BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Championship Clubs Introduce Financial Fair Play

The biggest problem is that the PL has not followed suit with the FL at the moment. However, UEFA's FFP will soon force the PL's hand. As much as the big clubs will do all they can to find ways around this, and will succeed for a time, the loopholes will slowly be found and closed. The FFP in its current form is of course not bullet proof, but as I said it is a step in the right direction! It appears that many think the the current state of affairs in the game is preferable??? Really???

It can be criticized for not going far enough, etc and I would agree with those arguments, but to dismiss it out of hand and even try to say that it is actually the brainchild of a big club conspiracy is bewildering to say the least.

Why is it that the general attitude is so fatalistic, that even when there is good news and developments it is poo poo'd away as insignificant or irrelevant or even dismissed as making things worse?

Football in this country is geared to the big clubs, nothing more and nothing less. Look at the restructuring of youth football which is about to come into place. Does it benefit the top clubs or the clubs at the bottom of the League? It was pushed through by the Premier League clubs because it will be beneficial to them. Try reading Chris Green's book "Every Boy's Dream", which is about the existing youth set up and is quite revealing about how the top clubs simply cherry pick the best young lads from League clubs and then get them with very little in the way of compensation going to the smaller club. It's also quite revealing about how clubs simply ignored and manipulated rules for their own convenience.

The sad fact is that at the present time Football, or more importantly, money revolves around the Premier League and not lower down. I believe even the BBC are scrapping their coverage of the Football League on Saturday nights from next season. Very little coverage of the Championship is given in the national papers and with limited exposure in the media it then impacts on sponsorships etc. John Williams always said that it was imperative for the Rovers to stay in the Premier League in terms of financing and that relegation would be cripple the club for years to come. Sadly, I think we are about to find out exactly what he meant.

Welcome to our world.

We should all be clear, the football pecking order in this country goes, Big Clubs, Other Prem Clubs, the rest.

Over the past few months, on a couple of threads on here, I've mentioned money and been roundly dismissed. 'Money, thats all you Burnley fans can bring up. No matter how much I've tried to highlight just how huge the financial disparity has been since Uncle Jack came in, many on here have dismissed it - now you all seem to want to use the same arguments about clubs with more money than you. My comments about money weren't designed as a criticism, merely a statement of the facts.

Without looking at exact figures it is reasonable to say that over the last 20 years (i.e. just looking at the Premier League, not really thinking about Jack Walker before this, your income with Premier League money has probably been about 5 times ours, in perspective probably around 600 million pounds. That is the football reality and it shows why some clubs end up taking huge financial gambles. FFP is not a complete answer or even probably as effective as it maybe, but at least it is a start.

Lets be realistic, since the abolition of the maximum wage, small clubs have always been struggling to compete. Once freedom of contracts came in then it really was game over.

Man Citys sponsorship deal shows the way forward for big clubs.

Agreed.

Also there is a new time of opulence coming for the PL which is going to ratchet the money machine to a new level. I had thought it was ending with various technological changes but it is not.

Both ourselves and Bolton may rue the failure of Phil Gartside's idea for a PL2

1335525101[/url]' post='1252071']

Welcome to our world.

We should all be clear, the football pecking order in this country goes, Big Clubs, Other Prem Clubs, the rest.

Over the past few months, on a couple of threads on here, I've mentioned money and been roundly dismissed. 'Money, thats all you Burnley fans can bring up. No matter how much I've tried to highlight just how huge the financial disparity has been since Uncle Jack came in, many on here have dismissed it - now you all seem to want to use the same arguments about clubs with more money than you. My comments about money weren't designed as a criticism, merely a statement of the facts.

Without looking at exact figures it is reasonable to say that over the last 20 years (i.e. just looking at the Premier League, not really thinking about Jack Walker before this, your income with Premier League money has probably been about 5 times ours, in perspective probably around 600 million pounds. That is the football reality and it shows why some clubs end up taking huge financial gambles. FFP is not a complete answer or even probably as effective as it maybe, but at least it is a start.

Lets be realistic, since the abolition of the maximum wage, small clubs have always been struggling to compete. Once freedom of contracts came in then it really was game over.

This, Burnley man, is a sensible post.

Archived