BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Formation and Tactics

I don't get it, if it must be promotion at all costs.....and GB doesn't get us up, sacked surely.......or has the old dear told him he's got the job till the end of next season? So why the negativity with team selection - two big home games coming up on consecutive Saturdays, with Barnsley in between , we need eight points, is he going to go with the terrible twins forever?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looking at our results with Lowe and Williamson playing together vs our results when only one plays。 I've gone back to Sep 17 because before then Williamson was suspended for one and injured for the beginning of the season

(taken out the FA cup games)

LOWE AND WILLIAMSON - 9 games - 2 wins, 4 defeats, 3 draws (F8 A15)

Just LOWE or WILLIAMSON - 10 games - 6 wins, 2 defeats (one defeat featured an early red for Hanley) 2 draws (F12 A7)

So just going purely off statistics, when they pay together in the league we average exactly 1pt per game, with just one playing its exactly 2 pts per game!!!!

Interesting

Great piece of info.

Nails the debate about that one. I thought these days managers are really big on stats ? That one has slipped through the net or does it just prove that he's finding places for players instead of fielding the best side when possible.

Just looking at our results with Lowe and Williamson playing together vs our results when only one plays。 I've gone back to Sep 17 because before then Williamson was suspended for one and injured for the beginning of the season

Just LOWE or WILLIAMSON - 10 games - 6 wins, 2 defeats (one defeat featured an early red for Hanley) 2 draws (F12 A7)

So just going purely off statistics, when they pay together in the league we average exactly 1pt per game, with just one playing its exactly 2 pts per game!!!!

Interesting

We need to balance the argument a little - in how many of those matches where Williamson or Lowe played did Evans play (ie another defensive midfield player). IMO getting Evans fit and playing for the rest of the season will have as big an impact as formations etc.

I don't get it, if it must be promotion at all costs.....and GB doesn't get us up, sacked surely.......or has the old dear told him he's got the job till the end of next season? So why the negativity with team selection - two big home games coming up on consecutive Saturdays, with Barnsley in between , we need eight points, is he going to go with the terrible twins forever?

How do we get 8 points from 3 matches ?

Interesting

It is undoubtedly an interesting statistic, and the following is just a thought, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is it that Lowe AND Williamson tend to get played against superior opposition, when GB is trying to keep it tight, and he is more inclined to play Lowe OR Williamson against inferior opposition when he feels two defensive midfielders are less necessary.

I have not got time to check, but if you could include a list of the games it would be easy to spot if the apparently startling statistic is in fact mostly caused by the quality of the opponent, rather than the quality of our central midfield pairing.

Excuse me Shabani, would you mind compiling of more comprehensive report on this data, with annexes of the squads of each team we faced in the matches you reference? It'll make it much easier for everyone to come up with new ways to rubbish your findings. Take your time, and make it as thorough as possible, there's a good chap.

TVM.

Is it that Lowe AND Williamson tend to get played against superior opposition, when GB is trying to keep it tight, and he is more inclined to play Lowe OR Williamson against inferior opposition when he feels two defensive midfielders are less necessary.

I would say Leeds away was seen as a tough fixture, but he didn't play the 2 of them - instead playing a very attacking formation with Cairney in a key role, and we won.

It will be very interesting to see how Evans slots back in - as others have mentioned all this forum debate may be redundant when Evans gets back as he can both destroy and create. Him and Lowe would be ok. Evans and Cairney would be my ideal central 2 - when Evans has had a few games to toughen up and be the enforcer.

Only reason he didn't play the pair of them in that game was Lowe was out. Almost nailed on he would have started with them had Lowe been available. Wonder what the rest of the formation and the result would have been then ? :)

My comparison of Lowe+Williamson vs just one of them playing was to prove that together they should never play together

With Evans I'd be happy to play Lowe/Williamson with him, as he is an excellent midfielder who offers a lot in the centre of the park

Roberto Martinez talking about WBA's new coach Pepe Mel. " We might not see a very different West Brom on Monday but I do feel over the course of the rest of the season you'll see a change and a team that wants to control games, be energetic off the ball and wants to win it back rather than defend deep as West Brom probably have been doing over recent seasons".

Does that last bit ring any bells ?

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/10954164._/?

Dann fit for the weekend. Shame... Would of preferred to see Kilgallon. The way Dann spoke to Eastwood after pulling off a great save at the weekend was disgusting, get him sold... Donkey. No Evans this weekend again, possibly Kane fit, who I'd give a game. One final thing... Cairney in the middle please.

this is my kind of thread I love putting loads of formations up and that haha

------------------robbo------------------

--kane----dann----hanley---spur---

------------------lowe-----------------

-----------cairney------evans------

-marshall----------------------taylor--

---------------Rhodes-----------------

or

-------------robbo-------------------

-Henley--dann---hanley--spur-

--------lowe ------evans--------

--------------cairney-------------

-------king---Rhodes--gestede-

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/10954164._/?

Dann fit for the weekend. Shame... Would of preferred to see Kilgallon. The way Dann spoke to Eastwood after pulling off a great save at the weekend was disgusting, get him sold... Donkey. No Evans this weekend again, possibly Kane fit, who I'd give a game. One final thing... Cairney in the middle please.

So we should ignore our captain and our best defender in a solid defence?

Guest Norbert

only because BRFCS haven't played a game yet

I'll warn you in advance. Don't ever pick me for your team. Steven Hawking would be a better signing!

Re AdamRochina: Perhaps it is because of the Paul Ince thread I have just posted, but those football formations were the sort of things I used to doodle at Upper school (that's from about 13-18 years of age for those who were not educated in Bedfordshire).

So we should ignore our captain and our best defender in a solid defence?

Whilst Neal has taken umbridge with your assertation that Dann is the best defender I would like to point out your laughable use of the term Solid Defence.

You have been concious for the last two matches.........haven't you??

Our defence is about as a solid as a stool deposit after a bad curry.

Archived