BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stuart Hall

Am I the only person who turns off the radio the moment I hear Stuart Hall being introduced to launch into another volley of slurred drivel. A 6 year old would give a more informative report but sadly all the ingratiating presenters on R5 indulge him like the habitual drunk at the local. I don't believe he actually watches the matches he reports on. He is actually positioned in the bar and when put on air simply repeats whatever line he happens to taking such as 1. the home support is non-existent 2 the away support is fantastic 3 Allardyce teams play hump it and lump it 4 I met such and such celebrity at lunch and now I'm half-cut (sorry edit the last bit). I think it's time for a poll "who want's Stuart Hall off-air forever".

He doesn't provide the best analysis of a game, but I find him great to listen to. I like the quirky aspect and the Shakespearean references and allusions and just how well he speaks. Wouldn't want to have to listen to him for 90 minutes every week or have him do MOTD analysis, but he does his job well in my view.

I guess he's one of those 'Marmite' people - you either find him very annoying or, like me, entertaining (in a daft kind of way).

Most TV and radio reporters are incredibly bland and dull these days so I'm glad that at least one stands out a bit on Sports Report.

Am I the only person who turns off the radio the moment I hear Stuart Hall being introduced to launch into another volley of slurred drivel. A 6 year old would give a more informative report but sadly all the ingratiating presenters on R5 indulge him like the habitual drunk at the local. I don't believe he actually watches the matches he reports on. He is actually positioned in the bar and when put on air simply repeats whatever line he happens to taking such as 1. the home support is non-existent 2 the away support is fantastic 3 Allardyce teams play hump it and lump it 4 I met such and such celebrity at lunch and now I'm half-cut (sorry edit the last bit). I think it's time for a poll "who want's Stuart Hall off-air forever".

Totally agree... plus we always lose when he's commentating on our game

Stuart Hall is a great English eccentric and it's a shame some people don't get him but inevitable really. He certainly offers an alternative take on the cliche-laden art of football commentary, although I do think he could afford to reign it in a little when his Shakespearean flourishes are at the expense of actually letting you know what happened at the match!

I always enjoyed his references to 'Roberto de Savage' but my all-time favourite Hall-ism was his reference to Jim Smith and some other bald-headed manager one evening game where they 'simultaneously emerged from the dugouts, like monks at twilight.'

He's an eccentric, a one off and sports report would be much duller programme without him. Long may he continue.

I thought I would copy this post I made on the West Ham thread a few days ago: -

I can't comment on the relative merits of Andrews and Diouf as drinking partners but I can comment on Stuart Hall, who I had the misfortune to share a table with at a do several years ago. He was actually compering the proceedings and being paid to be there but he spent the night getting ###### and being generally embarrassing. The organisers had to keep him off the stage by the end - a complete liability. Compare this with David Hamilton, who did the same job at last year's do (and was featured on MOTD2 last night). I would previously have regarded him as an irritating nonentity but he was damned good company as well as an excellent compere.

He does get on the nerves when you just want him to tell you the damn score!

That said, he did come out with one of my all time Rovers commentary moments when he described a Glen "killer" Keeley (I think) challenge as "showing more studs than a medieval castle door" :lol:

Archived