BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Defence And Mf

I think/hope we'll keep Warnock (although with him winning the club's POY and all of the recent winners buggering off it doesn't bode well), if anything, we'll cash in on Pedersen (last year of contract etc). Still, plenty of time for things to happen though. <_<

My ideal line up:

------Di Santo------Kalinic

Pedersen------Dunn------Diouf

----------------Grella

Warnock-Nelsen-Samba-Emerton

---------------Robinson

Bench: Brown, Jacobsen, Givet, N'Zonzi, Hoilett, McCarthy, Roberts

Squad: EVH, Zurab, Andrews, Gallagher, Reid

Loan: Bunn, Ollson, Doran, Judge, Jones

Theres only one pre season game left. Olsson has looked decent at left wing, but still a liability at left back.

I don't think we can sell Warnock really and he needs to play as, frankly, he is one of our best players. I think there is a very high likelihood that he will start in midfield as the Givet-Nelsen-Samba-Jacobsen back four seems settled in Sam's mind.

Obviously Sam toyed with the idea of sticking him on the left instead of Pedersen but that was unconvincing.... however, as others have pointed out, the manager has not played him in the centre in pre season at all.

Its going to be quite tough to try and accomodate Warnock, Givet, Nelsen, Samba, Jackobsen and Emerton in the same team.

Imo its pretty nailed on that if he is put on the bench he will look for a move.

The wolves would be gathering by November and Nailed on he would be gone in January.

I think we currently have a very balanced squad with that all important element - competition for places

------Di Santo------Kalinic

------Mcarthy-------Roberts

------Gallagher-----(needed?)

Pedersen------Dunn------Diouf

Warnock------Andrews------Holliet

Elrio------------Reid--------Emerton

----------------Grella

----------------N'Zoni

----------------Emerton

Warnock--Givet-Nelsen-Emerton

Givet---Samba--Kish'villi--Jacobson

Ollson----------------------------Kish'villi

---------------Robinson

---------------Brown

My first 11 in bold

With all these new signings, it's difficult to know what our best line-up would be. Bearing in mind the fact that the likes of Hoilett, Elrio, N'Zonzi and Di Santo are all young and largely unproven and would presumably need time to settle, I'd expect this would be our best line up:

Robinson

Emerton (Jacobsen in the mean time) / Nelsen / Samba / Warnock

Diouf / Grella / Dunn / Pedersen

Kalinic / McCarthy

Then you have height, pace and width on the bench; plenty of options to change a game or sure things up.

Lets say, for the sake of example, that Dunn, Reid, Grella and Emerton play NO games this year (as this will be our apparent situation at the start of the season). You could play this:

................Robinson................

Lars....Samba....Nelsen....Givet

.................Warnock................

Diouf.........Pedersen.......Elrio/Hoilett/Olsson

.........(any striker combo)..........

I'd be happy to rely on that. I could even see THIS happening:

................Robinson................

Lars....Samba....Nelsen....Givet

.................Warnock................

Diouf.........McCarthy....Pedersen

........(any striker combo)..........

I can see Pedersen, McCarthy or even Gally EASILY being played in the attacking midfield berth. McCarthy dusnt move too much, so could play the sit and pass role. Looking at the overall picture, I'd prefer the first option (out of the two). I would OBVIOUSLY prefer Dunn and Emerton to be available, at least.

...................Robbo

Jacobsen.[2 from 3 CBs] Warnock

...................Grella

............[new]......Emerton

....Diouf........................[new]

..................Kalinic

Subs: Brown, [other CB], N'Zonzi, Andrews, Elrio, Di Santo, Roberts

Left over: Zurab, Olsson, Reid, Doran, Hoilett, Ellington

I've got a feeling Sam doesn't rate Pedersen, long-throw or not. Nearly signing Ghilas is a pretty big sign, it wouldn't surprise me to see someone like Angulo on a free play there.

I can't see McCarthy being happy with 3rd/4th choice in a World Cup year, so Ellington can be a cheapo replacement in case of emergencies.

Edit: Suspect Andrews may start until Bert is 100%, or maybe Warnock with Givet at full back.

----------------Robbo---------------

Emerton-Samba-Nelsen/givet--Warnock

------------Grella---N'zoni-------------

Diouf-------------------------------MGP

------------Benni--Klanic-----------

Di Santo

Roberts

Dunn

Nelsen/Givet

Olsson

Brown

Hoillet

Swap the weaker performer of Grella/N'zonzi for Dunn when fit (or ideally a new creative centre mid) and that is what I think our best line up is.

Looking at it the options in defence are good - could argue over having Jacobsen or Nelsen/Givet in - and up front, Di Santo or Roberts could be very useful up front and would be better suited for some opponents, but there's a gaping hole in terms of strength in depth and quality in the midfield.

Archived