BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Homeplug Help

Hi all, hoping someone can help me out.

I bought a twin pack of TP-Link homeplugs yesterday. I want to use them to connect my eeebox HTPC to my WDTV Live which is in the bedroom. The plan is to be able to watch all the films I have on the eeebox through the WDTV Live. I bought a pack of 2 homeplugs and thought it would be as easy as just putting one in the socket next to the eeebox and connect it to the ethernet port on that, and then connect the other to the ethernet port of the WDTV Live..... but it's not having any of it!!!

Now the only issue I can see is that I am still also using a wireless network as the router is next to the phone point in the hallway. Is this where I'm going wrong? do I need another homeplug to connect the router to the whole network?

Can you actually use homeplugs to just connect two items???? Thats actually all I want to do.

I'm no expert but you need to have a homeplug connected to the router. Once you have done that then you can plug another homeplug in any socket in the house and it should let you connect via an ethernet cable.

Works for us at our house, didn't need to do any major configuration. We don't do any streaming between two devices though so that might need more configuration

I believe they wont work if the two sockets they are plugged into are on a different circuit - i'e' different fuse/breaker. Plus, you do know there's a button on the homeplugs that allows them to pair up? Apart from that Ricky, it really is straight forward.

I use them for sky anytime+ with no problem at all.

One home plug is plugged into a wall socket next to the sky box - with the ethernet lead into the sky box, while the other homeplug is plugged into a socket next to the sky broadband router - with the ethernet lead plugged into the router. That's how it downloads info to the shy box via sky broadband.

Also, if I move the ethernet cable from the sky box to my BluRay player, I can update the Bluray player, or download certain internet streams via the Bluray player to the TV.

The homeplug has to be plugged into power point adjacent to the router and ethernet connected to router.

The second homeplug can be connected then to any power point on the circuit

Yes, that's exactly my experience though I have now abandoned the home plugs altogether. Granted we had to redecorate anyway but I took the time to move some cables and install new sockets. I now get much better TV reception and iPlayer watching / downloads by plugging my BT box directly into the router. Moving the aerial points etc was very easy for the guy who did it. He just turned up with an enormous drill bit, moved the cable and fed it through to a spot more convenient to the router.

The homeplug has to be plugged into power point adjacent to the router and ethernet connected to router.

The second homeplug can be connected then to any power point on the circuit

Can't think of any reason why the power point has to be adjacent to the router.

Can't think of any reason why the power point has to be adjacent to the router.

I think that's true but doesn't one power plug have to be plugged into the router? Just a question of how long the Ethernet cable is?

I think that's true but doesn't one power plug have to be plugged into the router? Just a question of how long the Ethernet cable is?

Yes, that's right. Maybe I'm misunderstanding Alan, but I thought he was meaning that the powerplug at the router had to be plugged into the nearest wall socket.

Yes, that's right. Maybe I'm misunderstanding Alan, but I thought he was meaning that the powerplug at the router had to be plugged into the nearest wall socket.

Depends on length of ethernet cable - that said as the reuter is pluged into a power point why not connect to same power point (providing its a double socket :rolleyes: )

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Bob

In the end I invested in an additional homeplug. Seems to all be working fine now although the WDTV Live still won't let me find files through SAMBA (Could they not have picked a different name!!!!!)

I've managed to find all the files through the media centre option though.

All sounds a bit complex Ricky. What have you actually got? We have a screen, a box and a thing with buttons on that we press - known as The Force in our house!! Not much else to it really.

Archived