BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] E3 News Thread

Guest Kamy100

Guest Kamy100

The Computer and Video Games Expo (E3) is being held in LA this week.

All the big companies will be having press conferences and there will be lots of news and videos for all games coming out in the next 12 months.

First up Microsoft have confirmed before their press conference tomorrow that they will be cutting the price of the 20GB version and also the launch of a new 60GB version:

http://kotaku.com/5024633/microsoft-announ...-20gb-price+cut

Will post more news and video here as events unfold over the next week.

Guest Kamy100

Microsoft press conference today.

For 90% of the time I was unimpressed, there will be a new dashboard with avatars which in my opinion looks poor. They showed the expected games Gears of War 2 etc. Lipsync I new signing game looks very good.

They also showed Residential Evil 5, developer demoed gameplay and it was superb.

There were no other announcements with regards to hardware, there was speculation that there would be motion sensing controller announced but that never happened.

The BIG EARTH SHATTERTING BOMB was at the end of the press conference. Square Enix president came out that the previously exclusive Final Fantasy 13 for the PS3 will be now be coming out at at the same time on the 360. That is big news, another PS3 exclusive that Microsoft has managed to make multi platform. Big blow to Sony.

Lots of videos from the press conference now available:

http://www.gametrailers.com/

Sony press conference tomorrow at 7.30pm.

The BIG EARTH SHATTERTING BOMB was at the end of the press conference. Square Enix president came out that the previously exclusive Final Fantasy 13 for the PS3 will be now be coming out at at the same time on the 360. That is big news, another PS3 exclusive that Microsoft has managed to make multi platform. Big blow to Sony.

Your not wrong there. This is a big loss - massive in fact. Not so much for the PS3 market in Europe and America but this game is the one that would have made the PS3 fly off the shelves in Japan.

Anyway, enough of that. Some more clips from E3 (I know that Kamy has posted the link to the same site but here are some choice pics):-

New Prince of Persia - click

Infamous - click

Resistance 2 - click

Resi 5 - click

Fallout 3 (Oblivion but with guns) - click

Guest Kamy100

Thanks for the links Cocker.

Apparently Final Fantasy is coming out on the 360 in Europe and America, however strangely it will remain exclusive to the PS3 in Japan.

Apparently Final Fantasy is coming out on the 360 in Europe and America, however strangely it will remain exclusive to the PS3 in Japan.

Ah I see - that explains things a little more. I swear that I am not over exaggerating just how important this title is to the PS3 in Japan. If it was out on 360 over there to I really think that would have been the nail in the coffin. Why not give MS Killzone/Little Big Planet and Gran Turismo aswell and be done with it.

Again apologies. This is the E3 thread not the moaning thread.

Guest Kamy100

No worries Cocker. Agree the Final Fantasy news is huge for Microsoft, always felt getting the main Final Fantasy title is kinda a seal of approval, Nintendo used to have it, then with the playstation it passed to Sony and now it is multi-platform.

Anyhow should be lots of news today with the Nintendo Press Conference at 5pm and then the Sony Press Conference at 7.30pm. I'll be watching the Sony Press Conference but will also try and get the main headlines from the Nintendo one as well.

Final Fantasy is a massive coup for Xbox. It looks like they've learn't from their mistakes in the past and gone all out to get most games on their platform.

I've just watched the video of the new dashboard update. Basically you'll have an avatar and be able to join in a group (outside of a game) and play things together. They showed 1vs100 as an example. You can also view pictures together.

Things will scroll now too (a bit like album art on iTunes).

It all looks interesting. I can't wait for Gears of War 2. Might have to take some time off work for that one!

Guest Kamy100

Nintendo has just finished giving its E3 2008 press conference, where it showed Animal Crossing Wii, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown on DS, Wii Sports sequel Wii Sports Resort, Wii Music and its fancy pants MotionPlus Wiimote accessory. Really good conference with the focus on games. The DS and Wii are just going to get bigger and Animal Crossing on the wii is going to superb. Also looking forward GTA on the DS.

Guest Kamy100

WOW excellent Sony Press Conference, they may have lost Final Fantasy but they what they showed was superb.

Here are a few highlights:

* Little Big Planet looks superb, in the press conference they used it to deliver statistics and the potential is huge.

* Resistance 2 - Looks immense, going to be a huge game and the online multi-player is going to be as good as COD4 if not better.

