BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Uk Rovers

Ok guys, here is the deal. In May I may be moving to London (not to pull pints either). Basically, all I would like to know is what are some of the nicer areas to reside in? I will be looking for share accommodation and willing to travel anywhere upto 40 mins by train to Central London. I don't really want to be in an area heavily populated by other Aussies, like Shepards Bush. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There's no easy answer I'm afraid - London is full of nice areas, bounded by right sh!tholes, and nowhere is cheap. The best starting point is figure out where are you going to work and then look at where your main rail terminus is and work out from there - It can take as long to get across town from the station as it does to get in from the suburbs.

40 Minutes will take you quite a long way out of London so you'll have plenty of choice but don't necessarily think that a long way out will be cheaper.

Seconded - as Jimbo said you can be quite a long way out and commute. Its an hour into London from where I am (Horsham - a bit far out for you) but then if you were working on the other side of London you could easily be talking about another half hour at least to get across it.

If you happen to end up around Victoria or London Bridge then I could suggest one or two of the nicer commutable areas towards Gatwick. These areas might be a little cheaper than Central London, but you wouldn't be living 'in London' so to speak.

South London is easy for the City/Victoria/Docklands areas with nice areas like Camden, Beckenham, Blackheath all easily commutable if you want sub 30 minute commutes, but London is a huge place and the choice is vast

Completely off topic, but I have to add this since I was blown away.....

South London is easy for the City/Victoria/Docklands areas with nice areas like Camden, Beckenham, Blackheath all easily commutable if you want sub 30 minute commutes, but London is a huge place and the choice is vast

Never thought I'd see those words together.....

Critical question is where in Central London?

Somewhere 2.5 miles away could be 40 ish minutes as walking could be the quickest and most reliable way!

When you know where you can draw up a time-map (which places transport will get you to within 40 minutes) which will look a very peculiar shape bringing some unexpected places within range and excluding some close by you quite fancied. For tube journeys, allow 2 minutes per station and add 4 minutes at either end.

At one point I could get bed to desk in 45 minutes simply because it was a run downhill to the station on the edge of London, fast train in and a brisk walk across Waterloo Bridge to the office facing Somerset House. But when the office relocated half a mile, journey time went up 15 minutes by either the transit to the Tube or the additional walk on congested pavements then added another 40 minues when the journey was to Hammersmith.

If you are by the river, don't forget the river bus. The Surrey Quays area (opposite Canary Wharf) is very pleasant and still reasonably priced- I used it for a pad once when I had homes in the country and was very happy with it.

The borough of Bromley is an excellent place to live. It is in the suburbs and within quick and easy reach of central London. I'm not sure quite how good it is for renting - I know that house prices are particularly high in this area - but it is a great place to live. I live in Orpington myself.

• 3 months later...

Anyone have suggestions for similar areas to Beckenham/Shortlands? Going to find out in the next week or so if I end up going to Lux or London, but a recent sale of the company makes London the more likely destination. Looking for something where I am in a city area, but not necessarily the center of the city. Want to have the option of not owning a car but being able to walk or take a subway or train (preferably subway) to go shopping and such. Also want somewhere with a good park to walk the dog in (and no, that's not a euphemism!). A "posh" neighborhood would even be considered.

Probably will end up working near Cannon St or Moorgate, but within a short walk of the Central, Circle and District lines, whichever location I end up at. Looking to be within a 30 minute commute to work.

IF its Cannon Street you are lokking at south London, Moorgate then north London.

Chislehurst would be ideal. I used to have a little cottage in Mill Place on the edge of the Common and 5 minutes walk down the hill to the station.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this is one for any guys/gals in Oxfordshire.

I have an interview two days after I arrive in the UK at a place in Little Baldon. Is this easily accessible via bus/train, or should I just take a taxi from Oxford proper?

Just because I'm nosey I looked at googlemaps and good luck getting there! Little Baldon is a tiny place a fair way out of Oxford. You can see that the train line doesn't go anywhere near it and nationalrail.co.uk confirms it.

Looked at the bus options (oxfordbus.co.uk) and they mention nothing so I wouldn't trust the local routes to get you anywhere on time. Think I would stick with a taxi.

Of course I would wait until somone in the know can confirm. As I say, I was just being nosey (and have too much time to spare at work!)

I live in Shortlands and that train brings you into Blackfriars in 30 mins - easy for Cannon St/City plus you can switch at the Elephant for the Northern line to Moorgate - Clockhouse/New Beckenham brings you into Cannon St/Charing Cross with a change at London Bridge if you require the Northern Line.

Archived