BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] European decoders & Canal+

Ok hoping someone can help me.

Im wondering if it’s possible to get Canal + in this country? IF so, how? Im happy to pay for it if need be? Or can it be received on the legal European decoders?

Also what European decoders are now legal to use in pubs to show live English Premier league games? And also do you need a massive dish to get signal?

Any links to the equipment I need will be appreciated.

Not sure why you would want Canal+ to be honest. If its for footy, most pubs go for Nova sports (Greece), Sky Italia (obvious) or viasat (nordic).

All would need legitimate subscription cards and all can be received quite happily in the UK but you need an 80cm-1m dish.

Most sellers appear to sell proper receivers for the subscription you are after, the problem is, its not cheap which is why its only really beneficial to pubs. For example Nova sport with receiver for 12 months is £1,225 so a snip at £102 per month. Also, you will find 2-3 saturday games but not all which generally means you won't get the rovers games.

Pretty much the same with Sky Italia plus both Sky and Nova tend not to have English audio.

Viasat on the other hand show ALL games and with English commentary. Downside here is that generally its a 2 year sub so £1275 year one and £1075 (year 2) here Marconi Digital I think you definately need 1m or over dish for that plus very good wall brackets to make sure the wind doesn't take it.

There is a cheaper alternative from Albania called Tring which claims to show most games, unfortunately for the past 2 years now there have been loads of instances of it working perfectly up until 3pm when it suddenly goes off and comes on again at 5pm. Appears the premier league / sky have got to them.

The legalities of pubs showing football is still unclear though as it was only an advisory and still needs to come back to a UK court for action. Even then, the Premier League won the copyright case on replays and onscreen graphics which means tenuously, pubs would not be allowed to show those items. However private users would not be bound by such issues therefore it *should* be perfectly legal to buy cards from anywhere. The cost is now slightly prohibitive.

A good site that shows what games are on satellite is live on sat You will see from this link that Rovers vs Fulham is only on Viasat this weekend.

You might be able to tell that I was heavily into the satellite stuff a few years ago when a legitimate sub cost around £150 per year and you got Every game but now its just too expensive to do it the legitimate way.

Viasat on the other hand show ALL games and with English commentary. Downside here is that generally its a 2 year sub so £1275 year one and £1075 (year 2)

There is a cheaper alternative from Albania called Tring which claims to show most games, unfortunately for the past 2 years now there have been loads of instances of it working perfectly up until 3pm when it suddenly goes off and comes on again at 5pm. Appears the premier league / sky have got to them.

The cost is now slightly prohibitive.

You might be able to tell that I was heavily into the satellite stuff a few years ago when a legitimate sub cost around £150 per year and you got Every game but now its just too expensive to do it the legitimate way.

Yeah found out about via-sat, they have every premier league game...but like you say, the cost makes it stupid!

Whats the Albanian thing?

Your final point....feel free to drop me a pm

The Albanian package as I say is called Tring (plus). Cards were around £250 for the year but most legitimate sellers have stopped selling them as Tring kept turning off 3pm games. The Marconi Digital site says they are waiting on the UK court cross boarder selling rules but I'm not sure this will affect the Tring cards as Albania is still outside the EU. Its a bit of a shame they stopped selling these cards as they still showed all Sky, ESPN and champions league games its just the 3pm games that got blacked out.

Good places to look for information on cards and how to get them are at alsat forums and satellites.co.uk

Canal Plus (at least the French version) isn't that hard to get in the UK, but there are better packages out there. With Canal Plus you'll get all of the 12:45 kickoffs, most of the 5:15 and usually at least one 3:00, but there are better alternatives.

As for the legality, you have to wait and see until the dust has settled on all of the recent court rulings. For the time being it is probably not worth the risk.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived