BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Szkwara

The daughter of a friend of mine is seeing a physio here in Brisbane by the name of Szkwara who claims he played for the Rovers.

I've never heard of anyone with that name - and it's a memorable name - but has anybody out there heard of him?

He certainly never played in the first team!

The daughter of a friend of mine is seeing a physio here in Brisbane by the name of Szkwara who claims he played for the Rovers.

I've never heard of anyone with that name - and it's a memorable name - but has anybody out there heard of him?

He certainly never played in the first team!

The nearest I can think of is Bobby Svarc.

My first reaction was Bobby Svarc, but that was a dead end - defo the wrong name

I then tried google & nothing came back

HOWEVER

BRFCS turned up trumps once again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a reply from Mr Szkwara himself - he's a member of the forum!!!!

I've asked him if it's ok to publish the PM he sent me - I think it will make interesting reading for certain members and will be a nice diversion from all the current kean & Venkys garbage

I'll let you know what happens...

Here's the reply I got from one of our forum members, mick

I thought it was interesting so I'm sharing it with the wider forum

John, I am Szkwara. My daughter, Jaclyn, is the physio. She is referring to the fact that in the 1966-67 season I was signed with Rovers as a schoolboy. She is not fully understanding the implications for that. It's wonderful that daughters love their dads and put them on a pedestal. She is not far off the mark when she says that I was very good player. I was part of the Blackburn Schoolboys team that defeated Manchester in the Lancashire County final over two legs.

John Waddington, who played many games for the Rovers, couldn't get in that lineup as long as I was healthy.

Several other lads signed professional papers from that team. I immigrated to Canada in March 1967 thus ending my opportunities with Rovers. My name back then was not Szkwara but Hough, Mick Hough, that's why no-one would recognize it either. Anyone that knew me knows that I could play. I was captain of the Billinge team that won just about everything that it played for that year.

I don't have a problem with you posting my reply. All those QUEGS out there might though. They thought that they were the centre of the universe. LOL!

Some of the lads that I played with back then, from the town team, included Richard Ellis, Dennis Leaver (yes of the legendary pies), Graham Stevenson, Johney Campbell Jr ( son of the Rover's great), John Mullen, Roy Wilcock, Phil Isherwood, Ian Holt,and Kenny Boland. My best story was once while training up at Blackimoor, Keith Newton, one of my heroes stayed behind and practiced a bit with us. He tackled me and asked if I was ok. I smiled and thanked him for that magic moment! I was tackled by Keith Newton.

Archived