BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Football League Thread 09-10

• Backroom
Interesting story developing at Huddersfield. They seem to have found two of the most exciting young forwards in lower league football in Lee Novak and Jordan Rhodes. Rhodes has scored four already. If they maintain their current form, Huddersfield are going to be right up there in League One.

The Beeb coverage of the lower leagues has got me bitten. I am disillusioned with the Premier League's banal predictabilities. THe football league is hardly a plane of total football but there are plenty of interesting stories which are catching my attention. The unpredictability is something that particularly intrigues me, at the moment. Perhaps the unpredictability is down to my ignorance of the lower levels...

Rhodes was extremely well thought of in Ipswich. There was outrage from a lot of fans when he was sold, and it seems with good reason, as they're struggling to score at the moment. I think they made a big mistake selling him.

Norwich have just appointed Paul Lambert, the boss who beat them 7 - 1.

Colchester fans must be feeling so gutted.

No surprise. Lambert is not going to win any points for loyalty. He walked out on Wycombe after failing to go up from League 2 via the play-offs.

Huddersfield won 7-1 against Brighton today. No goals for Rhodes but Novak scored his first of the season. A team to watch from League One, me thinks.

ROy Keane strugging with Ipswich. 3-1 defeat to Palace. Can't believe Owen Garvan's not in their team. He was one of the brightest midfield prospects in the Champ last year, I thought.

Edit: Oh yeah, and how I wish that we had signed Adam Johnson when he was not a regular in the Boro first team. Superb player.

• Backroom

I think Lambert will regret jumping from Colchester to Norwich by the end of the season. Colchester are a stronger, more solid unit, whilst Norwich at the moment are a mess and by the time they are stabilised it'll probably be too late to mount a push for promotion. He's probably on higher wages, though.

Keane already faltering at Ipswich. Early days but 1 point from 3 winnable games is not a good start, with WBA, Preston, Boro and Newcastle all coming up shortly...

Keane hasn't got a clue. The promotion charge at Sunderland was a one-off, and his personality flaws are probably showing already. At least the Tractor Boys didn't hire Ince I suppose. Good start from Coventry, a team I would like to see back in the top flight.

And doesn't Stan Ternant manage Huddesfield?

Spotting the highlights of Cardiff's 3-0 win over Bristol Rovers and it looks like Chris Burke is beginning to fulfil his potential.

I first saw Burke making dazzling cameo performances on the right wing for Rangers and I thought that he could easily be the new Damien Duff (esp with the gingerish hair).

Obviously, he suffered a series of injuries. However, he created two goals versus Bristol and his dramatic weaving runs are reminiscent of Duffers. Medical exam permitting, Burke would make a great signing for any Prem club, imo.

Incidentally, Cardiff seem to have a very neat team. They lost Parry, the Welsh winger but Burke and Whittingham are a very good pair of wingers and they've got tidy footballers in the middle in McPhail and Gavin Rae. They'll be playing a lot of entertaining football with that team - if lacking a real physical presence in the team - which may ultimately be their downfall in their Prem ambitions.

It's good to see that not all the Champ teams play hoofball.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived