BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Disabled Supporters

I've posted this also on Official Rovers messageboard but looking for lots of responses so posted on here also:

I'm wondering if anyone has had any problems with buying tickets and being catered for disabled supporters.

Basically someone I know has a disabled brother and he has; cerebral palsy, Haemophilia, Autism, Epilepsy and Learning difficulties. The autism causes the most difficulty at such environments because he is unable to cope with queuing! He runs off, he pokes people and pats them and waves. So being taken through exits and directed to seats makes the world of difference you see!!

They were told about not being able to get tickets for the game yesterday as they have no history of buying Rovers tickets, they were hoping for first football game for the brother yesterday. They were fine with this however the most concerning thing was they were then told: "we dont cater for Disabled people so there would be not point in ever trying to get a ticket to go and see Blackburn as the situation for disabled people going there there is only going to get worse!!!" Now when I first heard this I admit I was a bit sceptical however having spoken to them they are adamant it happened and I have to believe them!

Now that is dispicable and whoever said that should be ashamed! Is this an official line or someones own point of view?

Any responses would be brilliant!

Complete rubbish, I've never had, or heard of anyone disabled having anything but help from BRFC. I'm sure the likes of RoversMum will back me up on this. The 'no previous buyer history' line is normal for a game against a big side but nobody would/should say that Rovers don't cater for the disabled because they very much do. Apart from the wheelies having to get rained on in the Riverside which can't be fun.

I've posted this also on Official Rovers messageboard but looking for lots of responses so posted on here also:

I'm wondering if anyone has had any problems with buying tickets and being catered for disabled supporters.

Basically someone I know has a disabled brother and he has; cerebral palsy, Haemophilia, Autism, Epilepsy and Learning difficulties. The autism causes the most difficulty at such environments because he is unable to cope with queuing! He runs off, he pokes people and pats them and waves. So being taken through exits and directed to seats makes the world of difference you see!!

They were told about not being able to get tickets for the game yesterday as they have no history of buying Rovers tickets, they were hoping for first football game for the brother yesterday. They were fine with this however the most concerning thing was they were then told: "we dont cater for Disabled people so there would be not point in ever trying to get a ticket to go and see Blackburn as the situation for disabled people going there there is only going to get worse!!!" Now when I first heard this I admit I was a bit sceptical however having spoken to them they are adamant it happened and I have to believe them!

Now that is dispicable and whoever said that should be ashamed! Is this an official line or someones own point of view?

Any responses would be brilliant!

OK my son is disabled and I can tell you there are two seperate issues here. The first is very simple, for the City game there is nothing unusual with fans not on the data base to be refused tickets. It's standard practice to avoid infiltration. OK perhaps daft for a disabled fan but everyone does need to be treated equally.

Secondly Rovers are second to none as regards the disabled. Whoever made the statement in bold needs retraining. All disabled fans pay full price for their ticket and then provided they can prove entitlement can apply for a free "carer's ticket". This applies to STs and I imagine applies to individual match tickets. To prove entitlement you need the GP to sign a form the club provides to state the disabled person requires assistance INSIDE THE GROUND to ensure their safety, access to seats etc. The crucial point is inside the ground, Rovers cannot be expected to help with getting there!

With all the conditions you mention above I can't see this being a problem. The only restriction is the area of the ground the person uses. We are in the JW upper but generally the carer and disabled tickets are only issued for the lower tiers as access is easier.

I would contact the club, ask for Christine Peacock and get her to guide your friend in the right direction.

If you need help post on here or PM me. I'm happy to help, none of what you want / need is a problem at Ewood Park.

Although I've been physically disabled all my life, I've never had any problem once I get to the Disabled Persons' Entrance to the Ronnie Clayton Blackburn End and then through the gate into the Riverside. All the stewards I regularly meet at both these gates are, imo, brilliant, really helpful and a credit to the club. Their conduct and attitude is completely at variance with the attitude inherent in the remark you've quoted, hollowsr, and it saddens me to think that someone connected with the club would ever say anything like that.

As you say, if the people whom you know are adamant that this was said to them, then you, as their friend, have to take their word at face value. However, I hope feel sure that the club will take their complaint seriously and investigate it properly.

I would echo Paul's comment and suggest you speak directly to Christine Peacock at the club. If, after you have done that, you still have issues with the way you have been dealt with then please pm me and I will raise it through the Fans'Forum.

There will be no problems obtaining a ticket with a free pa (personal assistant), you just have to follow the procedure as Paul describes. As suggested contact Christine Peacock at the club. General Switchboard 08717021875.

If the person who said this to you was working in the ticket office then Christine Parkinson in the ticket office needs to know so that she can ensure it doesn't happen again.

You might like to consider joining the Blackburn Rovers Disabled Supporters Club information here

Archived