BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] West Ham V Blackburn

Good Afternoon

Just to let you know that two West Ham supporters approached us yesterday and asked for our support in a small protest they're planning on the day of our forthcoming game. The protest will be held outside the ground and will have no effect on the game itself.

The main aim of this protest is to persuade our club (and hopefully others) that they should be speaking out, on behalf of their fans, in favour of safe standing areas. Many supporters are feeling increasingly alienated from their clubs as they feel strongly that the somtimes heavy handed enforcement of the regulations have a detrimental effect on the atmosphere that being a part of is integral to their support of their club. Indeed, the two supporters behind this protest have decided that they will no longer attend games at the Boleyn.

Of course we understand that the regulations have to enforced but since the Chief Executive of the Premier League has recently said that he feels that some standing should be tolerated we feel strongly that rather than merely hold their hands up and say "we don't want to do this, but we have to" clubs should be lobbying the Government for at the very least a proper and open debate on the issue of standing and giving supporters choice.

The Football Foundation - funded in part by the Government and the FA - have also recently called upon the Government to readdress their stance on safe standing in our football grounds.

Any Blackburn supporters who are in support of choice and also feel that atmospheres in grounds are suffering would be more than welcome to join us.

Just to clarify, we're not asking you to stand in the ground by way of support and the event will take place outside the ground before kick off.

If you'd like further details, please email me at info@standupsitdown.co.uk

Thanks for reading.

Amanda

Stand Up Sit Down

Could you imagine the stupid rules that could apply to future standing areas....like..

no standing within arms lenth of another individual, no jumping up and down, having to stay stood on your designated spot that matches to your ticket number, ooh i am sure we could think of some more. couldn't you?

I personally find that being stood or sat down makes no difference to my willingness to sing for the cause. So it confuses me when everyone else always seems to insist it does. What I do know is I missed Steven Reid's wonder strike at Wigan last season because some pratt stood up at the crucial second as it was struck and it was so bloody fast I only got up in time to see it smack the back of the net.

Edited by bluebruce

I personally find that being stood or sat down makes no difference to my willingness to sing for the cause. So it confuses me when everyone else always seems to insist it does. What I do know is I missed Steven Reid's wonder strike at Wigan last season because some pratt stood up at the crucial second as it was struck and it was so bloody fast I only got up in time to see it smack the back of the net.

it does change the atmosphere alot if everyones stood, as a big group can stay together and start off all the songs whereas if its seated everyone is usually split up from the group and its hard to get songs going. however when your allowed to sit your want at an away match it doesnt really matter.

Almost every Rovers fan stood for the entire game at Salzburg a week ago and the support generated was pretty impressive (particularly for the numbers and demographic)...you'd certainly want to be a part of it as a supporter. The 'old gate debate' and 'killing us' threads are ignoring what makes actually being in a stadium as opposed to anywhere else worthwhile - that is being part of the event not passively spectating.

I've been in Rovers support (home and away - after wins, losses and draws) when the players have genuinely responded to the backing they've received, not told to by their manager - recognition that supporters were intrinsic to the professional game. This is sadly no longer the way of things - we are now simply customers to be relieved of as many leisure pounds as is feasible.

Not ignoring the cost and TV factors regarding Ewood home attendance but the disillusionment and dislocation many feel could be blown away with the return of safe standing (novelty for younger fans, nostalgia for older). Maybe one day the Riverside terrace could be sloped instead of flat!

Good luck to the West Ham protest

May as well have a third thread on attendance (the other two are losing the plot anyway!) :tu:

and this is what you look like

IPB Image

quite impressive

Cricket and Rugby,to name but a couple of other sports, manage to create such a scenario.

I guess they've never been tainted with the hooligan element that made such a thing so dangerous.

One can't blame the authorities for being hesistant/reluctant in bringing back standing areas to PL stadia.

