BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Ultimate Warrior has died :(

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Norbert

And not a charity for animals based on grappling men in pants :D.

So wrestling is like a Steven Segal film then?

And did any of the fans here watch Wrestlemania whilst holding up a hom made sign saying John 3:16 on it?

• Backroom

I go to local wrestling in Preston and it's fantastic

It's basically athletic panto but a great night out, some ridiculously talented athletes as well.

There seems to be a line of thinking that people who enjoy it don't realise it's all fake, of course we know the outcomes are pre determined but it doesn't stop it being a good spectacle with true athleticism

• Backroom

And sometimes the script shocks us! Ie: the streak ending.

But it also gives you some very emotional moments. Wrestlers retiring/dying is often more of a tear-jerker for me than any other celebrities.

• Backroom

But the play acting is so ridiculously puerile that even "entertainment" is pushing at the limits.

Tbf that's why I love it. It's so stupid. I think Tom's 'panto' description is very apt actually. Excites and interests my inner child :)

I did some wrestling for while a few years back and was trained by Jake "The Snake" Roberts and I liked the way he described it. It is not fake it is predetermined and the best way to explain it is that it is an athletic soap opera.

To call it fake is not fair, yes you are trained how to fall and the finish is predetermined but there is a lot of wear and tear on the body and to do it to decent level takes a lot of hard work and training. You have to be athletic, be able to act, be strong etc.

Until you have tried it you can not imagine how hard and taxing it is on your body I only did it on and off for a couple of years. But I am still living with injuries from doing it they I will never fully recover from.

On a lighter note 3 points for Rovers Saturday would be good !

• Backroom

I wrestled for 35 years and the rubbish on TV is 100% fake.

Surely you mean you competed in the sport rather than playing a tv character? I certainly wouldn't tell Mick Foley it was fake. Nor Kurt Angle or Stone Cold or Bret Hart. Especially not the Hart family as a whole, actually.

I read a while back that a 'standard' 20 minute match (ie: not a main event match, but nor an 'enhancement talent' match) puts the body through an equivalent of 5 minor car crashes.

Now doing that probably 3 or 4 times a week, plus 3hrs training on other days plus travelling, you'd have to be VERY fit and possibly fitter than many genuine sportsmen! Though maybe that's a Q for Maj.

• Backroom

Not 100% fake abbey I saw a guy break his neck 2 feet in front of me last month

It's not wresting as in the sport no of course it's not as it's not sport it's 'sports entertainment' there is no competing in that the better competitor wins, but it is what it is and duff bears explanation is fair as can be.

Whatever you want to call it, a panto, a dance, a load of rubbish I still enjoy the spectacle of it and there's bloody talented guys doing of it and we are going through a bit of a revival in the UK and I wouldn't be surprised to see British wrestling back on our screens.

We are all made differently though you couldn't pay me to go to a gig I get no enjoyment from them, other people love them.

• Backroom

I think my best 'reasoning' is my dad. He loves boxing and occasionally watches UFC, but he's gone off them because the guys are dull and cut from the same cloth for the most part.

He loves WWE (and WCW back in the 90's and whatever else he watched way back when) simply because the drama is never missing and, while not a sport, they're incredibly athletic and we see them do larger-than-life stunts that simply have no place in sport.

• Backroom

Mike!!!

I wish you'd give over, your enthusiasm is selling it to me, i'm genuinely tempted to give WWE a real go and try and get into it a little.

Now (sarcasm or not) is a good time to try it out if you like this kind of crap, as it looks like a new 'generation' is coming through, with the likes of:

Daniel Bryan, Cesaro, Big E, all 3 'Shield' members and the 3 'Wyatt Family' members.

• Backroom

UFC dull and wwwf or whatever it is now isnt ?

oh ok,

Can we not agree that people enjoy different things?

After all you love a couple of real sports that millions upon millions find dull

• Backroom

I was referring to football as well

By the way Monday night raw is week on week the highest rated show on cable in America

And Bieber sells millions upon millions of records....

No accounting for taste or personal preference

• Backroom

Don't forget OneDirection :/

wasn't being sarcastic, next time im flicking through the channels and its on, ill give it a go.

I may even see if I can download the wrestlemania event from the other night!

If you manage to download it, make sure you check out the reaction to the Lesnar/Undertaker match. Not the MatchOfTheNight (as Taker usually provides) but the truest and best reaction to a match in years!

Archived