BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Formation and Tactics

Cairney eg could easily sit behind Rhodes or Gestede, and then still fall back into the midfield pack to distribute. Its really tough knowing what formation to play, as i still feel our squad is too big especially in midfield.

And there's the rub! 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 is obviously the best way forward for a squad like ours with any number of decent quality midfielder players (albeit injuries recently taking their toll) and would help stop us getting pegged back weekly to desperately defending our box BUT It would mean dropping one of those strikers to the bench. On current form and playing 4-5-1 that would undoubtedly be Rhodes but that would surely reduce his sell on value and likely even bring on head on collision with him and his agent. Unhappy players not playing leave only one winner and we'd see a good few million written off if he left in a froth of acrimony and accusation on the cheap come summer. I've a niggly feeling Bowyer is under orders to play Rhodes and keep him happy and that political rather than footballing reasons are behind the issue.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And there's the rub! 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 is obviously the best way forward for a squad like ours with any number of decent quality midfielder players (albeit injuries recently taking their toll) and would help stop us getting pegged back weekly to desperately defending our box BUT It would mean dropping one of those strikers to the bench. On current form and playing 4-5-1 that would undoubtedly be Rhodes but that would surely reduce his sell on value and likely even bring on head on collision with him and his agent. Unhappy players not playing leave only one winner and we'd see a good few million written off if he left in a froth of acrimony and accusation on the cheap come summer. I've a niggly feeling Bowyer is under orders to play Rhodes and keep him happy and that political rather than footballing reasons are behind the issue.

I generally agree and have sympathy with Rhodes. After all he's saddled with the transfer fee millstone through no fault of his own. That should go in the mix with all the other splash the cash nonsense endorsed by Shebby.

With the return of Evans, I'd like to see a midfield of Evans, Lowe, Cairney (playing wide right but with licence to drift), Dunn & Conway with Rhodes up top. Defensively I like the look of Spurr, Hanley, Kilgallon and Henley, particularly with a rejuvenated goalkeeping presence martialling the troups. Admittedly that would be harsh on Gestede but sat on the bench he gives us another option but it's all about goals.

As Den has said we need fluidity, pass and move, vary the pattern of play, be unpredictable. I think that team could press higher up the pitch, allow full backs to get down the flanks whilst a midfielder sits etc. whilst the 'cherry' is still on hand to finish.

At least surely now's the time to give it a go.

Archived