BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Entertainment or Result Is All That Matters?

Indeed, he just lost interest after the Manager of the Month award; that awful loss at Birmingham on the last day of the season sticks in my memory.

Nothing to do with him getting MoM.

I agree about the back end of the season.

He sold Savage and then had absolutely no financial backing from the board when he was chasing the likes of Lass Diara and Stepehen Ireland. He ended up with the only option of having to sign Vogel on loan, and I think that seriously turned his head, as it probably would with any manager who had done the job he had.

It was a real shame how it all ended with Hughes, but let's not tarnish what was an excellent managerial reign.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the signings he made alone, along with the tremendous league finishes, Hughes was a fantastic manager for us.

Agreed. He's one you'd love to have in charge right now. The other one is MON imo. Someone I think could do a very good job for this team. I just look at how teams do after he's gone and compare it to how they were doing whilst he was there and it tells it's own story.

Does anyne remember the last 6 months of Hughes' reign ?

IMO, we were absolutely awful - I think Hughes' head had been turned by the Newcastle link and that focus was lost.

It's well documented that he was given permission to speak to NUFC but he'd been turned down by them. imo Hughes head had been turned after that and only by being told the cheque book was staying closed after he'd been forced to offload Sav. After his previous incredible performances in the transfer market he'd got rid of a player that he had a bond of sorts with in order to sign Dairra first and Huddlestone second. Big big big mistake by John Williams and/or the board which was unfortunately worsened a hundred fold by eventually selecting Ince after events had taken their course. I watched Sparky closely and his previously determined and confident front foot demeanour worsened every home game from January forward. imo He'd been turned sour by the lack of support from the board.

Hughes prob knew too that jewell in the crown Bentley was moving on in the summer I'm convinced that those events were connected and were the root cause of Bentley and his agent deciding to leave at the end of the season cos the club was obviously no longer moving forward. The new contract that he had in front of him in Jan which nicko repeatedly said would be signed never was.

Agreed. He's one you'd love to have in charge right now. The other one is MON imo.

MO bloody N!!! Not fit to lace Sparky's boots.

This thread should really be topped by a poll........... one man one vote but with those who have been to watch BRFC at any three from the Shay, Field Mill, Gay Meadow and Burnden Park being given 20 votes apiece. :tu:

Agreed. He's one you'd love to have in charge right now. The other one is MON imo. Someone I think could do a very good job for this team. I just look at how teams do after he's gone and compare it to how they were doing whilst he was there and it tells it's own story.

I'm not a big fan of MoN, simply based on the fact that he spends huge amounts of money.

In contrast Hughes worked to a budget and unbelievably found players such as Bentley, the three strikers, Warnock, Samba, Nelsen.. the list goes on.

Not only this but just think about the money we can and have made from these players. RSC £17M, Warnock £7m, Bentley £17m, Kuqi £2.5m. He made us a huge amount of money and left us in a terrifc position, only for us to appoint a thicko. I believe this to be John Williams biggest mistake (along with neglecting to back Hughes in the Jan transfer window).

Anyway there is no chance on this Earth that either of these managers will come to BRFC, whilst Venkys are pulling the strings. Neither are yes-man of any degree. Unfortunately I believe we have our long term manager now :angry:

shortened, and probably better version of my post :lol:

It's well documented that he was given permission to speak to NUFC but he'd been turned down by them. imo Hughes head had been turned after that and only by being told the cheque book was staying closed after he'd been forced to offload Sav. After his previous incredible performances in the transfer market he'd got rid of a player that he had a bond of sorts with in order to sign Dairra first and Huddlestone second. Big big big mistake by John Williams which was unfortunately worsened a hundred fold by eventually selecting Ince after events had taken their course. I watched Sparky closely and his previously determined and confident front foot demeanour worsened every home game from January forward. imo He'd been turned sour by the lack of support from the board.

Hughes prob knew too that jewell in the crown Bentley was moving on in the summer I'm convinced that those events were connected and were the root cause of Bentley and his agent deciding to leave at the end of the season cos the club was obviously no longer moving forward. The new contract that he had in front of him in Jan which nicko repeatedly said would be signed never was.