* Lots of new and varied games coming to the PS3.

* Home coming along nicely

* New movie and TV shows on PS network to launch today. Lots of films and TV shows available to rent or buy, huge library of films. Once you download

to PS3 you can transfer it to PSP, excellent feature.

* PS3 40GB to be replaced by 80GB version from September, price is going to remain the same.

* God Of War 3 teaser trailer shown and it looks good

* Infamous is a new game which looked superb.

* Brand new multiplayer game called MAG (Massive Action Game) 250 player online, in teams of 8. Trailer was very very very impressive.

* DC Universe new IP which is a superhero game in which you can choose to be a good guy or bad, again looks awesome.

* Resistance announced for the PSP

* Whole host of PSN Network games including a new Ratchet and Clank Game

* Grand Tourismo TV to launch this summer, it is a TV channel on the PS3 dedicated to motoring and will have all the major TV shows from around the world including Top Gear.

* Sony TV network also to launch this summer, it will give you lots of TV channels via the PS3.

There was lots of other stuff. In my opinion deffo the most impressive press conference and it is clear to see that the PS3 has really stepped up to the plate.

Check out http://www.gametrailers.com for all the videos from the Sony Press Conference.

Guest Kamy100

Yup the 80Gb is now going to be the "core unit", so it looks like they are phasing out the 40GB version. They never said anything about backwards compatibility or more USB ports etc. The price is going to be the same as the 40GB version and it is due for release in September.

The European version of E3 (Leipzig Game Convention) is next month so we should here more specific details then.

The European version of E3 (Leipzig Game Convention) is next month so we should here more specific details then.

It could just be me but I have felt that in recent years E3 is where the main things get announced but the latter show (not sure if its always been in Leipzig) shows off more demos of the actual games rather than trailers?

As I say though - this could just be in my head

Guest Kamy100
It could just be me but I have felt that in recent years E3 is where the main things get announced but the latter show (not sure if its always been in Leipzig) shows off more demos of the actual games rather than trailers?

As I say though - this could just be in my head

Totally correct as the E3 is now a trade show but Leipzig is huge and is more like the old E3 where public is allowed, because of this more games are shown and lots of demo's that the public can try. Also for football fans Leipzig is always huge as that is where FIFA and PES are shown as playable versions for the first time. As part of a job that I am doing i'll be going this year on 22 August!!

I would keep hold of the 60GB version. All they have confirmed is that the 40GB is being replaced by the 80GB at the same price, I would suspect that means that all they are doing is having a bigger hard drive all the rest of the stuff (no backwards compatibility and fewer USB ports etc.) will remain the same.

I remember saying either in this forum or the official forum that final fantasy wont be exculsive to ps3. I said this when they where beta testing it on xbox 360 when xbox was first released.

Glad to see games are going to multiplatform as this is great for us consumers as we dont have to buy a certain peice off hardware just for your favourite games

Pretty sure it's being PORTED to the 360.

Ported being the key word there. World of difference.

It's not being made on the PS3 development kit but on Square's own development kit called Crystal Tools, which is designed to make games using PCs for Windows, the 360, the PS3 and the Wii. The version on the 360 will be no more of a port than the version on the PS3.

I found this out about E3 aswell and taken from the link below

Ian Lamont writes

"This year's E3 is over, and there's already talk that this could be the last one. Even before the conference started, a slew of studios announced they wouldn't be taking part, citing high costs and other 'business reasons.' At the conference itself, 'there were no huge game announcements, and Microsoft didn't even bother having Bungie show up to talk about the next Halo release, claiming that the company wanted to "shorten the presentation."' Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello said he 'hated' E3's new format, adding 'either we need to go back to the old E3, or we'll have to have our own private events.' Crave also noted there are no solid plans for next year's show. On the other hand, people have predicted E3's demise in previous years, and they turned out to be wrong."

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...33&from=rss

Crave also noted there are no solid plans for next year's show.

Well that's the death knell for E3! :D

I didn't go this year but I've been to a few in the past when it was massive, and I can understand why it had to shrink. Everyone competing for a limited amount of attention, big companies spending $5m + on a vast stand full of stuff that just gets ignored in favour of a few major names. Plus it was absolutely rammed with complete nobodies - people who worked at game shops, kids with their own games blog with 50 readers and so on. Games companies don't have the money or need to market to those sort of people now.

Archived