BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cuba

The missus has just booked a holiday in Cuba. Has anyone out there been to Varadero, and do you have any feedback please? A bit late I realise because it is booked, but I do want to know what I am letting myself in for, what the beach is like and whether there are any good tours etc.

thanks

The missus has just booked a holiday in Cuba. Has anyone out there been to Varadero, and do you have any feedback please? A bit late I realise because it is booked, but I do want to know what I am letting myself in for, what the beach is like and whether there are any good tours etc.

thanks

I've been to Cuba a couple of times. Varadero is pretty quiet but very pleasant if weather good (should be this time of year). As for tours, are you going to Havana at all? I'd definitely recommend it and so much to do there - Varadero isnt really Cuba (if you know what I mean). Also, Santiago de Cuba is lovely, as is a town called Trinidad although you'd need a full day, maybe 2. Spoilt for choice on trips really.

Hope that helps.

thanks

Forgot to add - Santiago de Cuba, you'd need an internal flight as other side of Island. Trinidad 4/5 hours away, alhough Havana is relatively close and loads to do en route (via Metanzas and a lovely national park). Havana is wonderful!

thanks Manc Rover....sounds like good advice which I will follow. Havana is on the top of my list.

thanks again

No worries. Havana old town is full of the tourist-type places but unlike other cities, everything is unique. Also, the old National hotel is about 2 miles away (down the Malecon) and has to be seen - full of history. We were lucky enough to stay there and is worth a look.

In the old town, there's a bar called El Floridita which is great but can get very busy with tourists. Look out for the smaller ones down the side streets. The Museo de la Revolution is also worth a look.

Mike

its beautiful. we went to Cuba in January and found the weather a rather pleasant 25 degs. This time of year you are going to get a bit of rain especially in the afternoons.

President Lager in bottles is the best beer, beware of the 150 white rum and the mohitos are to die for.

If you think Jamaica is laid back, wait until you meet the Cubans.

And if you buy cigars, make sure you don't buy them from street sellers. You might find they're just banana leaves rolled up! Best place to get them from is Partagas cigar factory (next to Capitolio building). They'll roll them for you there and then for a few pesos.

We went about three years ago on a tour. DIdn't go to Varadero but I am sure it will be fine for a laid back beach holiday but with better music and mojitos. Of the places I went to, including Havana, Trinidad was the one not to miss, although you really need to stay there rather than going a day trip. I had one of the finest musical experiences of my life visiting a few of the bars and just listening to whoever happened to be playing. Vinales in the west is another excellent laid back place, but probably a bit far for a day trip from Varadero and another place you need to stay overnight in to get the best out of it. I,m sure Santiago will be in the same bracket but again it,s a long way from Varadero.

Archived