BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Firefox Crashes Constantly

I'm using version 7 of Firefox. Recently I get repeated instances of the browser crashing, closing and then if I try to re-open it crashes again. Re-booting seems to solve the problem until it crashes again. The crash seems to occur when I click a link in an open tab which then should take me to a new one.

Anyone else get this or have a solution

I've tried Safari a few times but don't like it. Is Chrome the best / most popular at present?

I'm not sure about most popular because a lot of PC users still use internet explorer with it being the standard browser (which I've heard is better than it once was). I've read several reviews which seem to put Chrome and Firefox on a par with each other for being the best.

As I said earlier Chrome does seem to use up a lot of power, if I have many tabs open it sends my poor old PC into overdrive, I guess this wouldn't be a problem on a better PC.

I used to really like Opera but like Firefox that started playing up on me so I ditched that. Never used safari before but have heard enough about it not to give it a try.

Have you tried turning it off and on again...

Sorry, couldn't reist :D

You could try altering what happens when you click on a link in the Options -> Tabs panel. Try changing to / from "Open new windows in a new tab instead". Alternatively, try uninstalling and reinstalling...which is a bit like turning it off and on again...

• Backroom

I've switched to Chrome, am sick and tired of Firefox crashing or taking a couple of minutes to load a page. The browser has major issues displaying ads and incorporating previous plug-ins into the million or so updates they do every year.

• Backroom

• YouTube has started crashing on me after I've watched a few videos. The sound continues to play but the video freezes along with the entire browser.
  • It has started slowing down the last few weeks. I think it's down to the default settings whereby it loads your most-visited websites and Apps.

I'll keep an eye out for these... sounds like they take a while to start appearing though.

It's a shame because I was a big fan of Firefox, it was the browser that saved me from the hell of IE :) but every time I use it lately there seems to be some kind of new update, and forums especially struggle to load - might be because of the ad-blocker having issues with advertisements that inevitably appear on forums, but even when I turned ad blocker off it had the same problem.

I was a little concerned when I read Chrome stores your data and sends it off to google, but I don't do anything untoward so it doesn't really matter anyway. The browser itself is very quick.

Archived