BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Financial Fair Play & Rovers

TBTF

I know this topic is likely to provoke a whole load of stuff (most of which has been posted before) but just wondered if anybody knew or had given any thought to what impact this would have on us?

Given that we have the square root of beggar all coming through in turnover and are likely to be incurring massive losses at operating level what does the future of FFP hold for us and are Venky's even remotely aware of what might be happening?

The way they have alienated the fan base in this context continues to look an(another) act of madness and with corporate and sponsor income non existent we are going to be well and truly knackered.

I am no expert on the subject and better minds than mine will have looked into this but the way we are being run and the diminishing income we are generating looks to be a massive cause for concern.Even if by some miracle we do go up this year , the future under FFP looks bleak i would suggest.

Anybody done any real research into what this could all mean for us??

If we get promoted the TV money is huge and should cover us well enough. I imagine getting sponsors will be much easier as well as a Premier League club.

If I remember correctly ... You're not restricted to only spending what you make and the owners can put in something like 20m extra before the rules are broken.

Money is a worry if we fail to get promoted within 2 years, after that we will be in huge trouble financially.

UEFA's FFP is not likely to apply to Rovers anytime soon, it only applies to teams that are taking part in UEFA competitions (Champions League & Europa League). The Football League have also adopted a version of FFP, but in very general terms Rovers aren't going to be punished by that because of the income that they will receive from transfer fees (installments for previous transfers and money for Junior etc this season) and the £19 million parachute payment this season and also next season.

The whole FFP issue is very complex but it is only going to affect the teams in UEFA competition, even then can you really see UEFA banning "big" clubs such as Chelsea, City, PSG and even Barca because they fell foul of FFP, I think not as that would devalue hugely their flagship competition (Champions League), which in turn would massively reduce UEFA's income and almost certainly lead to a "breakaway" by the big clubs.

The Football League have their own Financial Fair Play scheme which has been introduced for this season

http://www.football-...2748246,00.html

thanks Kendal.

So we are in the middle of this and the size of our wage bill and resulting annual losses will be a major issue and it doesn't look to be within the powers of Venkys to keep piling money in to defeat it.Even more worrying is what impact it might have in terms of appeal for any would be buyers beyond Venkys.

Kamy, are you reading it differently??

I'm pretty sure our only long term plan is to get promoted next season at the latest. If we're not in the PL by 2014-2015, some Football League FFP-sanctions are not our biggest worry. And if we do get promoted, the sanctions are a drop in the ocean that is PL TV-money.

The big money clubs will find a away around it by having seats or stadium sponsorship deals every year from wealthy owners. As this would be considered sponsorship income. It wont stop anything. The only real way to properly start FFP is to put in wage cap.

Wage cap is the only real way to solve the issues surrounding the Premier League and not some namby pamby limit decided by turnover. An actual limit across the board that has heavy penalties for those who break it. It works in the NRL and, season on season, it makes it a much fairer competition with any side able to win the comp at the start of the season. The big boys wouldn't like it much though. Long term, it's the only way to avoid financial meltdown for clubs in the 'Best League In The World tm'.

Archived