BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 3D Tv's

went for a wander today into comet and had a play with a few 3D tv's. I've done a bit of research and my mission was to establish the difference between the passive 3D and the active shutter 3D. I looked at a 47 inch LG passive and was pleasantly surprised for 700 notes. I then had a go with a Sony 46 active with the battery powered glasses and can't say there was much difference apart from about 400 quid! Has anyone here got a 3D tv and if so was it worth the cash and what model is it? I have a ps3 so have the 3d bluray player already. I don't have sky and have no intention of getting it either.

Im after one too. I wanted an LED 3D as they seem the clearest to look at....however Iv also read alot of reviews which say LED & LCD sometime struggle with spotrs, i.e. footy where as Plasma still handle them the best, even though the picture doesnt look at as clear.

Of the 3D Tv's iv seen, the powered glasses on a Sony TV have been BY FAR the best, compared to the likes of LG with the rubbish plastic glasses, that dont seem to show as much 3D detail.

For me personally I am yet to be convinced by 3D. Having watched a number of sporting events on some top of the range 3D tvs, I have come to the conclusion that I personally prefer to watch my sport in HD rather than 3D. In terms of picture quality, I have found that HD is better than 3D. Ditto for watching 3D movies, apart from Hugo, I have been left very disappointed by 3D movies I have watched at the Cinema.

Recently I watched the new mission impossible on IMAX and that was a far superior experience than anything that I have seen on 3D.

:lol: as you may have guessed I am not a big fan of 3D, normally I embrace new technology but 3D has left me rather cold.

i have to admit i am a bit of a geek when it comes to this sort of stuff and feel obliged to get in on the act. I'm wondering though if this sort of thing should be left to the cinema on massive screens as opposed to the living room with those awful bloody curtains the wife chose distracting me everytime i put on the box.

• 2 weeks later...

i ended up buying one. Been playing on uncharted 3 in 3D which makes the game even more amazing. I bought a 42 550T LG, used all my nectar points, a few vouchers and gift cards, flogged my old tv for £200 so ended up paying about £300 for it. Watched a few 3D programmes on virgin on demand and I'm impressed. Have requested a few 3D blurays off my lovefilm subscription as well.

i ended up buying one. Been playing on uncharted 3 in 3D which makes the game even more amazing. I bought a 42 550T LG, used all my nectar points, a few vouchers and gift cards, flogged my old tv for £200 so ended up paying about £300 for it. Watched a few 3D programmes on virgin on demand and I'm impressed. Have requested a few 3D blurays off my lovefilm subscription as well.

The best games so far I have found for 3D were Batman Arkum City and Assassin's Creed: Revelations. Again most of the confusion is people thinking things are going to be flying out of the TV - because they dont. What it does do is really show you the depth and the characters really stand out especially on Assassins Creed.

The TV I have has 'smart tv' built in and one of the Apps is a 3D one which lets you watch documentries for free - things on there really do pop out.

I have Sky 3D which shows the prem games. The viewing angle is much closer to the pitch than the normal viewing angle and while yes it kind of makes you feel a little like your watching from the crowd I prefer to watch from the normal angle.

This is my baby:

samsungled.jpg

I was looking at getting a Samsung Smart TV, infact it looks like the one in your image.

Whats the smart tv stuff like? I see it links to youtube etc?

Can you use it as a media server if you download films? Tell me more!!

Smart TV just lets you download little apps like Iplayer/lovefilm etc and the odd game. Dont get me wrong its no apple app store by any stretch but the amount of time I have jumped on the iplayer (which I didnt really do with the ps3 evern though its under the telly) is amazing.

It sees your laptop drive wirelessly so it can just see your films and pictures from there. It also has usb slots in the side to if you want to store films there. I love that its really thin though.

The next one up from mine dosent have a frame and is just like looking through a window - it looks mint.

Been looking at the Samsung UE40D6530 from Dixons (they're the cheapest I've found from a half decent retailer). It also does the 2D to 3D conversion which apparently is pretty decent especially via blu ray.

Seriously ignore that its just a gimmick and dosent really work. When I was stupid and rushed out and bought mine the first month it came out I got it home and very quickly realised that no 3D content was out at the time. Honest, no sky 3D no games. I had monsters vs aliens 3d and that was it. Very stupid. Given that I tried the 2D to 3D and well....its bobbins.

Other than that the TV is great.

Be warned everyone though things are a changing...........again. The next step is super HD (no I am not making that up) which makes normal HD look pants. There are also TV's in the work that let you upgrade them as you would a pc so kind of future proof (the samsung I have lets you download firmware updates by the way). No glasses 3D tv is also promissed but how good that will be is anyones guess.

Archived