BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] RIP Nelson Mandela

I have been fortunate enough to make frequent visits to Cape Town over the past 18 months with work and found it to be a fantastic city. Already looking forward to my next trip in mid Jan.

I would back up CTR's local view in that there are many restaurants / bars etc that have a equal mix of faces and it does not seem to matter on the "quality" of the venue. The other thing to note is that the customers are also mixed to a similar degree.

I usually stay up in the Newlands area which is a very nice area and my "local" pub there is a place called Barristers which has probably a greater % of white staff than other shades of humanity.

I have travelled through Jo'burg on a couple of occasions and do not particularly like the place I must admit. As a whole SA still has a long way to go but it is a shinning light as to what can be achieved compared to some of the other shyte holes I have visited in Africa. I just hope progress can continue to be made starting with the elections in April '14.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, like Hezbollah, the Taliban, IRA etc.....

I just prefer my activists more like Steve Biko and a little less, you know, terroristy like the Umkhonto we Sizwe and the ANC.

In fairness the ANC were a bit more justified in their violent actions imo as black people weren't allowed to vote and therefore couldn't change the system democratically. There is no defence for the actions of the IRA as if the people of Ireland wanted Irish nationallists in power they would vote Sinn Fein.

O2G just to point out something, Gugulethu is a township where there are only black people. that is a poor area, and you will find other places like Langa, Khayalitsha, etc which are all the same. majority of tourists enjoy going to these places, as its a far cry from some of the other places in Cape Town. you are right though, the country still has a fair way to go in terms of that aspect.

I have been fortunate enough to make frequent visits to Cape Town over the past 18 months with work and found it to be a fantastic city. Already looking forward to my next trip in mid Jan.

I would back up CTR's local view in that there are many restaurants / bars etc that have a equal mix of faces and it does not seem to matter on the "quality" of the venue. The other thing to note is that the customers are also mixed to a similar degree.

I usually stay up in the Newlands area which is a very nice area and my "local" pub there is a place called Barristers which has probably a greater % of white staff than other shades of humanity.

I have travelled through Jo'burg on a couple of occasions and do not particularly like the place I must admit. As a whole SA still has a long way to go but it is a shinning light as to what can be achieved compared to some of the other shyte holes I have visited in Africa. I just hope progress can continue to be made starting with the elections in April '14.

nice one Aberdeen Blue. btw Newlands in Cape Town is basically and upmarket part of Cape Town. its a really nice area, close to Claremont where you can do some shopping and so on. if you really want a good experience, then i suggest staying at the Waterfront or at a place close to the beaches like Camps Bay, Sea Point or Clifton. im sure you know that already as you have spent a fair amount of time here already.

You could add Hout Bay to that list but I can't imagine why anyone would want to stay at The Waterfront. Spent an afternoon there in early December. It's identical to every waterfront development I've seen in Europe, full of designer shops, very high priced restaurants serving rather average food. Characterless.

Had no choice but to go there as it's the jump off point for Robben Island.

I know what you mean by the shops etc down the V&A waterfront being just as you would find anywhere but there are a few very good restaurants, the Harbour House in particular is fantastic.

Never made it to Robben Island yet but on the to do list for '14.

Hotel wise my usual base is The Vineyard up in Newlands which is absolutely beautiful. Would highly recommend if you are ever down there again.

We went to see Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom on Saturday night. Anyone who has read the book or knows a bit about Mandela will realise large chunks are missing. Dealing with 70 years in just over 2 hours is impossible and I felt this is a very good film which captures many of the key moments in his life and South Africa's struggle to freedom.

Some very interesting old footage spliced in to the story.

I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema and the audience didn't get up and leave the moment the credits rolled. No one moved on Saturday for a good minute or so.

• Backroom

We went to see Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom on Saturday night. Anyone who has read the book or knows a bit about Mandela will realise large chunks are missing. Dealing with 70 years in just over 2 hours is impossible and I felt this is a very good film which captures many of the key moments in his life and South Africa's struggle to freedom. Some very interesting old footage spliced in to the story. I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema and the audience didn't get up and leave the moment the credits rolled. No one moved on Saturday for a good minute or so.

Despicable Me 2.

We went to see Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom on Saturday night. Anyone who has read the book or knows a bit about Mandela will realise large chunks are missing. Dealing with 70 years in just over 2 hours is impossible and I felt this is a very good film which captures many of the key moments in his life and South Africa's struggle to freedom. Some very interesting old footage spliced in to the story. I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema and the audience didn't get up and leave the moment the credits rolled. No one moved on Saturday for a good minute or so.

Why? Did you all not wake up until they put the lights on?

Archived