BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Couch Spuds

QUESTION. do all 11 and 13 year old whinge about going for a walk on the moors and getting fresh air? another question....do they all go on t'internet 24/7?

I used to love going out and building dens and tree climbing etc...nowadays they are cabbaged.

QUESTION. do all 11 and 13 year old whinge about going for a walk on the moors and getting fresh air? another question....do they all go on t'internet 24/7?

I used to love going out and building dens and tree climbing etc...nowadays they are cabbaged.

its the generation of computers, internet and online gaming

id rather they sit on their ass all day than be a raging chav and decide to get ###### off cider and smash people things up

Tiz a great shame Abs.

When i was 11yr old, my mum couldn`t get me in to feed me.

The 6 week summer holidays were full of great adventures & days out with the mates. My knees were constantly scabbed over.

Now-a-days, kids look at you like you`re stupid if you suggest they go out for a while.

Bring back the 70s i say! ;)

Yep it's a challenge

They do love going out still, it's a question of making sure they do as staying in is an easy option.

I think it's more difficult these days to find a balance. Back in the 'good old days' children were allowed out to 'play'. Nowadays that is becoming more difficult with 'gang' culture growing and the worry that your children will end up in a bad crowd.

My children are slightly younger than 11 & 13 but they love going out for walks and we regularly take them. As long as they can run around and get muddy, then they're happy. They also play sports regularly. Don't get me wrong - they enjoy their computer games and TV, but as a parent you have to get them out and about as much as you can.

Difficult tho when I only have them every other weekend.

Yes, that is difficult. Just make sure you plan lots of things to do and have agood mix of active stuff. I know money can be an issue but bowling and swimming can be quite cheap. I guess you have to make it fun. Talking of getting outside - have you ever taken them to Crocky Trail? Its fantastic and they (and you) would love it!

I agree with what's been written before, playing in the street was commonplace, and going up the Coppice round the back of Accy was a big adventure every time. But in addition to the factor given above, I also think that many parents now won't let their kids play outside, in case they are snatched/spirited away/groomed for some Gary Glitter figure. Yes, it happens, but it seems people have been scared (by the media mainly) into not letting their children out of their sight at any time. Therefore, kids stay in more and are probably better at computer games than me now :(

I think the fears parents have of letting their kids play out are over-stated. Clearly there are real risks but I'm not sure they are any greater than when I was a child. The important thing is rules laid down by the parents. My kids had complete freedom to roam as they wished within the ground rules we set out. For example:

1. Tell us where you are going.

2. If you decide to move on somewhere else come back and tell us first

3. The canal is completely out of bounds and is not negotiable!

4. Don't go on the road

etc, etc.

In our area all the households had pretty similar rules, all the adults looked out for, and still do, the local kids and would quickly intervene if necessary knowing the parent wouldn't be suing them!! We often noticed kids who visited from out of the area seemed to be worried about straying out of the garden whereas for our lot, and the neighbours, moving from garden to garden and house to house was quite natural.

Give them rules and it can work quite easily.

I've been an outdoors sort of person all my life. At the age of 3, me and a mate wandered into Sunnyhurst Woods in Darwen and waded up the stream from the Dingle (that's a true but unfortunate name!) to the Duck Pond, got soaked through and was no mean feat at the age of three. Every night after coming home from school, it was either football in the street or tree climbing, making camps and so on in the woods. I used to wander over to Tockholes to EIT's place and he used to bike or walk to mine, aint that right EIT? My parents couldn't get me in and all my mates were the same. Yes, it was a bit safer in those days but there were some right idiots around in Darwen. Some of you older Darwen lads may remember Looney Len, been chased by him more than once, he was a proper psycho.

Things change and my two, who are now adults, didn't quite do the same things, but equally me and the missus would take them walking in the Lakes, or out to the Ribble Valley, Centre Parks, Skiing with the school, those sorts of things to make sure the outdoors played a big part in their upbringing.

I mean when i was that age in the 90's i couldnt be kept in the house. Going frogging, fishing in little streams and making dens was the best thing ever.

Did you dam em up too? That was ace but I always got water in my wellies, sh1tup and soaked through. Happy days.

3. The canal is completely out of bounds and is not negotiable!

4. Don't go on the road

Personally Paul as long as a kid can swim and it's during the day I'd rather em cycle or walk along the cut than along a road. Much safer. And after all canals are only about 3ft deep.

Difficult tho when I only have them every other weekend.

Abbey,

I've got the same problem.

I get my 14 year old daughter every weekend and she's a bit of a couch potato. When she was younger she was up for doing things and going places, but now she's a bit harder to shift from the TV.

It's not just you and me. It's probably all Dads.

I think you've got to introduce them to stuff that they would rather do that stare at the idiot box all weekend.

Have an internet search for "the forbidden corner" & take them there. They'll love it. Take them to Formby to try and have look at the red squirrels. Great beach too. I took mine to The Manchester Art Gallery at the weekend and we had a great time. It was rather surprising.

I think you've got to "big up" the event along the lines of "Ok kids, today we are going to climb up to the top of the biggest *mountain* in Lancashire. It's called Pendle Hill. Do you think you can do it?"

Then make sure they remember it with a treat afterwards. High fives and hugs once you've finished.

You say "I never thought you'd ever do that, I was really stupid to take you on that trip" Let them give you the answer.

Just my suggestions

Personally Paul as long as a kid can swim and it's during the day I'd rather em cycle or walk along the cut than along a road. Much safer. And after all canals are only about 3ft deep.

Depends on the age I think. Ours learnt to swim and cycle at an early age but commonsense and road awareness took longer to teach. Certainly once old enough I'd agree the cut is safer for youngsters to cycle than the road. Our kids roamed freely from a very early age and roads and canals were dangerous places for them.

Its just the way the world is going nowadays with the internet and sites like facebook which so many people seem stuck to for hours on end.

When I was a kid, I was out all day everyday playing football, making dens, going on missions to anywhere we could find and anything else. Id say 90% of my youth was spent playing footy though...

Archived