BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Caravans

• 2 weeks later...

The father-in-law has a caravan maintenance/repair business if anybody is interested or needs any work doing ;-)

Considering getting a VW camper myself. Not an old classic one....probably a T4 or T5. I just fancy giving it a go.

Now that I no longer have to worry about people intentionally pouring petrol on threads, it's confession time. :)

I was brought up a caravanner. We're not just talking about somebody who did the occasional Easter bank holiday, but my parents were full on ralliers, spending sometime 40+ weekends a year with anywhere from 10 to 3,000 caravans, normally in a random field with no other facilities provided than a water tap and an elsan pit.

As a kid and younger teen is was actually really good fun, I had a close group of friends I'd see most weekends and a large extended group you'd see once every few months. Whilst I was a keen runner, it's was their "sports rallies" that resulted in briefly being good enough to represent Lancashire in U18s volleyball (we never played at school, but it was pretty popular on the rallies), it was also the start of me becoming an "organiser" through their junior committees etc. I also learnt to sail through them and purchase my first proper boat from a fellow rallier.I still have a lot of good close friends from those days. Oh and for inbetweeners fans, certainly bits of it were aligned with the on-screen version Jay is so found of.

Would I want to be involved now? Hell no. It's not because of the concept of it (to be fair, there was a lot of sitting around BBQs with a beer, a pastime I could fully get behind). It's because as I grew older I realised it attracted a type of person I really disliked (my parents and many of their friends being exceptions), middle aged, white, elitstist, right wing, daily mail reading bigots. People who'd happily spend £100,000 on a caravan and the same again on a Land Rover disco, but wouldn't dream of dropping a few coins in the big issue seller's cup (not everyone was like that I hasten to add, just enough of them to make it unpleasant).

As for what caravanners are like on roads, it's pretty much like car drivers. Just as those of us who spend our lives commuting hate the lack of roadcraft and sheer stupidity of the "Sunday drivers" who make bank holiday travel hell, so do ralliers despise the once-or-twice a year brigade who hammer down the motorway with no stabaliser, end up getting stuck in convoys on country lanes with an utter disregard for what's behind them and generally give the rest of the the shocking reputation they have.

So, there you go, former caravannaer and rather fond memories

Piky Glenn

You only dare say that now!

....... Mind you I don't blame you Abbey...that woolly liberally, yoghurt knitting, tree hugging pinko's had it coming for some time! ^_^

......It's because as I grew older I realised it attracted a type of person I really disliked (my parents and many of their friends being exceptions), middle aged, white, elitstist, right wing, daily mail reading bigots. People who'd happily spend £100,000 on a caravan and the same again on a Land Rover disco, but wouldn't dream of dropping a few coins in the big issue seller's cup (not everyone was like that I hasten to add, just enough of them to make it unpleasant).

Bloody hell! Leave out the Daily Mail bit and you've just described me! :tu:

*cough* guys, Wen hasn't remove my admin rights yet :)

As for caravan rallying, actually Gordon, don't take this wrong way (it's not meant as the insult it seems to be), but I can imagine you would fit in really really well. Certainly a lot better than I would nowadays.

*cough* guys, Wen hasn't remove my admin rights yet :)

As for caravan rallying, actually Gordon, don't take this wrong way (it's not meant as the insult it seems to be), but I can imagine you would fit in really really well. Certainly a lot better than I would nowadays.

Ooops!

Caravan rally? Nah... I want to sleep in a bed not a cot.

Strangely though whilst a caravan appeals to me as much as a dose of the clap I do rather envy those water gypsies who live in narrow boats on the canal.

Don't caravan myself but a friend of mine swears by a site up in Garstang, don't know if that helps or not.

Oh and another place called Windy Harbour up in Blackpool.

I take it that the caravans that were in Windy Harbour last week will now be enjoying those facilities at Garstang?..... whilst the owners walk back for their cars! ^_^

Archived