You need to read Sav's autobiography as what you're saying here does not fit at all with what he says in his book. Sav asked for the move. Rovers (John Williams) LOWERED the price and then Sav actually took a pay cut to get the move done because Derby could not afford the fee.

...... Sav asked for the move. Rovers (John Williams) LOWERED the price and then Sav actually took a pay cut to get the move done because Derby could not afford the fee.

Really well unless I was mistaken from the horses mouth himself in the Hordens that chain of events happened when he moved here from Brum. :blink:

Can anybody who was there recall what he said that night?

This thread should really be topped by a poll........... one man one vote but with those who have been to watch BRFC at any three from the Shay, Field Mill, Gay Meadow and Burnden Park being given 20 votes apiece. :tu:

Do Spotland and Vale Park count as well?

My two penneth;

For someone who seriously hated Allardyces tenure, the recent change in stlye has been lovely to see, but at the same time extremely concerning. The way we have set up against Wigan and Newcastle in particular is massively worrying - we seem to have no structure what so ever and seem way too fluid. The way we left Salgado exposed - an ageing right back who has been exposed for pace several times playing for us - for the vast majority of the game was incredible. A good winger would have carved us open, Bale/Young/etc would have created a multitude of chances and it could have been a massive drubbing. Why he set up that way I will never know, using Hoilett on the right wing with MGP on the left would have been far better. That's the negatives, but the positives have been promising too. V Spurs and Liverpool I have never seen us play like that, having started watching Rovers just when we got promoted. The Liverpool game in particular was a joy to watch, and for the first time in ages I felt seriously excited about the team, what with the potential signings of Formica/Rochina/Cruz etc.

It's going to be a massive learning curve for Kean, but if he gets it right it could be a bloody brilliant ride. That said, get it wrong and it will all end in tears. I'm confident the latter won't happen, but we just need to pick these 8 points up quickly and build for next year. :brfc:

Warnocks was undisclosed and half Bentleys money went back to Arsenal.

I'll rephrase, we were lead to believe it was in the region of about £7m.

Correct about Bentley, profit was the wrong word to use with regard to £17m. Still a terrific signing, and a fine example of Hughes ability to bring out the best in players.

You need to read Sav's autobiography as what you're saying here does not fit at all with what he says in his book. Sav asked for the move. Rovers (John Williams) LOWERED the price and then Sav actually took a pay cut to get the move done because Derby could not afford the fee.

I don't see how this matters particularly.

Do you agree with the rest of the post, and more importantly would you have trusted Hughes to spend the money effectively given his superb track record in previous transfers?

My two penneth;

For someone who seriously hated Allardyces tenure, the recent change in stlye has been lovely to see, but at the same time extremely concerning. The way we have set up against Wigan and Newcastle in particular is massively worrying - we seem to have no structure what so ever and seem way too fluid. The way we left Salgado exposed - an ageing right back who has been exposed for pace several times playing for us - for the vast majority of the game was incredible. A good winger would have carved us open, Bale/Young/etc would have created a multitude of chances and it could have been a massive drubbing. Why he set up that way I will never know, using Hoilett on the right wing with MGP on the left would have been far better. That's the negatives, but the positives have been promising too. V Spurs and Liverpool I have never seen us play like that, having started watching Rovers just when we got promoted. The Liverpool game in particular was a joy to watch, and for the first time in ages I felt seriously excited about the team, what with the potential signings of Formica/Rochina/Cruz etc.

It's going to be a massive learning curve for Kean, but if he gets it right it could be a bloody brilliant ride. That said, get it wrong and it will all end in tears. I'm confident the latter won't happen, but we just need to pick these 8 points up quickly and build for next year. :brfc:

Permit me mt twopennorth now michaelthomas.

That was the most predictable post following the sacking of Allardyce. :rolleyes: You talk about Kean going through a learning curve? I suggest you are doing the exact same thing. Don't worry though there are lots like you on here who are only prepared to learn the hard way.

Did you ever think it would be anything less that a learning curve for him? All in all, there is nothing we can do about it - the owners have said he will not be sacked, so why biccer and plot the downfall of your club? Look at the positives (of which there are many, a few of which haven't even made their debut yet) and get on with it.

