BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] RIP Mel Smith

Am I the only one that thinks the abbreviation/term R.I.P. just seems pretty crass and insincere theses days, not that I believe its actually meant with any insincerity but that's just the way it looks to me, its just such an easy throw-away thing to type relative to the issue its acknowledging.

A las Smith&jones and not the 9 o'clock news where iconic and very influential sketch shows in the 80s/early 90s, Mel Smith was always the funny one(I thought) and just came across as a really nice gentle bloke,

Mel smith was also a brilliant comedy writer and producer and was behind some of the best comedy shows of the last decade or so, shame he did do much in front of the cameras after smith and jones(but I think that was through choice, not lack of offers)

60 may not have been 'old' but im sure most people would be happy to achieve a fraction of what he has in those 60 years,

p.s. his movie 'Morons from out of space'-possibly in the so bad its good category(though it really was just terribly bad)

R.I.P. Mel

You gave me some wonderful laughs in my youth

RIP Mel.

I'm with you here will. Superb deadpan delivery he had. A clever and funny guy.

The world has lost some good guys in the last few days (see the threads on the main forum). God bless them all.

No one wants to hear of people dying but death it is a fact of life. I'm not sure why people who appear in public are any more deserving than anyone else of public condolence but the other day this was headline news on the BBC. Not really surprising cos all these media luvvies fall over themselves to make endless Award programmes the rest of the time.

Now this is weird....... For some reason the other morning I was reminded of Pamela Stevenson and Not the 9 O Clock news, and my thoughts strayed to Smith and Jones and an image of him and GRJ chins on fists staring at each other across the table. I've never thought of Smith for years but I thought quite randomly 'we see GRJ plenty of times on telly but I wonder what Mel Smith is up to'. Turns out that although it wasn't announced until midday that Mel Smith had already died!

Anybody watch 'Fringe' ? :huh:

No one wants to hear of people dying but death it is a fact of life. I'm not sure why people who appear in public are any more deserving than anyone else of public condolence but the other day this was headline news on the BBC. Not really surprising cos all these media luvvies fall over themselves to make endless Award programmes the rest of the time.

Now this is weird....... For some reason the other morning I was reminded of Pamela Stevenson and Not the 9 O Clock news, and my thoughts strayed to Smith and Jones and an image of him and GRJ chins on fists staring at each other across the table. I've never thought of Smith for years but I thought quite randomly 'we see GRJ plenty of times on telly but I wonder what Mel Smith is up to'. Turns out that although it wasn't announced until midday that Mel Smith had already died!

Anybody watch 'Fringe' ? :huh:

Feeling responsible Theno?

Archived