Almost every Rovers fan stood for the entire game at Salzburg a week ago and the support generated was pretty impressive (particularly for the numbers and demographic)...you'd certainly want to be a part of it as a supporter. The 'old gate debate' and 'killing us' threads are ignoring what makes actually being in a stadium as opposed to anywhere else worthwhile - that is being part of the event not passively spectating.

I've been in Rovers support (home and away - after wins, losses and draws) when the players have genuinely responded to the backing they've received, not told to by their manager - recognition that supporters were intrinsic to the professional game. This is sadly no longer the way of things - we are now simply customers to be relieved of as many leisure pounds as is feasible.

Not ignoring the cost and TV factors regarding Ewood home attendance but the disillusionment and dislocation many feel could be blown away with the return of safe standing (novelty for younger fans, nostalgia for older). Maybe one day the Riverside terrace could be sloped instead of flat!

Good luck to the West Ham protest

May as well have a third thread on attendance (the other two are losing the plot anyway!) :tu:

I don't see how people would be persuaded to go for 35 quid standing tickets any more than 35 quid seated. And again, I've never felt that standing makes me any more or any less part of the action. My heart and my head are in the action- not my feet or backside. The only one of those standing or sitting is likely to interfere with is the vision my head provides if some tall git stands in front of me. A la that Reid goal I missed.

BP - the big net and railings aren't essential to the safe standing concept...

BB - your heart and head still function if you're on your feet! Missing Reidy's screamer at Wigan obviously still rankles with you but why deny some fans the right to enjoy their matchday experience standing ( I admit, it isn't for everyone nor would it be compulsory).

<And again, I've never felt that standing makes me any more or any less part of the action.>

Most would tend to disagree with this, it is far easier to support actively from on your feet. Active supporting is more fun (and even a spectacle for those other, more passive spectators) and enhances the atmosphere in the ground and for the all-important TV viewer. It is also a differentiating factor as regards 'supporting' a team via electronic media.

i still dont understand why they are so strict on it

its ######, what is the problem if the people behind you are cool with it

The trouble is, a lot of the time they aren't and feel intimidated by the yobs doing it ( when politely asked to sit down they're more likely to spew out invective than say "that's fine"). There are seats there for a reason. Once there aren't you can stand up. Till then, obey the law or get thrown out. Happy for either to happen.

The trouble is, a lot of the time they aren't and feel intimidated by the yobs doing it ( when politely asked to sit down they're more likely to spew out invective than say "that's fine"). There are seats there for a reason. Once there aren't you can stand up. Till then, obey the law or get thrown out. Happy for either to happen.

Jan, that is why we're campaigning for seperate areas; we're just as much about those who wish to sit and enjoy the game as we are about those who wish to stand.

As to your comment that you're happy for "either to happen" from the feedback we get, I don't think it is too dramatic to say that football could potentially be losing a whole generation of supporters. Of course ticket prices and other factors play their part in fans not attending live matches but there are plenty of people out there who can afford the prices and aren't put off by kick off times to suit TV who are choosing not to attend because of the increasing sanitisation of the game. It seems to be that you can only support your club now on the terms of the club, joining in with blaring music 10 minutes before kick off, celebrating a goal with Tom Hark drowning out the roar of the crowd and so on.

Of course some clubs can afford to lose supporters and clubs lower down the leagues are perhaps benefitting from those turning their back on the commerciliasation of the Premiership but what about the rest of them? one day I can see plenty of scratching of heads as the world of football wonders where the fans have gone..

Finally, Reading FC recently stated that for every "yob" they can get rid of, they'll attract a family of four. (Ok, you do the maths!) Trouble is, one persons passionate fan is another persons yob and therein lies the problem, in my humble opinion.

Jan, that is why we're campaigning for seperate areas; we're just as much about those who wish to sit and enjoy the game as we are about those who wish to stand.

