BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sir Terry Pratchett. Has left with Death.

Sir Terry,the author of the fantastical Disc world series of books passed away last night at home with his family.

As one of his characters Foul ol Ron would say; "Buggrit Buggrit, milenium hand and shrimp"!

RIP Sir Terry. :(

The man who resparked my love of reading in my late teens. A genuis wit and thoroughly nice guy by all accounts.

It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it. - Terry Pratchett

ObLink to quotes - http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2015/mar/12/terry-pratchett-in-quotes-15-of-the-best

BTW If we have a Pterry fans who are actually rather geeky (or a clacks operator), pay very close attention to the http (not html) header on this site :)

The man who resparked my love of reading in my late teens. A genuis wit and thoroughly nice guy by all accounts.

It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it. - Terry Pratchett

ObLink to quotes - http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2015/mar/12/terry-pratchett-in-quotes-15-of-the-best

BTW If we have a Pterry fans who are actually rather geeky (or a clacks operator), pay very close attention to the http (not html) header on this site :)

How would I check that Glenn? (Budding Clacks operator!)

Loved this quote; The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it. – from Monstrous Regiment

Remember "GNU John Dearheart" living in the overhead? Well currently lots of web servers (including ours), in their equivalent of the overhead (the handshake between website and web browser, which isn't shown to the user) are currently announcing "GNU Terry Pratchett".

• Backroom

I haven't ever read his stuff, but the amount he wrote was incredible. Not only that, but for his output to have such consistent quality (judging by his enduring popularity) is one hell of an achievement - not to mention creating such a huge world and managing to bind it together through so many iterations, even when he was battling alzheimers. Truly remarkable, I sometimes struggle to get a chapter done a month and regularly forget parts of my own novelscape which is tiny in comparison to his. An incredibly talented writer.

I haven't ever read his stuff, but the amount he wrote was incredible. Not only that, but for his output to have such consistent quality (judging by his enduring popularity) is one hell of an achievement - not to mention creating such a huge world and managing to bind it together through so many iterations, even when he was battling alzheimers. Truly remarkable, I sometimes struggle to get a chapter done a month and regularly forget parts of my own novelscape which is tiny in comparison to his. An incredibly talented writer.

You really should read his stuff DE. The colour of magic is the first of the disc world series and dates back to 1985(I think). Like most authors his later books are the best in terms of writing style, character development, etc etc but wherever you start you're in for a treat!

• Backroom

You really should read his stuff DE. The colour of magic is the first of the disc world series and dates back to 1985(I think). Like most authors his later books are the best in terms of writing style, character development, etc etc but wherever you start you're in for a treat!

I may well do that. Have been looking for something new to read lately! Funnily enough there are some writers who I feel did their best work early in their career, as you can sense the enthusiasm spilling off the page in their first novels but notice a more formulaic approach as they get older. Alternatively you have writers like Dan Brown who can only write based on formula.

I was recommended by a friend to read Terry Pratchett a few years ago but only got round to starting about a year ago. Enjoying every minute.

I also quite liked the tv movies of ''Colour of Magic'' and ''Going Postal''.

His Discworld books are what I will read ufn. The Johnny Maxwell trilogy is good too.

I've just seen the documentary he did revisting the orangutans.

A class act and genuinely humourous.

RIP

Archived