BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] iPhone 4 vs Galaxy S II

Got an HTC Desire S for the wife... seemed like a fair swap!!!

Are you on all week? do you recommend the chicken in a basket?

Seriously, just spoke to 02, they're saying we will be eligible for the iPhone 5 when it's released (end of next month they think) and recommend we hang fire and see what that's like.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What negatives does the Galaxy have? Nobody ever seems to point them out??

As for converting vids - Isnt MP4 the normal for videos? (Thats the standard option I get everytime I want a vid off youtube) Unless your talking about full length films, which surely nobody actually watches on their phone??

c'mon Hughesy, of course the galaxy will have some negative aspects to it. If not, then it’s the perfect phone that has been released. Never has any manufacturer, including Apple, released a perfect 10/10 phone. I said it, and now Biddy has said the same, Android is still in its infancy stage and unless you are afraid of the new OS, or you are more loyal to iOS, then you should not venture towards an Android device.

Android is just the OS, in reality it’s the manufacturer that has taken over that OS, and putting it on the ultimate hardware whatever that is, be it Dual Core Processors, Higher pixel cameras, larger displays, better displayers ie Amoled, Super Amoled, TFT Capacitive, etc. I think what people need to look for in a phone, is what is the main purpose of the phone going to be used for. Many people make the mistake, of a buying a cellphone, and not using half of the features. If you just want a simple call, Text and email, with a little bit of multimedia, then go with Blackberry or a cheaper handset like some of the Nokia's.

People tend to forget, that the iPhone is the same device, albeit with a upgrade in the OS, and the Design change and some additional features missing from previous iPhones. What I said earlier was, that iPhone will be largely a more mature phone, based on the fact that it has a more mature OS and due to the fact that it only releases 1 specific handset at a time. No other manufacturer uses iOS, so its easeir for Apple to maintain a grip on performance, stability, upgrades etc.

Like Biddy, my take on it is simple, if you looking for a change then Android is the way to go, but if you want to remain loyal and don’t want to learn about new functionality and don’t want to venture into the wild, then stick with what you are familiar with

Have you looked at the HTC Sensation. Mainly because when android gets updates the HTCs are updated first as its their software, whereas the S2 is a illegitimateised version. Also not worth upgrading for at least 6 weeks with the imminent release of the iPhone 5.

I'd second the Sensation, had mine for a few months now and I love it, it just works and as has been said updates seem to happen regularly and are seamless.

The phone is one of the biggest on the market but is so well designed that it actually seems a good bit smaller than the Samsung.

My main pet hate with all of Apple products like the ipod and iphone is that you are "locked in" to what they want to sell you.

If your looking for a change then Android is the way to go, but if you want to remain loyal and don’t want to learn about new functionality and don’t want to venture into the wild, then stick with what you are familiar with

Such as?? Come on im all ears....im in no way loyal to Apple, I just havent seen a convincing arguement for why Galaxy is better?!

As for watching films on Phones, I just wouldnt do it!! Listen to some music or something yeah, but not watch a film on something of only a few inches.

Such as?? Come on im all ears....im in no way loyal to Apple, I just havent seen a convincing arguement for why Galaxy is better?!

As for watching films on Phones, I just wouldnt do it!! Listen to some music or something yeah, but not watch a film on something of only a few inches.

Technically the Galaxy is slimmer, lighter and faster. However it is also wider as the screen is bigger 3.5" vs 4.3" even though the iphone resolution is still higher so should still offer sharper images.

The camera is better on the Galaxy S2 (8MP over 5MP),plus the galaxy has front camera for video calling.

iphone comes with 16GB or 32GB (for a premium). Galaxy S2 comes with 16GB on board as standard plus an SD Card slot to add up to 32GB more (46GB total).

Battery on the Galaxy "should" technically last longer.

So if it's hardware specs you're after, the Galaxy S2 beats the iphone hands down and Android does EVERYTHING iOS can do its just a case of getting used to it. People coming from iOS think its hard to get used to but I would probably say the same if I tried iOS to be honest. It's what you know. I hated Android with a passion when I moved from WinMob 6.5 to Android but now I wouldn't go back.

Of course, iphone 5 could well out-power the Galaxy S2 when it comes out but you can guarantee the lowest version will be £100 more then the Galaxy. As I say, you pays your money and you take your choice. Each to their own, I just know I wouldn't pay a premium for an Apple logo which is in reality the main difference.

Sorry koi, a serious response from me then ;)

I have a 3GS and the wife does indeed have a HTC Desire S. I personally wouldn't swap my 3gs for her phone as I have got used to iOS and I like the way it works for me. I will probably hold out and get an Iphone 5, I have about 50gb of music on Itunes and I like the way it synchs with my iphone.

However the SII does look a very impressive piece of kit and I know that the samsung IU is very similar to the apple one, too close according to apple's legal team. The spec is currently slightly better than the Iphone 4 but nobody knows how the iphone 5 will compare.