Really well unless I was mistaken from the horses mouth himself in the Hordens that chain of events happened when he moved here from Brum. :blink:

Can anybody who was there recall what he said that night?

Bloody hell Gordon. Let me quote him DIRECTLY from his book. "Eventually, I went to see Sparky again. 'I want to go,' I told him. 'I can't do any more for you. I'm not getting in the team as regularly as I would like. I'm not a big influence any more. Can I go, please? I will never put a transfer request in, but let me get one last decent contract somewhere else. Sparky, this is the hardest thing I've ever done. You're my idol, and I'm asking to go.'" A bit further on... "Blackburn chairman John Williams was brilliant when it came to letting me go. I told him I didn't want to leave with a penny, and John very generously priced me at £1.5 million to help speed my departure."... (My mistake, he didn't take the pay cut to get the move from us...He also didn't take a pay cut to get to us either...) Read the book, it's very revealing.

Vale Park for sure but I'm not sure about Spotland Kelbo. I don't think we've played there in the league post war have we? :brfc:

Yes and it was a league game too!!

Vale Park was when we won 4 - 1 to win the league!!

Just found it.

1973/1974

English Division 3 (old) Sa 20Apr 1974 Blackburn 3 - 1 Rochdale

English Division 3 (old) Sa 08Dec 1973 Rochdale 1 - 2 Blackburn

I don't see how this matters particularly.

Do you agree with the rest of the post, and more importantly would you have trusted Hughes to spend the money effectively given his superb track record in previous transfers?

Did you not read my post further up?

As for Gordons post, he said one thing and based most of the rest of his post around that incorrect assumption hence the point.

Did you ever think it would be anything less that a learning curve for him? All in all, there is nothing we can do about it - the owners have said he will not be sacked, so why biccer and plot the downfall of your club? Look at the positives (of which there are many, a few of which haven't even made their debut yet) and get on with it.

I don't want a first team coach on a learning curve, in charge of a team flirting with relegation in the middle of February!

I think a few people on here under estimate how difficult being a manager actually is. Kean was appointed for a completely inexplicable reason by a group of people who know absolutely nothing about football, and worse than that seem to be completely unable to see the worth of proper football people i.e. John Williams and Sam Allardyce.

It's not bickering and plotting a downfall, it's genuine concern for our club.

Did you not read my post further up?

As for Gordons post, he said one thing and based most of the rest of his post around that incorrect assumption hence the point.

Sorry I was distracted by the MoN part of it :rolleyes:

I disagree, Gordon made his comment about Savage's departure (whichever way it came about) and then continued to discuss the lack of financial backing Hughes was given.

Whatever happened with Savage is fairly insignificant, we still got 1.5 million for him. The board in my opinion should have allowed Hughes to seek a replacement given his terrific track record.

I believe that this lack of support would have disgruntled Hughes big time and resulted in him not wanting to be at BRFC anymore.

I don't want a first team coach on a learning curve, in charge of a team flirting with relegation in the middle of February!

I think a few people on here under estimate how difficult being a manager actually is. Kean was appointed for a completely inexplicable reason by a group of people who know absolutely nothing about football, and worse than that seem to be completely unable to see the worth of proper football people i.e. John Williams and Sam Allardyce.

It's not bickering and plotting a downfall, it's genuine concern for our club.

Unfortunately Jimmy, certain posters dislke of Sam Allardyce has made them lose sight of what really matters- the clubs welfare.

Sorry I was distracted by the MoN part of it :rolleyes:

I disagree, Gordon made his comment about Savage's departure (whichever way it came about) and then continued to discuss the lack of financial backing Hughes was given.

Whatever happened with Savage is fairly insignificant, we still got 1.5 million for him. The board in my opinion should have allowed Hughes to seek a replacement given his terrific track record.

I believe that this lack of support would have disgruntled Hughes big time and resulted in him not wanting to be at BRFC anymore.

I agree and have made the same point myself further up...

Unfortunately Jimmy, certain posters dislke of Sam Allardyce has made them lose sight of what really matters- the clubs welfare.

I've noticed this myself pal. Careful what you say though, you'l be accused of undermining this football club with your continued criticism of the new regime. <_<

Archived