Guest Kamy100

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kamy100
It could be £100 and I would still buy a PS3

339630[/snapback]

biggrin.gif Same here, it will have to be extremely good to make me even consider purchasing it. However, Kataguri (maker of PS3) has already gone on record to say that the PS3 will be a premuim machine and therefore will have a premium price. I think it is going to cost well over £350.

I'll be buying one, but I'll probably wait a year or so for more games to come out and the price to fall under £200 (for the hard drive version)

339659[/snapback]

... and until it's stabalised at hardware revision 4, software revions 12.2 (release candiate 4).

smile.gif

I do find it odd the MS are openly admitting the early units won't be as fully featured as the later ones, it doesn't exactly make you want to rush out and buy the early ones does it.

I never understand people who buy consoles straight away, there's very few games available and the ones that are tend to be poor.

I always wait at least a year until there's a decent selection available, and of course until it's cheaper.

... and until it's stabalised at hardware revision 4, software revions 12.2 (release candiate 4).

smile.gif

I do find it odd the MS are openly admitting the early units won't be as fully featured as the later ones, it doesn't exactly make you want to rush out and buy the early ones does it.

339660[/snapback]

Yeah but they are trying to rush it out way ahead of the PS3 so that people will (they hope) get bored of waiting and just buy the XBOX360 instead.

LeChuck Posted Yesterday, 17:13

I never understand people who buy consoles straight away, there's very few games available and the ones that are tend to be poor.

I always wait at least a year until there's a decent selection available, and of course until it's cheaper.

I know what your saying but I bought the Master System/MegaDrive/Mega CD/Saturn (Yes, I was a Sega fan) and Playstation 2 all in the first month that the came out and had no regrets whatsoever in doing so however, I think it was at the same time I was rabbiting on about the Mega CD to a pal he said that he was off to buy an Atari Jaguar laugh.gif Funniest console ever biggrin.gif

I think it was at the same time I was rabbiting on about the Mega CD to a pal he said that he was off to buy an Atari Jaguar  laugh.gif  Funniest console ever  biggrin.gif

339741[/snapback]

The Jaguar was very funny. 16 Bit CPU with a 64 bit GPU (Graphic Processor) does not make it a 64-bit console in my eyes. However, other than the dodgey marketing claim, hardware wise it wasn't a bad bit of kit, but like so many consoles it was let down by poor software. The fave console of the era was the 3DO, fantastic hardware with a few good games but a marketing disaster (BTW, I'm after a 3DO if anyone has one hidden in thier loft).

The 360 has the most amazing light synth thing built in - rip a CD or plug in an iPod and four people can 'jam' to the music with colours and shapes. It's the only reason I want one.

On the subject of doomed consoles - I managed to avoid Jaguar and 3DO but I did buy a Virtual Boy. And a Neo Geo Pocket.

The 360 has the most amazing light synth thing built in - rip a CD or plug in an iPod and four people can 'jam' to the music with colours and shapes. It's the only reason I want one.

On the subject of doomed consoles - I managed to avoid Jaguar and 3DO but I did buy a Virtual Boy. And a Neo Geo Pocket.

339767[/snapback]

Virtual Boys were going for a bomb on ebay back in the days I was selling lots of retro computing stuff.

I'd have quite like a Neo Geo Pocket, pretty much a full Neo-Geo cabinet in a handheld console. Thankfull Mame does Neo Geo very well (and Neo Drift Out still rocks smile.gif ).

I'd have quite like a Neo Geo Pocket, pretty much a full Neo-Geo cabinet in a handheld console. Thankfull Mame does Neo Geo very well (and Neo Drift Out still rocks smile.gif ).

339776[/snapback]

Lik-Sang has the colour version with six games for under £40. You wouldn't mistake the graphics for the proper Neo Geo console but the joystick is great and it does your daily biorythm horoscope if you switch it on without a cartridge in it.

