BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nintendo Revolution

Seen this? It's Nintendo's entry into the next-gen console market and it works like a mouse in 3D space. You can point, swing, tilt, wave, twist or use it like an ordinary controller. Looks stylish as hell too - miles nicer than the PS3 or 360 controllers. You've got to check it out, it's the most amazing thing ever. Loads of pics and videos on this site:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html

IMO a controller cant be changed anymore than what they currently are, purely for ease of use factor.

Scenario #1

Imagine being smashed out your face trying to play a game with one of THEM. Someone will think your too trolleyed to turn the tv over cos it looks like a remote!! you cant beat the dualshock 2 in my eyes

One of the key points with that thing is that the majority of people never play videogames at all, and the most significant barrier to entry is the current controller setup. They're fine for you and me and other people who've either grown up with joypads or are prepared to spend time learning to use them, but for your mum, your girlfriend, the blokes down the pub who only ever play Golden Tee...

When you're used to gaming, it's easy to forget how intimidating it must be to be handed a controller that, to the uninitiated, looks like something out of an aircraft flight deck.

Shaping the controller like a TV remote should help get the console out of teenagers' bedrooms and into the living room. And imagine playing a tennis game where you actually 'bat' the ball, or a strategy game where you select units by pointing at them, or a first-person game where you look around by waving your hand.

Edited by M-K

• 6 months later...

They just released a bit more info:

It plays games for any Nintendo console (NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube) plus its own titles. And Sega Mega Drive stuff too! And PC Engine / TurboGrafx. If they announce it also does Dreamcast games, I might have to log off and go clean myself up.

They just released a bit more info:

It plays games for any Nintendo console (NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube) plus its own titles. And Sega Mega Drive stuff too! And PC Engine / TurboGrafx. If they announce it also does Dreamcast games, I might have to log off and go clean myself up.

392979[/snapback]

To be honest, I find going back to play a game you love can sometimes spoil it. I sat in a pub a few months back raving about games such as Sonic - Streets of Rage - Gauntlet - Bombjack - Super Mario - Dizzy and so on then, I got so excited about them I decided to get a couple of emulators - how I wish I had left them where they were. I can remeber sitting there for ages trying to guide that summersalting egg accross ledges I now found my self really board after about 15 minutes.

Just let sleeping dogs lye and look to the future - Playstation 5 anyone?

Edited by Cocker

I think it looks good, tho obviously the main thing will be how they apply all of the things the controller can do to games. nintendo should be at least aplauded for having the guts to try something new rather than just follow the same formula over and over again with the only differences being the technology available at the time.

One of the key points with that thing is that the majority of people never play videogames at all, and the most significant barrier to entry is the current controller setup. They're fine for you and me and other people who've either grown up with joypads or are prepared to spend time learning to use them, but for your mum, your girlfriend, the blokes down the pub who only ever play Golden Tee...

laugh.gif i agree with this too, the missus will play video games with me sometimes but in the main she's not interested, having a controller like this that involves you more in the game is something that I can imagine her enjoying more.

you have to say this is like the 3rd thing they ended up adding which sony and microsoft have ended up adding to there consoles(rumble pack is one)

393501[/snapback]

As is anolouge control.And online gaming although Nintendo pulled the plug on this during the nes' lifespan cause of dissintrest in Japan

Edited by Nelsta

As is anolouge control.And online gaming although Nintendo pulled the plug on this during the nes' lifespan cause of dissintrest in Japan

393512[/snapback]

As far as I'm aware, the first console to ship with an analogue controller was the Atari 5200, in 1982. There were loads of 'TV game' systems that had analogue controllers in the 1970s, but for the most part they only played a few built-in games and so do not fit the modern definition of a console.

Online - the NES, SNES and N64 all had online services but I'd class the Dreamcast as the first console with out-of-the-box online functionality.

I'm a big fan of Nintendo, but they do seem to get credit for a lot of things they never invented.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.