BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kitchens!

I didn't really know where to post this so started a new thread!

I am redoing my kitchen at the moment! Not all of it just getting a new hob and some new worksurfaces to update it a little. The cupboards are all fine. I went to B and Q today and bought my worksurfaces with a special 15% discount voucher which was good.

My question is though do I have the new worksurfaces fitted and then the hob or do I get the hob changed and then have the worksurfaces fitted. I appreciate the answer to this might be quite obvious to some but to me it seems to make sense to have hob changed first and then have work surfaces fitted around it but then it looks like the hob sits on top of the worksurface so should that be fitted after????

Help!!!

I didn't really know where to post this so started a new thread!

I am redoing my kitchen at the moment! Not all of it just getting a new hob and some new worksurfaces to update it a little. The cupboards are all fine. I went to B and Q today and bought my worksurfaces with a special 15% discount voucher which was good.

My question is though do I have the new worksurfaces fitted and then the hob or do I get the hob changed and then have the worksurfaces fitted. I appreciate the answer to this might be quite obvious to some but to me it seems to make sense to have hob changed first and then have work surfaces fitted around it but then it looks like the hob sits on top of the worksurface so should that be fitted after????

Help!!!

Worktop first then hob! :D

If its an inset hob, it will have to be cut into the worktop. So its best to have the new worktop and hob fitted at the same time.

Alan75 is spot on. Get your new hob (and sink if you are renewing it) and install at the same time, this will save you money as there will be only one installation and guarantee that the hob will fit in the new work top. The hob will be inset, I have never come across any other sort, you will need to cut out the work top approx 20mm less than the overall dimensions of the hob.

Alan75 is spot on. Get your new hob (and sink if you are renewing it) and install at the same time, this will save you money as there will be only one installation and guarantee that the hob will fit in the new work top. The hob will be inset, I have never come across any other sort, you will need to cut out the work top approx 20mm less than the overall dimensions of the hob.

Correct there is only one way the right way ^ fitted around 200 of the them in my day.

Also make sure who ever fits your work top has a Router and a work top Jig, you don't want those horrible germ traps, the metal jointing strips.

I only design full kitchens, usually in a modern style.

I don't have much experience in putting it in place.

No offence ment but thats the problem with designers.

Unfortunately in my experience, I found that those with a wall full of academic theory qualifications and no hands on practical experience cause untold site problems.

I remember my college days when a lecturer in design used to drum into us "Make it look good and you'll sell it"

Fortunately my employers soon put my right when I got into the real world.

No offence taken.

When I said that I have no experience in putting them in to place it's because that is not my job.

I'm not a licensed designer nor do I have a degree in it.

When I first learned to design kitchens, I was taught to make the kitchens as useful as possible.

The look is important but it can never be more important than the practical use of it.

I normally desing in what is normally called "Italian Style", simple and effective.

The pratical space is maximized and the client can always chose diferent options for their question.

Unfortunatelly, some clients have some weird tastes.

I don't think I can have them both fitted at the same time. I have a friend of a friend coming to fit the worksurfaces for me and then I was going to get Comet to fit my hob when they deliver it. The friend of a friend won't be able to fit the hob and I am not getting in someone I don't know as you hear some horrendous stories and I really don't know what I am talking about!!!

What's this router and work top jig?

Abbey, I am OCD when it comes to cleaning my flat, it is spotless!!!!

The router - prounced "rowter" (as in row = arguement) - is a piece of wood-working kit and I guess the work top jig does a similar job - probably to cut out the hole in the worktop which the hob fits into.

Given you have a friend of a friend doing the fitting can he cut the hole for the hob? I doubt Comet will do this.

HA! Decided to have a nice new kitchen this year (well, Mr R did, I still maintain I'd have preferred a World Cruise). Ordered it in April. Parts delivered in good time in May, fitters arrived in June.

Tomorrow, the kitchen might or might not be finished. One can always hope...

Steer clear of Homebase, folks.

No offence ment but thats the problem with designers.

Unfortunately in my experience, I found that those with a wall full of academic theory qualifications and no hands on practical experience cause untold site problems.I remember my college days when a lecturer in design used to drum into us "Make it look good and you'll sell it"

Fortunately my employers soon put my right when I got into the real world.

Not to mention manufacturing problems for the poor sods (like me!) that are expected to come up with a program to machine the buggers! :rolleyes:

I don't think I can have them both fitted at the same time. I have a friend of a friend coming to fit the worksurfaces for me and then I was going to get Comet to fit my hob when they deliver it. The friend of a friend won't be able to fit the hob and I am not getting in someone I don't know as you hear some horrendous stories and I really don't know what I am talking about!!!

Abbey, I am OCD when it comes to cleaning my flat, it is spotless!!!!

Is the hob electric or gas?

I know several tradesmen who would carry out the installation for you at a reasonable cost.

Try Howdens. They supply quality kitchens at trade and will design and give you the names of several independant fitters to do the job for you. My son has saved a fortune but is capable of fitting them himself.

Archived