BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 6 Years Since

I was at the University of Ulster open day with school. We came back in the afternoon and I ended up with a free period as my English teacher had a dental appointment. I went up the library where everyone was crowded around a TV. My friend turned to me and told me that two planes had just been flown into the WTC and that one of the towers had collapsed. My memories of being up there in July '01 were still fresh in my mind.

I was at one of the Rolls-Royce factories in the Midlands where there are strong transatlantic connections - other than the deep shock, the first question we asked was "do they know what they have done and how long this will influence the world situation?"

it seemed like a dream at the time and it still does. Not to understate it, but it really did floor me.

I couldn't dwell on it too long as I was working as a concierge at a hotel that not only housed Saudi, UAE and Kuwaiti royal families, but also many a business traveller whose offices were in the WTC itself. I was so busy dealing with people who were stranded at the hotel that I could not absorb much of what happened. I only got news from snippets of conversation and the next day's papers. In retrospect, I'm kind of glad I had to work that hard during the aftermath. It did seem to insulate me more than everyone else. Selfish, I know, but it was a mind-numbing thing to dwell on. It did hit me soon after when a few regular guests who the staff knew by name and vise versa no longer came to visit. looking at their business address and later confirmation from co-workers who knew them confirmed our worries. Very very sad day indeed. It's a shame how politicians used it to further their goals. Both sides were guilty of this but none were as blatant and conniving as the Republican party. But I'll save that rant for another day...

I know residents of Britain, Spain, Germany, etc have had a history of terrorist attacks that eclipses the US, but this act 6 years ago proved to be the nation's loss of innocence.

I was in a record shop at the time (free period) listening to some vinyl’s, when the guy who owned it came in from the back in a bit of a state , no wonder his granddad worked in the 1st tower

A thread about 9/11and no mention of R*l***n , kind of sums up whats wrong with society IMO, we tend to skirt round the real issues and trivialise the most important bits.

erm let me think…… does suicide bombers ring a bell?, or rather than the world becoming more secure in the last 6 years since, it has without doubt become less secure and finally what is the likelihood of another attack on a similar scale happing in the US or even the UK

I don't think anyone was glossing over anything. This was an observation of Abbey's about how he can't believe it's been 6 years since it happened. I doubt he wanted to debate religion. Glossing over is ignoring the issue. The problem is, the issue was never brought up until you opened the door for a rant. This was just a simple exercise in sharing an experience we all felt. If you want to bash on muslims I don't think this is the thread to do it in. At least that wasn't my interpretation of why Abbey started it...

I don't think anyone was glossing over anything. This was an observation of Abbey's about how he can't believe it's been 6 years since it happened. I doubt he wanted to debate religion. Glossing over is ignoring the issue. The problem is, the issue was never brought up until you opened the door for a rant. This was just a simple exercise in sharing an experience we all felt. If you want to bash on muslims I don't think this is the thread to do it in. At least that wasn't my interpretation of why Abbey started it...

yes i was more like thinking out loud......

but im on nights at the moment and it was a bit intimidating when i kid you not last night about 11ish around 200!! asiansappeared out of ahotel on fishergate hill and this white chap was walking past and said preston 07iis in the offing....we were gomsmacked as to how many people could come out of a hotel a mosque uou could understand but a hotel?

not ranting or anything like just merly an observation from last night

yes i was more like thinking out loud......

but im on nights at the moment and it was a bit intimidating when i kid you not last night about 11ish around 200!! asiansappeared out of ahotel on fishergate hill and this white chap was walking past and said preston 07iis in the offing....we were gomsmacked as to how many people could come out of a hotel a mosque uou could understand but a hotel?

not ranting or anything like just merly an observation from last night

Ramadhan has started and the mosques all around the UK are always full, it must have been after Taraweeh prayers.

Archived