BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Formation and Tactics

again looking at us this season, we seem alot better when we attack teams. when we sit back and defend, thats when we are exposed. this is the reason why playing both Lowe and Williamson is not working out. we can have 1, but not both. hell if i was the manager i would get rid of both, and bring in a proper DM. JJ was the player i wish we still had, but anyway, we have to be more attack minded, because sitting back will only end in tears

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JJ was the player i wish we still had, but anyway, we have to be more attack minded, because sitting back will only end in tears

As I pointed out above the derby match illustrated that it's more related to the tactics, the formation AND the opposition than the personnel..... Although tbh Williamson would have to go some to get in my team before the kit man!

The problem with all this tactical discussion is irrelevant if we haven't got the personnel to play any of them properly.

People are pointing out that our two defensive midfielders don't tackle. Solution is to drop one and move Crainey inside. Possibly will work but then who do we play out wide?

People say the majority of our full backs are weak defending but whoever plays right back gets little cover from the forementioned Crainey or in deed King. This invites pressure down that side which every opposotion seemed to have worked out.

Next we have the problem with the forwards. Gestede can play the lone striker but you can't drop our main goal threat in Rhodes so that leaves us having to play two upfront.

The in vogue formation seems to be 4-5-1 or variants of this. Do we need 2 central defenders to cover one forward or should be cavalier and play 3 at the back with 2 wing backs?

If we were sign to Dabo could we play:-

Robbo

Hanley Dann Killgallon

Lowe Crainey Dabo Dunn Spurr

Gestede Rhodes

Just sounding out an idea

The problem with all this tactical discussion is irrelevant if we haven't got the personnel to play any of them properly.

People are pointing out that our two defensive midfielders don't tackle. Solution is to drop one and move Crainey inside. Possibly will work but then who do we play out wide?

People say the majority of our full backs are weak defending but whoever plays right back gets little cover from the forementioned Crainey or in deed King. This invites pressure down that side which every opposotion seemed to have worked out.

Next we have the problem with the forwards. Gestede can play the lone striker but you can't drop our main goal threat in Rhodes so that leaves us having to play two upfront.

The in vogue formation seems to be 4-5-1 or variants of this. Do we need 2 central defenders to cover one forward or should be cavalier and play 3 at the back with 2 wing backs?

If we were sign to Dabo could we play:-

Robbo

Hanley Dann Killgallon

Lowe Crainey Dabo Dunn Spurr

Gestede Rhodes

Just sounding out an idea

its okay to make the mistake once DSD4E, but 3 times? ;)

Cub Scout football is well represented on here I see. :tu:

Best Rovers team I ever saw played 2-3-5. From a Personal point of view it was great playing at wing half, you got the ball and you'd five players in front of you to pass to. Now you get the ball in midfield and you've got just one target most of the time, occasionally two.

Best Rovers team I ever saw played 2-3-5. From a Personal point of view it was great playing at wing half, you got the ball and you'd five players in front of you to pass to. Now you get the ball in midfield and you've got just one target most of the time, occasionally two.

and in the case for Jason Lowe, only 2 to pass backwards to

That must have been quite a feat in itself Tyrone with half the team tartlining up top and you 3 doing all the grafting.

and in the case for Jason Lowe, only 2 to pass backwards to

I've already said why that is frequently his best option.

I take it that you are too young to remember the great Liverpool team of the late 70's and 80's that swept all before it season after season? Thay were pass masters who worked to the rule that if the opposition haven't got the ball they couldn't score. Backwards, forwards, sideways didn't matter a bit as long as they didn't give the ball away.

I remember the early 80s team. They kept the ball but they passed and moved, something that Rovers don't do very well. The line about Lowe was a bit in jest as most on here think he passes backwards all the time. I know for a player to pass successfully then the player he passes to has to be available to receive the ball. Usually defenders are more least likely to be marked than forward players hence he has to go sideways or backwards.

The Liverpool side probed for openings. The way Rovers pass at times across and in front of teams will not create openings. There is little attempt to draw teams out.

One of the reasons he passes backwards so much is that he struggles to take the ball on the half turn.

It's also noticeable that he runs into positions where he can't receive a return pass after the initial ball. Generally runs behind his opposite number rather than making an angle.

One of the reasons he passes backwards so much is that he struggles to take the ball on the half turn.

It's also noticeable that he runs into positions where he can't receive a return pass after the initial ball. Generally runs behind his opposite number rather than making an angle.

Our pass and move game must be the worst in the league. We're so static it's untrue. That should be the easy part of the game. Any decently athletic player should be able to run off the ball for other players.

That must have been quite a feat in itself Tyrone with half the team tartlining up top and you 3 doing all the grafting.

Yeah, I wasn't afraid of grafting. My knees are letting me know that alright these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case we needed more evidence that this lad should be in the middle of the pitch...

http://www.squawka.com/news/2014/02/07/87-pass-accuracy-3-reasons-why-this-is-the-championships-hottest-star/2014020766569?

Agreed, aside Lowe IMO. He just needs more movement, width and options in front of him to be more effective.

Good point LD.

9/10 games at any level are won midfield... That old saying "if you have the ball, they can't score" is fully justified given what teams like Munich and Barca have won. Your best passer needs to be in the MIDDLE of everything you do, to do that he needs to played there. I can't believe there are people who still debate that he's fine stuck out there. I think he'd be deadly with Conway & King on the wings to aim for... If King (mr glass) ever get's consistently fit.

87% Pass Success...

Can't be trusted to play CM.

Passing is only half the requirement in midfield. Does squawk show his tackle success?

imo to move cairney into centre mid would likely necessitate playing a version of 4-5-1 and that would mean dropping either Rhodes or Gestede.

Archived