resolution Paul, like your tv. Mkv is the file type that most downloaded HD content is in.

Biddy's point was that you can't play standard HD video content on your iphone without first converting it into another format. To paraphrase you, with this particular android phone "it just works!"

;-)

Iphone 4 is the best phone on the market.

Galaxy S2 is a 'brick' in comparison.

The software is simple to use and very user friendly, Android is more for the 'geeks' and nothing about the software makes me want to use it, I have tried Galaxy S, Galaxy S2 and Ericsson Arc for several months at a time, had to go back to my iphone 4, on top of all that the build quality on a Iphone 4 is amazing compared to ANY smartphone. All my opinion before I am slated!

Iphone 4 is the best phone on the market.

Galaxy S2 is a 'brick' in comparison.

The software is simple to use and very user friendly, Android is more for the 'geeks' and nothing about the software makes me want to use it, I have tried Galaxy S, Galaxy S2 and Ericsson Arc for several months at a time, had to go back to my iphone 4, on top of all that the build quality on a Iphone 4 is amazing compared to ANY smartphone. All my opinion before I am slated!

there is always something lacking with the iPhone. if its not Bluetooth issues, then its the poor camera or something else. fact is, iPhone users who have never used another phone or OS, will claim its the best phone. Steve Jobs and the rest at Apple, basically have it easy, because there is not much change to the iPhone except for a few tweeks in design and software.

I will now contradict myself, but the nice thing about iPhone is just what I said above. there is nothing that will make you think "why didn't I wait?" its 1 iPhone and that's it, apart from an upgrade in the OS and maybe a change in design.

on the other hand, if you go with Android, its got more to do with the manufacturer than the actual OS. HTC has the sense UI, Samsung has touch whiz etc. In all fairness, android is just the system behind the phone, but the actual design and hardware is from the manufacturer.

the decision lies in, do you want HTC for sense or Samsung for touch whiz. there are now other factors to consider as well, like dual core processors, type of displays, camera etc.

the actual hardware, these days have become more of a factor than the actual OS.

Which do you recommend Iceman?

Depends what you want out of it Koi . Like I said, its got to a point, where its more than just the OS. Like Paul said, the iPhone has great functionality and works very well. But in all honesty no phone just works well out of the box.

I'm using Blackberry and HTC, one for its push and pull email capability, the other for multimedia.

If you want a more flexible phone, then something with Android as the OS, and if you want a more mature phone with a mature OS, then go for iPhone. Remember, that iPhone and iOS has been at it year on year, with minimal but effective changes

Android has been for a long time in the development stages, and because they have various manufacturers using it, its very difficult to judge just what Android is capable of.

Personally, and being biased towards Android, I would say go for a device running Android, only because in time, it will out muscle iOS

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using Tapatalk

720p as in the HD video resolution Paul, like your tv. Mkv is the file type that most downloaded HD content is in.

Biddy's point was that you can't play standard HD video content on your iphone without first converting it into another format. To paraphrase you, with this particular android phone "it just works!"

From a technical view I can't discuss this other than my TV is 1080p or pi I can't remember which. I just tested the iPhone on the BBC website. I can watch any TV programme I wish on iPlayer including live TV. I wasn't able to watch video clips on the news page - never tried before and presume this is what is being discussed. This is the first time I've not been able to watch a piece of video on the iPhone so I'm not sure what if anything I've missed. The message I get effectively tells me Flashplayer and Apple can't agree how to talk to each other as companies!!

The posts above this one further exemplify for me why iPhone us the superior product. It does everything it says it will but with android one has to chose a manufacturer to suit the purpose. If one doesnt comprehend what is being discussed it becomes impossible to make an informed decision. Therefore get an iPhone because it works all the time

;-)

Flash vids can be played - you simply download skyfire web browser instead of the standard one.

The iPhone does everything you would want from a phone, HD vids, camera, texts, emails, thousands of apps (ranging from wacky & wierd to very useful and things that save you lots of cash), phone calls, video calls....etc

The iPhone 5 will have lots of new features such as iCloud, IOS5, new chips to run much faster, 3 antennas (sp) to allow for global usage, wireless syncing and also rumours of wireless charging (not sure how?!).

As an iPhone user, the phone does everything I feel I would need from a phone, and therefore see no need to change at all.

See I hate discussions like this.

Either phone is as good as the other in all reality. Android does have a simple to use interface so I have no idea where the fallacy that iphone is "so much simpler" has come from. It seems to come from Apple zealots who "try" android and run back as its too scary.

The only area that is a concern with Android is the fact there is choice of manufacturers and hardware options. Amazingly, this offers competition and different price points where ANYONE can afford a smartphone. Or would we all like to stay with the monopoly that is Apple.

