BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Website Design

OK guys I'm relying on your tips and advice here as always!

I have an old geocities website management account (it's crap I know) from seven years ago for my five-a-side football team. I 'stumbled' back on it (amazingly the site is still up there even though it hasnt had a visitor for six years!?!) and tried signing in to my geocities account to look back at good times. Anyway, it worked and I now fancy doing a 'where are they now' sort of site to reunite the squad.

I originally used Microsoft Frontpage to do all the designing, and Yahoo Geocities to host and manage it. However, I no longer have any access to Frontpage. I was wondering if anyone had any help they could offer me in webdesign as I do not have a clue what program to use to get a website up and running. The only criteria for this program are:

- It must be free (preferrably downloadable). PM me if you don't want to post a download link publicly.

- It must be pretty simple to use

I was going to post a thread earlier on the same subject.

I've got a webpage, but there's nothing on it.

Apparently i need a FTP client to put stuff on, and also need to learn a bit of HTML code.

Any advice would be grateful. :tu:

(I actually work in IT, but have never created a webpage :ph34r: )

Jim I don't know how it compares to the competition out there, but Yahoo Geocities is free and easy to use. You basically just register your site name (eg. www.geocities.com/jimj) and then you can monitor your websites stats, upload images and simply just browse for the files on your computer to put them all together on your file manager. Its making the bloody website that is providing my stumbling block. Out of interest which program did you use?

Many many moons ago this site was hosted on Geocities. something like www.geocities.com/colusseum/4664 !!

FTP, you don't need a client Jim, in your web browser simply type in ftp://ftp.theaddressofyoursite.com in it, you will be prompted for your username and password and it'll then show you your files within the browser.

Simply drag and drop files onto the browser screen to upload them.

IHB, If you know nothing about HTML, here's a place to start

I originally used Microsoft Frontpage to do all the designing, and Yahoo Geocities to host and manage it. However, I no longer have any access to Frontpage. I was wondering if anyone had any help they could offer me in webdesign as I do not have a clue what program to use to get a website up and running. The only criteria for this program are:

This might be for you:

www.nvu.com

• 3 years later...

Best tool for making web pages is by using notepad(never used anything but notepad)and loading the page through a internet browser :)

Also Heard that dreamweaver is a good program to use so i suggest you to look into this and give the free trial a look into(link below)

http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/

Enjoy

Like everything in life, it depends how professionally you're looking to go.

It seems a lifetime ago that I used a simple text editor to design static html websites. I certainly wouldn't recommend it these days for anything other than as a learning exercise.

If you really want to do it yourself, I suggest you get yourself some webhosting and a CMS (for example, BRFCS Hosting and WordPress), grab a free off the shelf theme and customise it to fit your needs.

Obviously, what I really recommend is getting a professional to do web design for you for (e.g. me, clare and I suspect El Trombo) but like most good things, we don't come cheap !

Firstly i wasnt joking about notepad(even though it might seem like i was)

I also have a website design that uses java and makes the website act like windows and does the taskbar/desktop/minimize/maximine/etc.

Was something i did about 4 year ago to see if it could be done. Will have to edit this post later with a couple of screenshots

Archived