I'm in no way an apple fanboy, the 3gs was my first apple product. I've had HTC phones from way back when they made phones for T-Mobile. I speak on the subject with a little knowledge as an ex phones 4u manager and a product design graduate..... however I'm clearly not in line for a career as a stand up comic :o)

... If Asus used Windows in the first place they might have got me for life. False economy.

Technological companies need to remember most of us just need to switch on, upgrade the OS from time to time and get on with life. This is the point I try to make, I don't think my iPhone is better than everyone else's phone, it just doesn't give me any hassle at any level.

With apologies for a selective quote Paul, I'm going to make it worse and pick out only three words from this edit. False - economy - iPhone.

From having read your musings on this subject for as many years as you've been posting them, I can say with some conviction that iPhone got you first. If you had gone for an equivalent Android phone at the time, I think you would be singing the praises of Andriod instead.

Bold highlights, because those words are so important. The competing manufacturers aim (and time) hardware and software releases to maximise benefit over the opposition.

You and I want no hassle phones which make calls, send texts, maybe check if the train is running on time. At a stretch, give the latest updates on the cycling, or the weather info in the mountains and where to find a nice restaurant if we're away from home.

All the phones being discussed here do that, do it all easily, and do it well. So users will understandably stick with the platform they chose first / like / understand.

My only build on the whole thing would be to highlight cost - because that is now the only major differential. Apple insist - with every network (and it has to be said, consistent with all their other products) - that their phones must be priced at a premium level. And the networks ride the wave, because they all have seperate price plans for iPhones.

If you have found the justification to pay a huge additional sum of money over the contract period of your iPhone - than you would for an equivalent Android, Windows, or Blackberry - then that's fine, can't argue. You pay the iPhone premium for what I get (last time checked) at less than half the cost.

{And when you emailed me recently about saving money on some train tickets ... how much money did you save?! :xmas: }

It looks like we're going for the Galaxy S2. Our main concern with the iPhone has been the signal quality (cheap Nokia's substantially better) and the poor storage space. The iPhone may sort the signal issue but we'll still be looking at 16Gb on our contract and we want more.

Signal indicator on the Galaxy S2.

Both the signal and the Wi FI are way down on several phones in our household.

O2 all phones.

Old Samsung (standard brick) full bars

HTC Smart full bars

I Phone 3G Full bars

Galaxy S2 1-2 bars

Wi FI in next room to router.

Galaxy S2 1 bar

3g 4 bars

Apparently there is a glitch on the signal indicators, according to Samsung will be fixed in the next update of gingerbread.

Two weeks into mine now (as said before my first smart phone) love it, very user friendly. Camera is better than my own, which is no mug as I bought it for underwater pics and video. Ran the video for a few minutes at last nights game, played it back on the phone, then put it onto the Mac book, the phone playback beats the Mac hands down.

Running Dolphin HD as the browser, really impressed.

As others have said the battery cover is a little flimsy but I don't see what the problem is with that, for a large phone it really is light compared to others I tried, HTC Sensation, Sony Arc, IPhone 4.

Battery use, GPS and Bluetooth turned off, moderate usage, 2 days. noticed improvement from when I first got the phone, like most phones the more you drain the battery and re-charge it seems to improve.

Also bought a flip case for it, from Amazon, looks like carbon, also light and low profile so still slides in and out of your jeans pocket a treat.

Thumbs up from me.

Edit thought I'd add the link to the case My link no doubt you can purchase via the adds on here.

Had my Galaxy S2 for a couple of days. First of all the signal is miles better than the 3GS for me, the bars is accurate but I've been checking the signal strength in the status function. The first things to strike me are how fast it is and how good the screen is. I am missing the usability of itunes (currently working through doubletwist) particularly for podcasts. Overall, quite pleased.

I've ordered a similar case, I also got the Samsung one to try.

I sell the things to get me through uni these days and I fully sympathise with Paul because unless you have a vague idea of what you are talking about it can get very confusing, it's taken me months to learn different things and it is an incredibly fast moving sector of the technology Market.

I personally also have a 3GS I got it on a different network to the one I work for about a year and a half ago for the simple reason I didn't want to carry an iPod and a phone about and that I could plug the phone into my ex car's aux socket on the stereo which worked fantastically well. I view the Internet on it, I watch sky on it, it's a fantastically simple phone to use.

What I have found though is from playing with them android phones are easy to use too, what Paul hasn't been told is this in language he understands, the average user isn't a techy and if you start speaking in numbers and apps and software updates it genuinely freaks people out because the only things they understand is how it works, how it looks and cost.

From that point of view the sii is a damn sexy phone that's easy to use and is cheaper than the iPhone. To me I'd buy an iPhone now purely because of it's simplicity to switch from this iPhone to another one with how it syncs to my computer and copies to a new device. The downside of the iPhone is the cost, you are paying for a fashion accessory. As biddy said the battery cover on the sii feels flimsy when you take it off but how often do you do that? But it's flimsy because the weight of the phone is very light not because it's cheaply made.

