BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Academy Mananger Appointed

Hughesy

Phil Cannon appointed

As nicko said the other day - Rovers have now confirmed the appointment with Cannon starting next monday.

He has been at Everton for the last 7 years, which has seen quite a few youth players getting close to the grade - Osman, Rodwell, Gosling, Baxter, Vaughan, Anichebe....

Im sure there are plenty more too.

Here's hoping we start to see more talent in a couple of years time....

You missed out Rooney. He's not bad.

suppose :lol:

Walcott seems to be the guy's main claim...but he has got plenty of experience up and down the country.

I don't think he was at Everton as long as people have suggested and I'm not sure he is directly responsible for too many of their captures. But he must know the area well.

The Derby departure was because he was a Paul Jewell appointment and paid the price when Nigel Clough came in.

Good to see the academy being taken seriously...although it is ironic that 'discoveries' like Hoilett, Jones and Lowe are starting to come through now from previous regimes.

Jones may get a game with the first team soon. Lowe is well-respected and looks the part to me. Hoilett is obviously a talent.

Who's Lowe?

Iv heard of Phil Jones - saw him the other night - didnt do too bad.

Head of recruitment at Everton, doubt he had much to do with developing those above, once recruited would that not be job done for him.

Derby never had to time to unpack.

Academy director at BRFC. ????

Obviously he has an eye for talent dating back to his days at Swindon but no experience in running an academy???

I presume we will have our own head of recruitment under the academy director or is the same person at our club.?

Because we're a bigger clu...

Because we can pay him mo...

Because Lancashire has more talented young pl...

Err yeah, why did he leave Everton?

Well if I understand this properly he's moved from head of recruitment to being head of the academy, that has to be a pay rise and a bigger job.

No just Theo Walcott.....

Walcott joined Town when he was about 14, and stayed for about 5 minutes.

Cannon can't come out of that with much credit. Walcott was well known down South at the time, he was a hardly a spot. Infact the only reason he went to Town was because of the lack of competition in the area.

The £12 million seventeen year-old wonderkid was on Town's books from the age of ten before being snapped up by Southampton.

Appropriately for the boy who would later become a Gunner, it was a man named Cannon who launched his playing career here at the County Ground.

Phil Cannon, working as Jimmy Quinn's Youth Development Officer, spotted Walcott playing for his local school side AFC Newbury six years ago.

Swindon Town

The £12 million seventeen year-old wonderkid was on Town's books from the age of ten before being snapped up by Southampton.

Appropriately for the boy who would later become a Gunner, it was a man named Cannon who launched his playing career here at the County Ground.

Phil Cannon, working as Jimmy Quinn's Youth Development Officer, spotted Walcott playing for his local school side AFC Newbury six years ago.

Swindon Town

Younger than I thought.

He scored 100 goals in 35 games for Newbury, not hard to spot a good player under those conditions.

Archived