BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] West Ham V Blackburn

Yobs are easily defined. They're unpleasant little oiks- almost exclusively male, who are drunk going into games, insist on standing despite the law, get lary and give the ever-endearing "£2 an hour" chant to the stewards, and come on here claiming victimisation when they're thrown out.

This is interesting Jan, it appears that you may include me within that. And I am not a "yob".

Male - yes

Drunk at games - as that would be illegal I shall say no

Standing - yes

Lary - I shout and rant at football, yes.

£2 an hour chant - no not ever

Kicked out - no not ever

Victimisation - never claimed that, have been for a sensible and productive discussion with the ground staff though after the Middlesbrough fiasco last season.

So, I meet most of those criteria, but specifically the standing one (I specifically chose my seat as I am not in anyone's way), does that make me a "yob"?

Glad Reading, for one, are getting it right.

Yobs are easily defined. They're unpleasant little oiks- almost exclusively male, who are drunk going into games, insist on standing despite the law, get lary and give the ever-endearing "£2 an hour" chant to the stewards, and come on here claiming victimisation when they're thrown out.

Jan.........You forgot to include 'with a complete lack of interest in events on the pitch and football in general coupled with very little knowledge of the game'.

:tu:

BUT given that I'm certainly not against standing areas only pig ignorant people standing in seated areas.

Edited by thenodrog

• 5 weeks later...

Just to let you know that we're going ahead with our protest on Sunday.

We had thought we'd postpone it, but since WHU have decided to ban some fans for two games for persistant standing, it is now very much on.

Red cards will be distributed outside the ground and we're asking that fans hold them up while the players are shaking hands just before kick

We hope that this will raise awareness of our objectives and perhaps get us some media interest.

The protest is not confined to WHU fans, you'd be more than welcome to join in should you so wish.

Many of the comments on this thread seem to be trying to work out how those that wish to stand and those that don't can co-exist in the same stand. It's fairly obvious to me that they can't, but surely most clubs can segregate an area of the ground for standing use? Then all those who want to stand and sing can be together with their mates (and therefore probably make more noise and improve the general atmosphere for everyone, as long as they refrain from the two quid an hour chants or some of the racist stuff we've heard in recent weeks). Everyone else who wants to sit down for the majority of the match then won't have their view obscured at crucial times.

Was there anyone from SUSD represented on the discussion about standing on Five Live this morning? It was mentioned about the two WH fans being banned (a father and his 12 year old son I think? The dad gave his views). Can't see why there shouldn't be a debate about SAFE STANDING areas myself - I'm sure there may be reasons why they aren't practical at every ground but I would agree that it would make perfect sense at other grounds. If that's how things develop, I can see how fans at (say) Bolton might chime up with 'If fans can stand at Blackburn, then why can't we?' but that's the next step.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.