To me when I upgrade it will be a tough choice

After a week I can safely say the Galaxy S2 is an amazing phone and so far ahead of the 3GS it's untrue. Android took a bit of time but once you get a feel for it and download decent apps it soon becomes instinctive and if anything make the Apple iOS look 'clunky'.

As for the cheap feel, put it in a decent case and it feels superb.

For handling the music side of things I use Double Twist that syncs with iTunes so all my music went over in one go.

• 2 weeks later...

Still looks behind the S2 to me.

In what way? 4S looks to be at least as fast processor-wise, better camera (8MP but better sensor and twice as fast), better built, higher quality screen, more intuitive interface, more apps - and IOS5 plus the voice recognition thingy are the icing and cherry on top. I'll give you the S2's screen is bigger but that's the one and only thing I can see that you could argue the S2 has over the 4S (but to my mind it just makes the phone that bit too big).

Android has had voice recognition for years! Why anybody would shell out the price they do for these devices just so they can look cool is beyond me. The price they will be charging for an Android knock off will be ridiculous as always.

Apples market share is about to plummet :rover:

iPhone 4S just announced - looks like the S2 just got made to look pretty ordinary.

Meanwhile back on planet Earth

iPhone 4S vs. the smartphone elite: Galaxy S II, Bionic and Titan

Android has had voice recognition for years! Why anybody would shell out the price they do for these devices just so they can look cool is beyond me. The price they will be charging for an Android knock off will be ridiculous as always.

Apples market share is about to plummet :rover:

Apple has introduced the next version of its flagship iPhone in the debut product launch by newly appointed chief executive Tim Cook, but investors were initially disappointed with the new product.

The iPhone 4S resembles the iPhone 4 but includes a faster chip, a much better camera and a flashy voice-recognition feature that processes naturally asked questions such as “Do I need a raincoat and “How is the Nasdaq doing today?”

Investors had been expecting more dramatic improvements and sent Apple shares down more than 3 per cent by mid-afternoon trading in New York.

Apple’s iPhone 4S disappoints investors

In what way? 4S looks to be at least as fast processor-wise, better camera (8MP but better sensor and twice as fast), better built, higher quality screen, more intuitive interface, more apps - and IOS5 plus the voice recognition thingy are the icing and cherry on top. I'll give you the S2's screen is bigger but that's the one and only thing I can see that you could argue the S2 has over the 4S (but to my mind it just makes the phone that bit too big).

Actually a slower processor with only half as much ram. Camera is subjective, pros and cons for each. How can you comment on the build quality of a phone that no one has yet? I would be amazed if the screen is actually higher quality. Interface is very similar but less restrictive and has the massive plus of not requiring itunes, subjective again anyway. More apps, yes but android still has a huge number and more of the premium apps on android tend to be free. Has voice recognition.

And has the bigger screen (you think it's too big, after using it I find the iphone too small), has expandable memory and no magically cracking screen.

Anything else you think that makes it ordinary?

They are in fact both very powerful phones, but as a piece of hardware the samsung is still on top. The choice to make between them is which operating system you personally prefer and if it's apple, if you are prepared to pay the large brand premium.

They are in fact both very powerful phones, but as a piece of hardware the samsung is still on top. The choice to make between them is which operating system you personally prefer and if it's apple, if you are prepared to pay the large brand premium.

This is a very good point, I am sure that most people are very happy with the iPhone 4 as I am happy with my Samsung Galaxy 1. The reason that I wanted NON Apple phone is that I have iPad and Mac laptop and I don't want any more iTunes lock in. That is just me, I am really enjoying using my Galaxy 1 but I know that I need a CPU bump as there is some slow down. I have a friend who has a iPhone 3GS and that is really struggling with a lack of CPU power.

But for me the next hardware bump all smart phone users need is new battery tech. I am very lucky if my phone lasts a whole day although I am very heavy internet user.

Apple fanboys are really annoying me today! On my.facebook my friends brother said the 4s is better than the s2 because it now has the same specs though a worse screen....couldnt make it up.

Same phone as the iphone 4 yet still slower and less ram than the s2. Also love how they have blatently stolen the voice recognition and notification area (even making it drag down) from android. Cant wait for android 4 to come out next month so I can laugh at them all again with their locked os phone with dated features.

I had an iphone 4 up until last week btw and the s2 has been a breath of fresh air

Apple fanboys are really annoying me today! On my.facebook my friends brother said the 4s is better than the s2 because it now has the same specs though a worse screen....couldnt make it up.

Same phone as the iphone 4 yet still slower and less ram than the s2. Also love how they have blatently stolen the voice recognition and notification area (even making it drag down) from android. Cant wait for android 4 to come out next month so I can laugh at them all again with their locked os phone with dated features.

I had an iphone 4 up until last week btw and the s2 has been a breath of fresh air

Can you take off your fanboy(If you have one on)and explain to a Galaxy 1 user why I should upgrade to a S2. Surely its better to wait for Ice Cream Sandwich to come out and then the hardware refresh after that?

Archived