BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Famous Colours And The Spanish Connection

Talking of history, didn't know we had a ship?

Benjamin Crockett

Seaman RNR TP/X 19660A

Bye-name Benjie.

Born 1919.

Address 19, Queen Street, Lossie.

Parents Edward Crockett and Margaret Ann Stewart.

Married No.

Occupation Fisherman on the Kia-Ora.

Where died HMS Blackburn Rovers, on 2 June 1940, at Dunkirk. She was sunk, the crew got away in a small boat, but were killed by an exploding depth-charge.

Talking of history, didn't know we had a ship?

Benjamin Crockett

Seaman RNR TP/X 19660A

Bye-name Benjie.

Born 1919.

Address 19, Queen Street, Lossie.

Parents Edward Crockett and Margaret Ann Stewart.

Married No.

Occupation Fisherman on the Kia-Ora.

Where died HMS Blackburn Rovers, on 2 June 1940, at Dunkirk. She was sunk, the crew got away in a small boat, but were killed by an exploding depth-charge.

Aye

http://www.uboat.net/forums/read.php?22,65978,65984,quote=1

Yes, I´ve tried to find a connection here but can´t. Grasshoppers were formed, I think, just after we won the cup three times on the trot. I think they adopted our colours because of that but can´t find anything to substantiate it. Going over to watch them against Luzern in August. We are blue, we are white, GC dynamite!

According to "The [alternative football name which cannot be typed in this forum] Book" Tom Griffiths of Blackburn, an English zoological student, gave the Grasshoppers their name and uniform in 1886. The Grasshoppers wiki page confirms Griffiths' role, but only that he was an Englishman, not that he was from Blackburn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grasshopper_Club_Z%C3%BCrich

He is indeed. Flopsy is a Guardian groupie so I think he coerced him from there.

He's on the Guardian Football Weekly podcast every so often - very smart guy. At the moment he's taking quite a lot of stick as part of a running joke because he said "goals are overrated" when he was talking about preferring to watch a 1-1 draw over an 8-0 win.

I've been downloading The Guardian Football Weekly podcasts during the World Cup and heard this guy getting some light hearted ribbing from the panel although I dont remember it featuring the man himself.

I'll keep my GFW susbscription, James Richardson and Barry Glendenning do a neat line in sarcasm!

I've been downloading The Guardian Football Weekly podcasts during the World Cup and heard this guy getting some light hearted ribbing from the panel although I dont remember it featuring the man himself.

I'll keep my GFW susbscription, James Richardson and Barry Glendenning do a neat line in sarcasm!

I can't remember if he's been on during the WC, possibly only once or twice at the most. He featured on quite a few during the African Cup of Nations because he was actually out there. In the time I've been listening (about 6 months) he's probably only been on as one of the studio pundits 5-10 times. And most of the time he has to put up with Jimbo and Barry making fun of how much of a football anorak he is :)

It's a quality listen. Definitely makes my Monday and Thursday train journeys go by a little quicker.

According to "The [alternative football name which cannot be typed in this forum] Book" Tom Griffiths of Blackburn, an English zoological student, gave the Grasshoppers their name and uniform in 1886. The Grasshoppers wiki page confirms Griffiths' role, but only that he was an Englishman, not that he was from Blackburn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grasshopper_Club_Z%C3%BCrich

Bet he was a Darrener mossy!

Archived