BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolves V Rovers Fa Cup Final 7Th May 1960

I have already posted the link in the Rovers v Wolves thread but it deserves it's own thread.

A full video of the 1960 FA Cup Final. My Dad and 2 Uncles went to Wembley but I didn't - I was just 8 at the time, in fact it was my 8th Birthday that day. I only came across this today and have never seen the full game before.

We lost but its a rare chance to see some of the old Rovers greats in action.

Rovers Team: Harry Leyland, John Bray, Dave Whelan, Ronnie Clayton ©, Matt Woods, Mick McGrath, Louis Bimpson, Peter Dobing, Derek Dougan, Bryan Douglas, Ally MacLeod.

Bugger I should have proof read the Title, sorry for the typos :blush:

From Wiki: The game was broadcast live on television on the BBC Grandstand programme (12:45pm to 5pm) with commentary by Kenneth Wolstenholme. Only four cameras used for the entire broadcast while use of on-screen score captions, which had been adopted for the first time the previous year was dropped. Wolstenholme described the game early on as 'The White Shirt Final' due to the breathless heat within Wembley Stadium, which lead to the vast majority of spectators to remove their jackets. As it was still the custom to attend the cup final in 'Sunday best' this led to an arena dominated by white shirted spectators.

The press dubbed the game 'The Dustbin Final' due in part to the feeling that the game had been "rubbish" but also for the bad reaction by Blackburn fans to the victorious Wolves team as they paraded the cup being pelted with match programmes, paper cups and other rubbish accumulated in the stands during the game.

As well as television the game was also broadcast live on BBC Radio while black and white newsreel footage from both Pathe and Movietone was screened in cinemas that evening.

Terrible day for the club all round.

Dougan asked for a transfer on the morning of the game ! Dave Whelan broke his leg and Rovers (who were expected to win) played poorly in a one-sided match.

And then there was the infamous tickets scandal - which still reverberates around the town now.

Many fans never went to Ewood again and the furore probably did more lasting damage to the club than Venkys.

I was there and have no wish to revisit it! Sorry, but it was very hard to take.

Understand. I had another Uncle from Blackburn who never went back to Ewood after he failed to get a ticket, and he only lived in Kirby Road!

Still it's part of our DNA and younger fans should know about it and it was a chance to see Duggie play a full game.

Archived