Is it true the PS3 will be 2x more powerful than X box 360 and something like 15x more than the Nintendo? It says it on a number of website, but someone i know says Sony and Microsoft etc always try n promote their consoles by giving false figures etc? Does anyone actually know which machine will be best?

I think it's all going to be very subjective, just like it is now with the xbox and PS2. Technically the XBOX is superior (and because of the hard drive can do far far more than the PS2 if chipped) but the PS2 challenges very well and has a hard core following who wouldn't touch the XBOX.

Both of the new machines will have amazing power (assuming Sony settle on a final specification) that will be initially limited by the developers who will need time to get to grips with the new technology to get the most out of it. Also we will be limitated by our TV's themselves. It's all very well have the best graphics chips in the world offering the best resolutions, but if no one on this country has HDTV's, then you won't get the full benefit.

Just like the current consoles, we probably won't see the best from them for a couple of years.

Are MS still sticking with DVD for their XBOX? Or are they opting for HD-DVD?

Sony are going Blu-Ray on their PS3, might be a useful way to get a Blu-Ray player biggrin.gif

340041[/snapback]

Early Xbox360s will have std DVDs, later ones will have HD-DVD, seem silly doesn't it !

Guest Kamy100

I am thinking of getting a HDTV. However know nothing about them, does have anyone have some advice on what models are good. Also is it true that the tube has to be changed after a certain amount of use?

As ever any help would be appreciated.

Kamy, HDTV is purely a new Higher Definition for the screen. Just like PC monitors can do higher resolutions, HDTV's can show higher resolutions compared to standard TV's.

Currently, PAL DVD has a can have a resolution of 720x576. The HDTV standards can be 1280x720 or 1920x1080 so effectively twice the resolution of a standard DVD so pictures should be significantly better.

So HDTV is just a standard that TV should be able to display. Watch out for some that brag "HDTV Ready" TV's as most of these are hybrids and will not be true HDTV. More Info Here

With regards to the TV's and the Tube issue you asked about, it looks like there will be three main types with large screen HDTV. LCD, Plasma and Projection all have their plus points and minus points.

I believe the "tube" issue you are talking about is with people's belief that Plasma's need maintenance after a short period. This has been talked about as 32,000 hrs on some models. This actually equates to 6 hours veiwing per day for 16 years. Something most TV's never aspire to.

There was quite a good discussion on the three types (but mainly Plasma and LCD) at digital spy here

Edited by Biddy

Regarding Xbox 360 and PS3, since the majority of users aren't going to have access to HDTV, at least not for the first couple of years (by which time Microsoft may be ready to upgrade again!) early games on the 360 are likely to look better than the equivalent on PS3. The PS3 will support a higher HDTV resolution, but the 360 will do 4x anti-aliasing as standard. Smoother-looking graphics. Plus the 360's GPU is better suited to texture-rich, high-geometry environments, compared to the PS3's which will be better for pixel shaders (eg the Doom 3 engine).

Me, a console geek?

The 360 will be able to connect to a monitor. As for the PS3 I'm not sure.

340200[/snapback]

PS3 has dual-head output at 1080p, plus every other hd/dvi output you could want. It's something else.

i'll be gettign xbox it can play the older games i heard and y not get the console at beginning

They wasnt going to put hard drive in but had to to make it backwards compatible wit older games

free xbox live

if connected to internet be able to download software updates for ya xbox

so way internet and software is coming they cud off set the xbox to auto check for software upgrades wen goes online

on raw power the xbox 360 even beats the ps3 liek 100 times on the bandwidth side

xbox 360 has a 3 core processor with each core runnign at 3ghz or over wen ps3 has 1 core

Xbox 360 can be conencted to pc as standard and can load ya mp3's vides and pictures from pc onto xbox 360 because xbox 360 is a media center aswell

Also uk will be changing to hdtv mode in the next year or already goign to it so be fully hdtv in like a few years after wen they store the older ones that using atm

Yeah i luv me technology which helps make life easy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.