SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Xbox 360

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ring up the Game in Hull, they have them n and are sending them out to home addresses in England. I bought mine on New Years Eve from there. They made me buy 3 games minimum with it, which i had no complaints about as the tax man was paying for it, lol.

Iv had no problems with it over-heating etc, i'm just annoyed that i can't get my X-Box Live to work.

I think i'll have to buy the PS3 when that comes out as well.

Any one know when that is coming out?

375599[/snapback]

Why whats up with it i had a problem at beginning but that was because hadnt portforwards the ports it used to it from router and plus gotta make sure firewall lets it threw aswell

The ports needed are below

xbox360 (TCP/UDP) 3074

xbox360-1 (TCP/UDP) 88

my bet for PS3 is Early 2007

375626[/snapback]

Spokesman for Pioneer (manufacturers of the Blu-Ray drive) claim there will be 4-7million PS3s shipped this year. Like the Xbox 360, it may well be another six months after launch before most people can get their hands on them. mad.gif

I've seen reports suggesting it will be a staggered release with Japan late summer this year, the US around Novemeber then us poor 2nd rate Europeans around March next year.

Hope it's not true as I want the 360 to come down in price sooner.

376258[/snapback]

I've read that the ps3 is banking on the less minded gamers who will think that blue-ray will be the better for games in years to come.

but turns out games atm only use 4gb compared to 1gb wen first came out(xbox)

http://www.gamesfirst.com/?id=1132

Also the ps3 is surpose to be in the price range off £400-£500

Edited by thebigguy

The ps3 isn't going to be any cheaper when it first comes out.

376376[/snapback]

PS3 might actually be worth it. The 360 is 'just' a games console, but the PS3 will be half the price of the cheapest dedicated Blu-Ray player when it comes out.

I've read that the ps3 is banking on the less minded gamers who will think that blue-ray will be the better for games in years to come.

but turns out games atm only use 4gb compared to 1gb wen first came out(xbox)

http://www.gamesfirst.com/?id=1132

Also the ps3 is surpose to be in the price range off £400-£500

376384[/snapback]

That link is nonsense. You won't find many game developers who are happy with having to squeeze their code onto a DVD. Look at GTA San Andreas - a PS2 title that's absolutely crammed onto a standard DVD. With high-def graphic data and better quality sound on the new-gen consoles, you couldn't do a game like that on a single 360 DVD.

The only reason 360 uses ordinary DVDs is because it was rushed to market. Too late to change anything now but the kind of games that will be possible on PS3 will make their 360 equivalents look weak.

PS I'm no fanboy. I'll probably have both of them, plus a Revolution.

That's rubbish as well. I've only seen 2 or 3 games that can't fit on a single sided single layered disk which means most of them are "squeezed" under 4.3gb.

If the developers really needed that extra space, they could have developed up to 9.6GB by using a double layer disk. Therefore, not many developers are using all the capacity that is available to them now let alone needing the space of a blue-ray or hd-dvd disk.

Edited by Biddy

That's rubbish as well.  I've only seen 2 or 3 games that can't fit on a single sided single layered disk which means most of them are "squeezed" under 4.3gb. 

If the developers really needed that extra space, they could have developed up to 9.6GB by using a double layer disk.  Therefore, not many developers are using all the capacity that is available to them now let alone needing the space of a blue-ray or hd-dvd disk.

376733[/snapback]

Nope, you're wrong. If you're looking for a leap in quality to truly justify the term 'next-gen' then you need to set developers free from current storage limitations. Sure, not many have run into problems with standard DVDs on the last generation of consoles, but now you're talking about faster machines with several times the memory, running high-def textures and streaming 5.1 channel audio as standard.

DVD is no longer enough for that.

Well DD5.1 is already a standard on the XBOX and as I've already said, developers aren't using all the storage that's at their disposal right now.

And high-res textures fir consoles won't make that much difference. Look at PC games for a comparison. They already run up to 1600x1400 way above the High Def resolutions and the current crop still don't use that much space when fully instaaled to the hard drive.

for example, games on my HD at the moment:-

F.E.A.R - 4.8GB

Half Life 2 - 4.27GB

Quake 4 - 2.42GB

I honestly believe that the hype behind Blue-Ray on the PS3 and possibly HD-DVD coming to XBOX360 are just that, hype. The only real need for that much stoage will be for Hi-Def movies, which actually might be wnat ends up taking all the space in games. Just like the early days of PC CD-ROM games, I can see developers filling the disk full of Hi-Def cut scenes with little content.

Just looking at the current XBOX360 games, they don't appear to be breaking the limits of a standard dual layer DVD just yet either.

Call of Duty 2 - 7GB

GUN - 6.8GB

Dead or Alive 4 - 5GB

King Kong 6.3GB

Just looking at the current XBOX360 games, they don't appear to be breaking the limits of a standard dual layer DVD just yet either.

Call of Duty 2 - 7GB

GUN - 6.8GB

Dead or Alive 4 - 5GB

King Kong 6.3GB

376881[/snapback]

Out of those, the only one that looks massively better than anything on Xbox 1 is Call Of Duty - and if a short, simple war game produced for 360's launch eats 7GB, it looks like developers will run our of space sooner rather than later.

Most importantly for gamers, the best title of this generation (GTA) won't be possible on 360 if Rockstar keeps to its promise of making full use of the space on a Blu-Ray disc.

Remember when Bill Gates claimed that '640k ought to be enough for anybody'? And the Commodore 64 used an elephant in its adverts, to show how gargantuan its memory was? And it seemed like there was absolutely no way you could ever fill a 20MB hard drive?

Most importantly for gamers, the best title of this generation (GTA) won't be possible on 360 if Rockstar keeps to its promise of making full use of the space on a Blu-Ray disc.

376991[/snapback]

Interesting that they think they will go from under 4.3GB which was San Andreas to using a full 50GB on Blu-Ray. Not entirely sure what they are going to fill it with other than then entire back catalogue of every radio station around.

Don't get me wrong though, if developers do need the space then fair enough as long as they fill it with quality. I just don't want them going back to filling the space for the sake of filling it.

Of course they may fill up a Blu-ray in the early days just to slow down piracy due to writers being too expensive and dual layer media not being available. Surely that wouldn't be the only reason they would fill their disks?

Edited by Biddy

It's strange that you're all claiming this stuff isn't necessary. You should work for Nintendo - they say that flashy HD graphics aren't necessary. In fact, they used to say that CDs weren't necessary either.

You're into gaming, right? Someone's offering you a tech that might just facilitate a new kind of immersiveness in games... So why say it's pointless simply because Microsoft wasn't able to adopt it? If they had waited six or eight months before launching the 360, they would have used HD-DVD. Would you have said that was a waste of money or a great piece of forward thinking?

I'm not saying it's pointless. I am saying that they should use it IF they need to. I just don't want to see them filling space with tat for the sake of filling space.

All in all, I just don't believe that HD-DVD or Blu-ray will be the revolution in gaming that Sony seem to be playing on for people to go for the PS3. The only early advantage for the PS3 is that it will play High-Def films.

Edited by Biddy

Also it has to be remembered that this battle isn't limited simply to consoles but is much bigger than that. Several companies are battling over the future of all dvds. The xbox 360 is a good console, it's out and when I've played it I've been really impressed, that is really all that I care about.

True. And by the time the next HD movie format has been decided, companies will want to sell us something else. Seen these HVD discs? One terabyte of storage. We'll be playing games on a Star Trek holodeck soon enough.

Edited by M-K

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.