BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England vs South Africa 1st Test

Little bit surprised there hasn't been a thread on this yet, it should be a cracking series between IMO the best two sides in Test Cricket. With home advantage I think England will sneak the series 1-0, if it had been a 5 match series (which it really should have been) then I think the South Africans would have edged it.

Plenty of action already. Morkel strikes early, Strauss gone.

At home England really are a strong unit, IMO a 5 match series would have shown their class even more.

Being the Oval, I think we could see plenty of runs scored for there first 3 days, Swann to skittle them 4th/5th day.

Interesting first day. South Africa bowled a tight line and restricted England's scoring while England were watchful and did not give their wickets away as they would have done in the past. Only three wickets down in a full day against that potent attack is pretty good going. Cook continues his rich vein of form and is fulfilling the promise I predicted for him many years ago. If Test Match Special need another commentator I am available at the normal union rate.

roverandout's DiMaggio-like streak for making only negative comments continues.

Cook is such a talent and he's set the platform nicely for a big first-innings score for England. The bowlers will need to be on top form to make sure we have a lead going into the second innings though, Smith, de Villiers, Amla and Kallis is a a pretty strong batting line-up.

I think England will win the series, but with the batsman-friendly track at the Oval and the quality of the batsmen on show I think this first match will be a draw.

So why is the test series between the top 2 ranked sides only 3 tests?

Great start by England today, although not a massive amount of runs, if SA get 2-3 early wickets tomorrow they are right back in I the mix. Hope the weather doesn't force a draw, although I think the 4th innings may be very difficult batting on that wicket too.

So why is the test series between the top 2 ranked sides only 3 tests?

......because the ECB has mucked up almost every summer for the past ten years or so by having 2 touring sides (West Indies were here in June) and umpteen one-day internationals and Twenty20 matches. This year they squeezed in a meaningless one-day competition with Australia as well.

Cricket like football is now driven by money.

Too much cricket ? Only 6 tests this summer ? 5 last winter. Think theres 4 in India. More than before but you don't get the 2 month warm ups now.

Love test cricket. Even a good day for England means nothing yet.

Too much cricket ? Only 6 tests this summer ? 5 last winter. Think theres 4 in India. More than before but you don't get the 2 month warm ups now.

Love test cricket. Even a good day for England means nothing yet.

Too many ODIs. Not enough tests.

Pathetic showing by England with bat and ball. Back to the bad old days with bowlers unable to take a wicket on a flat pitch and the batsmen continually finding different ways to get themselves out - in almost every case in the second innings the batsman gave his wicket away with a poor shot. Oh for the Barrington and Boycott and Barnacle Bailey of yore. Will have show vast improvement for the next 2 Tests or it could be a 3-0 whitewash.

• 1 month later...

Archived