As to your comment that you're happy for "either to happen" from the feedback we get, I don't think it is too dramatic to say that football could potentially be losing a whole generation of supporters. Of course ticket prices and other factors play their part in fans not attending live matches but there are plenty of people out there who can afford the prices and aren't put off by kick off times to suit TV who are choosing not to attend because of the increasing sanitisation of the game. It seems to be that you can only support your club now on the terms of the club, joining in with blaring music 10 minutes before kick off, celebrating a goal with Tom Hark drowning out the roar of the crowd and so on.

Of course some clubs can afford to lose supporters and clubs lower down the leagues are perhaps benefitting from those turning their back on the commerciliasation of the Premiership but what about the rest of them? one day I can see plenty of scratching of heads as the world of football wonders where the fans have gone..

Finally, Reading FC recently stated that for every "yob" they can get rid of, they'll attract a family of four. (Ok, you do the maths!) Trouble is, one persons passionate fan is another persons yob and therein lies the problem, in my humble opinion.

Glad Reading, for one, are getting it right.

Yobs are easily defined. They're unpleasant little oiks- almost exclusively male, who are drunk going into games, insist on standing despite the law, get lary and give the ever-endearing "£2 an hour" chant to the stewards, and come on here claiming victimisation when they're thrown out.

You can be a passionate football supporter without being any of the above, and it's much more pleasant when you're surrounded by people displaying none (or at least very few) of the above tendencies.

However if you want to put them in a cage similar to the one above to keep the rest of us safe (because allowing people of such "minds" to stand together unfettered by seats is bound to encourage trouble) then I'm for it. In fact if you just don't unlock it and throw food into them occasionally, that would be better still!!! ;)

Edited by Jan

Jan, you're obviously not familiar with the stance of the safety officer and stewards at Reading. One whiff of booze on you're breath and you're not coming in. If they take a dislike to your attire, you're not coming in. They are particularly draconian.

I don't dispute you get some fans who get lary and have one too many before the game but frankly, I'd rather be sat near them then people who raise an eyebrow if you call the ref a ######, or want to start singing or dare to stand up for a second too long.

As for cages, that is the last think we want. Something along the German model would be ideal but in the meantime, we're trying to get a common sense solution to the problem - manage properly what already happens.

And finally, standing at football is not against the law, if it was then the police would arrest people for standing. It is against ground regulations.

Thanks to those of you who've already signed our petition and who actually understand what our aims are.

Stand Up Sit Down

Jan, you're obviously not familiar with the stance of the safety officer and stewards at Reading. One whiff of booze on you're breath and you're not coming in. If they take a dislike to your attire, you're not coming in. They are particularly draconian.

I don't dispute you get some fans who get lary and have one too many before the game but frankly, I'd rather be sat near them then people who raise an eyebrow if you call the ref a ######, or want to start singing or dare to stand up for a second too long.

As for cages, that is the last think we want. Something along the German model would be ideal but in the meantime, we're trying to get a common sense solution to the problem - manage properly what already happens.

And finally, standing at football is not against the law, if it was then the police would arrest people for standing. It is against ground regulations.

Thanks to those of you who've already signed our petition and who actually understand what our aims are.

Stand Up Sit Down

thats why most rovers fans who want to stand up go to back rows (if it aint sold out, which aint very often with rovers) and sing their hearts out for the whole game and the old folks and families (usually) sit at front and only sing if were winning.

but still stewards tell fans to sit down on the back row! why? you cant obstruct anyones view and everybody around you couldnt care less if your stood. yet stewards have to create problems and threaten you with ejection if you dont sit down through the whole match. i think before you get your tickets for matches you should specify if you want to stand or sit and if you want to stand your put further back on row 35 or sumit but if you want to sit you can be put on row 3 or 4.

If you fall, supposedly the gradient's steeper and your more likely to cause an avalanche effect. Than falling over would on a terrace.

The argument should be - Theres terracing in championship and lower league grounds, people dont die, or are you suggesting that premiership fans are too dense to stand up for a period of time.

Good stewarding and crowd control prevents injuries, not the watching position.

Me Id prefer to sit but i quite like standing at some games. It means if theres an irritating racist tit stood near you, you can move away and point him out ot the coppers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.