For high-end smartphone which both the Galaxy S2 and iphone 4 are, they are as good as each other. Both have positives, both have negatives. You pays your money and you make your choice. Really, its about the individuals idea of what "looks nice" as to which phone to get. Technically they are both amazing phones.

I wasn't trying to be critical but I think you've actually proved my point. I have no idea what is the most commonly used video format, though I do now!! For me 720p mkv, and I suspect a large proportion of the population, is just something fairly meaningless. The fact these files can be played "natively" - in the wild perhaps? - or did you really mean it's automatic?

I really am not trying to criticise but the language people with a more technical background chose to use about a simple thing - it plays standard video automatically - makes the whole thing appear vastly complex and is for many very off putting.

Where companies such as Apple and Microsoft score so highly, of course they are widely criticised by the more technically minded, is making technology available and usable to the man in the street. Telling most people it plays "720p mkv video natively" does not make it simple and is why for me any form of android phone is off the list. Just do it... as the nice people at Nike say!!

:);)

Come on Paul, you're more technically savvy than that! and you prove you own point by knowing that your HD TV does 1080p so you weren't too lost at 720p were you.

And I could have quite easily gone into "having to convert video to MP4 for the iphone" but that would have suddenly made the iphone too geeky and technical so we can't have that.

Come on Paul, you're more technically savvy than that! and you prove you own point by knowing that your HD TV does 1080p so you weren't too lost at 720p were you.

And I could have quite easily gone into "having to convert video to MP4 for the iphone" but that would have suddenly made the iphone too geeky and technical so we can't have that.

Maybe, I don't know.

My technical knowledge is based on believing something is possible and then finding out how to do it!! I can honestly say all I know about my TV is when I bought it I spent a lot of time researching HD TV and made an informed decision to ensure I bought the best available and it was relatively future proof. I discovered there are two types of HD, amongst other stuff, but only one is true HD, so I purchased that. I can honestly say I didn't know what your 720p meant - I didn't relate it to my TV.

I do this stuff on a need to know basis. For instance years ago I "invented" some really whizz bang software for work. I had the idea and found a guy to turn the idea into reality and it still works today. Earlier this morning I took the trouble to read a review of the Galaxy and I truely didn't understand 50% of it. I knew the basics and could tell when, for example, the screen resolution was being discussed but other than the reviewer thought it a good screen I was lost.

IMV there is an important point in this for manufacturers. I have an Asus EEE pc, bought when it first came out to do a specific task - another whizz bang idea in fact. We use it once a week to do one task. When I first got it I played around a bit, it runs on Linux which I understand to be very good, I thought this is a fantastic bit of kit, I really like it. Problem is I don't have time to understand how to make Linux work or run stuff so it never happened. Now I understand Asus used Linux to make the product as cheap as possible, fair enough. The end result though is I have a great bit of kit, used once a week instead of daily, to do one thing and when I get a new one it will run Windows. If Asus used Windows in the first place they might have got me for life. False economy.

Technological companies need to remember most of us just need to switch on, upgrade the OS from time to time and get on with life. This is the point I try to make, I don't think my iPhone is better than everyone else's phone, it just doesn't give me any hassle at any level.

For high-end smartphone which both the Galaxy S2 and iphone 4 are, they are as good as each other. Both have positives, both have negatives.

What negatives does the Galaxy have? Nobody ever seems to point them out??

As for converting vids - Isnt MP4 the normal for videos? (Thats the standard option I get everytime I want a vid off youtube) Unless your talking about full length films, which surely nobody actually watches on their phone??

What negatives does the Galaxy have? Nobody ever seems to point them out??

As for converting vids - Isnt MP4 the normal for videos? (Thats the standard option I get everytime I want a vid off youtube) Unless your talking about full length films, which surely nobody actually watches on their phone??

The main "annoyances" I've read about the Galaxy is that is can feel a little cheap, especially when you take the battery cover off to find its a really thin piece of plastic. Also just read that the on screen keyboard and text correction is not always great and HTC phones beat it. Apart from that, everything is subjective. Some people will undoubtedly find fault where others don't. Same with the Iphone. All personal preference and both phones are fully capable.

MP4 probably is the norm for youtube but I would just use the app or the browser to see those so don't download them. And yes, people do watch films or tv episodes on phones. The screen size of the Galaxy S2 is amazing and the fact you can watch an HD tv episode without having to re-encode is pretty good if you just want to throw it on and watch. My 1.5 hour journeys into central london used to be filled with watching programmes on my old Windows 5 phone (Orange SPV C500) which had a tiny screen but was adequate to pass boring time. Of course that phone would still last 3 days even watching video whereas the current crop would probably last just the journey before needed a charge!

Archived