BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Any NHL fans on here?

Been out in Canada for two years now so obviously become a hockey fan (it'd be like living in England and not being a football fan). Just wondered if anyone else on here is into the NHL as I know there's a few NFL fans.

If so what's your thoughts on the impending lockout (for the 2nd time in only a few years)?

Last lockout was in 2005, no cup winner that year.

Perhaps its the players turn to give in and I hate saying that. I like the Minnesota Wild, they just got Zack Parise (hometown boy) and another big name player so should be much better.

But reading articles, it sounds like it is going to happen. And that has to be bad for the image of the sport.

I think it's bad for the sport because though ice hockey is probably tv ratings and popularity behind the NFL, baseball and I guess basketball, you see the teams themselves fill the arenas and in the playoffs, even the southern cities like Nashville and the Florida teams, there are big sell out crowds for the playoffs. So, if you're hooked, you love it.

I'm sorry that the Canadian teams don't always fair well in the playoffs, that part is unfair, one of my favourite clubs is Montreal, I'm always hoping for the Leafs to come back and the Senators (Ottawa) are okay, if the Canucks make the SC finals, I have cheered for them though I think teams like Boston or the LA Kings winning their first last season is good for the sport. Kind of hard to say but ice hockey is good, pro-basketball leaves me cold. I'd be happy for Winnipeg, the Jets to do well also.

Where are you from Audux?

Not really into the NHL like I am with NBA and the NFL but I used to watch it occasionally and liked Tampa Bay Lightning because of Khabibulin.....not watched in years though......probably not since I was in Montreal in 2002 actually.

Is the lockout over wages?

Thanks I am in Minnesota at the time and I have a computer hard drive problem, I have access to this other one but can't always get on.

Looks like the problem is over Revenue Share.

A: At its core, this is a dispute over money.The league's labor contract, agreed to seven years ago, expires at midnight EDT Saturday night. Having gained a salary cap in the current collective bargaining agreement, NHL owners want additional economic concessions from players. Players currently receive 57 percent of hockey-related revenue, and the owners want to bring that number down as far as perhaps 47 percent.

http://nbcsports.msn.../ns/sports-nhl/

Thanks Salgado, I was reading the game thread yesterday but couldn't make many comments on the game itself.

--------

Side note, there is a real Pub up here: http://www.britspub.com/ and the owners are from Burnley rather sure, I get the email newsletter. So a lot happens down there but it's in the city, I'm really not in the city but go once in a blue moon. So, they actually say Beckham went in there once when Beckham's LA Galaxy team were playing their Tour type games. Darn cold here for months at a time but otherwise rather nice.

Started the topic but never got round to replying!

Big Canucks fan myself having spent my first year here in Vancouver and mostly Whistler. Moved to Banff so thought it'd all be Flames fans from Calgary but a good mixed bag of Canucks, Flames, Oilers, Candiens, Leafs fans so pretty good. Shame about the lock out but that's the stupid thing about the whole thing being a business and teams being franchises. Not the players fault in my opinion though definitely issues with the owners and the commissioner there.

Apparently at the talks today they managed to sort out loads of non important issues but didn't even get on to the stuff that separates them.

I heard on the radio there is a billion (yes that is a b there) dollars between their estimations on what each party wants. Don't see why each side can't concede $500k each and meet in the middle they've all got plenty of cash?!

Not really a massive hockey fan, but always kept an eye on the Redwings because of an old sega megadrive game NHL93 (or something like that?) i had.

Bob Probert was an animal on that game & never lost a punch up :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

Well the NHL made an offer to the NHLPA saying 50/50 split, not quite where I see it ending but at least progress is being made. Think Bettman is keen to thrash out a deal so they can still fit in the 82 game regular season starting on Nov 2nd. Hopefully the NHLPA comes back with a counter offer quickly and an agreement can be reached all round and we can see some hockey again!

I just saw some of these "Lord Stanley Jackets"

http://www.lids.com/...ey-Track-Jacket

Check them out, they have graphics of each Stanley Cup the team won on the back, it was a bit weighty.

http://www.lids.com/...-Leafs/20399180

I saw the Maple Leafs jacket, kind of like the colors more than the other teams. The above link shows the back of the jacket.

Obviously, these are a bit pricey.

You can also see the shape of the Cup actually evolves a bit through the years.

And they only have it for 7 teams, the Original 6, Canadiens, Redwings, Leafs, Bruins, Rangers and Blackhawks and then the Penguins too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived