BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Orange San Francisco

Hi guys

Was just wondering, what is an Orange San Francisco? I'm guessing its locked for UK customers only? I work in cellphone buying department, and I know the brand ZTE, but not familiar with this phone.

80 pounds sounds like a very good price, but if its locked then I doubt I would be able to purchase it.

It's the Zte Blade which has been rebranded to the Orange San Fran for their UK market. It's the cheapest, most modable (is that a word lol) android phone on the market right now.

I believe that it costs almost £200 in other regions but is subsidised by Orange so they sell it much cheaper. It runs on an Orange version of Android Eclair 2.1, but here's where the fun begins.

You can unlock the phone to use it on any network and upgrade the software to Android 2.2 extremely easily. I've just bought one and am awaiting delivery :)

I'm getting one for the other half as a mothers day present off molly. Heard nothing but good things.

Although I have heard that it's being replaced with a new improved version in the next month or so. I'm waiting until the last minute to buy just in case the new version comes in at a good price.

Was waiting on the "Skate" myself Ricky but it got the better of me :lol:

I decided that I didn't want to wait until the late summer (it's officially out in May) to get it. Also the new one will be the same size as the Desire HD and a 4.3 inch screen is just too big for me.

Mine arrived this morning, an evening of modding awaits :)

I can't recommend highly enough for the price, I'm still not sure how they're making any profit on this thing.

The only downside is the camera, which is pretty awful to be honest. I've never used mobile cameras much anyway so it doesn't bother me, the rest more than makes up for it.

I bought the ZTE blade and wasnt impressed tbh, it felt cheap and simple things like the auto locking felt bad, and the quality of the build felt a bit cheap, for the price it is very much worth it but I decided to buy an Iphone.

I would'nt be put off this phone though its a great introduction to the smart phone in which I was miles behind and isnt light years away from the iphone apart from simplicity.

Great starter entry phone or for those that dont rely on it every day for work.

• 1 month later...

Changed my mind on this phone. Only connects to my Wi-Fi if I restart my router. It's slow. When I open a text sometimes it opens the one at the bottom of the page. When unlocking the phone there are sometimes random applications open :huh:. Seams to have a mind of its own.

I take it you're still using the original set up? If so then get it rooted and upgraded to Froyo - there's a handy guide on how to do this very easily here.

I've installed two custom rom on mine since I've had it and the present one coupled with the recent battery calibration that I've just recently completed has made it a dream to use. On top of that GiffGaff has just reinstated free data for all :D

Which rom did you flash it with? I would guess that's the source of your problem, I haven't had any of the issues you've mentioned.

The FLB is the recent and (apparently) most stable realise of 2.2, more info here - http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blade-roms-rom-customisation/333387/flb-froyo-g2-for-zte-blade-discussion-help-thread/

Try flashing using that if you are using a different one. If that doesn't solve it then it's either a hardware fault on your phone or your router settings (probably phone).

i think thi is just a myth... all that messing about surely cant be good for the battery?

It really isn't a myth, I did it too.

I'm pretty sure it's not physically doing anything to the battery, rather perfecting Android's judgement on how much battery is remaining.

I'm using Froyo on the Desire, but the battery life is ridiculous. I'm loving Android, but not being able to exit apps normally is frustrating me. I'm using ATK to kill the apps, but it just feels like an upgrade of winmo

Archived